Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

micngill

Northampton pull out of Ch1

45 posts in this topic

Just read on love rugby league that the Northampton Rebels will not be joining Ch1 next season. I wonder where that leaves clubs in that league? Rather worrying I feel. But at least they should be ale to plug the gap hopefully.

Don't panic the RFL have a grass roots club in Azerbazhan lined up to step in

surely there is a plan b

surely there is a plan b

Yes Stobarts are going to advertise on the side of their wagons by the way of stickers to attract any clubs wanting the remaining two places.

How about asking Cobblers On Calder Kickers and Upyours Pirates to join up?

You can look at this 2 ways, 1 it's another embarrasment for the RFL or 2 they aren't happy with the financial situation or preparation of Northampton for their entry into the semi pro league and confronted them for assurances forcing Northampton to withdraw. The embarassment would have been to let them in first then find out half way through the season that they couldn't sustain it.

You can look at this 2 ways, 1 it's another embarrasment for the RFL or 2 they aren't happy with the financial situation or preparation of Northampton for their entry into the semi pro league and confronted them for assurances forcing Northampton to withdraw. The embarassment would have been to let them in first then find out half way through the season that they couldn't sustain it.

i agree Phil, it's down to Northampton, not the rfl

True Phil but I would have thought all checks are done before they announce their place in the league...you know like they did when they GAVE Bradford a franchise....NOT;

True Phil but I would have thought all checks are done before they announce their place in the league...you know like they did when they GAVE Bradford a franchise....NOT;

Much too simples, Phil.

Maybe they did some checks prior to allowing them in but have gone back to check the progress and aren't happy where Northampton are? I don't know but i'd rather see Northampton pull out now than having to be bailed out during the season.

Unfortunately didn't happen like that. The RFL went and asked Northampton Town if they wanted a club in Championship 1 to which they said only if you don't let Coventry Bears in. 9 months after their acceptance they met a rugby league coach for the first time and found out how much it cost to run a Championship 1 club for the first time and instantly withdrew. The RFL had known for months there was no substance to Northampton Rebels but refused to admit it as they didn't think they could get 4 new clubs otherwise.

the rugby football league, setting the standard in how not to.

the rugby football league, setting the standard in how not to.

Did Branley get a chance? Love to see them back.

Did Branley get a chance? Love to see them back.

Or even Bramley. Senior moment.

Branley, all their supporters were regular. ;)

Branley, all their supporters were regular. ;)

Well they did play at Barley Mow!

Well they did play at Barley Mow!

McLaren field, perhaps they should be in formula 1, not championship 1

Or even Bramley. Senior moment.

Do you really want a club that can't raise a team every week and rents a NCL ground in Championship 1?

Do you really want a club that can't raise a team every week and rents a NCL ground in Championship 1?

Don't know the ins and outs of their position. Remember them from their league days. Just a bit of nostalgia. But looking at the make up of championship one there are going to be quite a lot of non established clubs. Only Rochdale and Oldham have any pedigree. It is going to be a strange mixture next season.

We had to play them yesterday and their response to losing was to attack our players including with WWF style slams. Hope we win next week or we get them in the playoffs.

I do agree we should have more new heartland clubs as well at that level to balance out as too many new clubs for one league makes it unstable not just for Oldham and Rochdale but also the more stable expansion teams (eg Skolars)

Recent news is that Championship One will play with 9 teams next season with Coventry joining them in 2014,

Surely the most sensible idea would be to offer invitations to Championship 1 clubs to submit their academy/reserve teams for consideration.

I think one or two clubs will fold in Championship 1 next season, the RFL should hang their heads in shame at what they have come up with for next season.

The championship has been watered down to much and wont be as competitive.