Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bedford Roughyed

The TV Thread

2,119 posts in this topic

I don't have a tv, is this a crime?

Doesn't seem to stop you complaining about TV programmes, though.

Total car-crash television. A second series was not commissioned. Rugby League-related stuff starts about 58-59 minutes in.

to be fair - there are tvs in our house but I very rarely watch, my mrs made me sit through the last episode of ripper street last night, the overacting was almost un bearable, why do the blokes need to talk in such low gruff clichés pirate voices so they are almost inaudible? (suppose they have practiced it at lot at luvvie overacting school)  as for the finale boxing match, well it made Apollo creed v rocky look realistic! then followed by the well over due for the axe buzzcocks! who told noel fielding he was funny? absolute garbage the lot of it!

to be fair - there are tvs in our house but I very rarely watch, my mrs made me sit through the last episode of ripper street last night, the overacting was almost un bearable, why do the blokes need to talk in such low gruff clichés pirate voices so they are almost inaudible? (suppose they have practiced it at lot at luvvie overacting school)  as for the finale boxing match, well it made Apollo creed v rocky look realistic! then followed by the well over due for the axe buzzcocks! who told noel fielding he was funny? absolute garbage the lot of it!

There must be something wrong with the speakers on my telly.

P&O Ferries won the workplace choir final last night when one of the the other two finalists ... Citi Bank ... sounded 50% better than them.

why do the blokes need to talk in such low gruff clichés pirate voices so they are almost inaudible?

That's a good shout, Ray Winstone's fallen into that category now. If you see him on work when he was younger, eg ####, Fox, Quadrophenia and Auf Weidersehen pet he has a squeaky, almost soprano voice. You hear him nowadays it's like he's had 600 Regal and a gallon of gravel.

Anybody else watching Christmas University Challenge?

Overall, these captains of industry and leaders of society are pretty useless, even in a dumbed down version of the programme.

Anybody else watching Christmas University Challenge?

Overall, these captains of industry and leaders of society are pretty useless, even in a dumbed down version of the programme.

It's the one version of the show where I feel intelligent as I can often answer the questions, especially the maths ones, faster than everyone else.  Too often in the normal one, I sit going "nope, don't know that one either"...

We finally watched the last two episodes of Ripper Street tonight.  Absolutely gutted it was cancelled by the Beeb as it's the most enjoyable programme I've seen from them in many a year.  The last episode alone was hugely gripping.  I'd hate to think what they think is more entertaining than that, maybe some re-runs of things they've re-run 20 times since the 1970s?

We finally watched the last two episodes of Ripper Street tonight.  Absolutely gutted it was cancelled by the Beeb as it's the most enjoyable programme I've seen from them in many a year.  The last episode alone was hugely gripping.  I'd hate to think what they think is more entertaining than that, maybe some re-runs of things they've re-run 20 times since the 1970s?

It might be great, but if no one watches....

Our plans for a quiet Christmas include trying to catch up on the following shows:

American Horror Story - Coven

Witches of East End (the wife got that out me as a compromise for the next one)

Continuum (with the lovely Rachel Nichols)

Modern Family (with the lovely Sophia Vergara)

Elementary (with the lovely Lucy Liu)

Grimm

We'll probably catch up on one or two then wonder where the two weeks have gone!

It might be great, but if no one watches....

Very true.  They have had issues with sound where the male characters trying to London-ise their accents have become mumblers drowned out by the other set noises but that's not a huge issue if you pay attention.

Very true.  They have had issues with sound where the male characters trying to London-ise their accents have become mumblers drowned out by the other set noises but that's not a huge issue if you pay attention.

To be fair, I really liked it too!

Shed some tears watching Garry Barlow in Afghanistan - and what a fantastic concert everyone enjoyed. The soldiers taking part will certainly have some great memories to tell in future years. One guy was very emotional after Garry presented him with a guitar. I'll be watching it again that's for sure.

Never seen an episode (not really my thing) but there is talk it will come back as a co-production with one of the streaming sites - Netflix or Lovefilm, can't remember which. This will probably be the future of a lot of TV shows I think.

I don't think the BBC should chase the ratings for shows like this, especially as for a bit of the series it was up against things like I'm A Celeb.

Never seen an episode (not really my thing) but there is talk it will come back as a co-production with one of the streaming sites - Netflix or Lovefilm, can't remember which. This will probably be the future of a lot of TV shows I think.

I don't think the BBC should chase the ratings for shows like this, especially as for a bit of the series it was up against things like I'm A Celeb.

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place  on ratings.

They get a lot of criticism for chasing ratings, but also criticism for wasting money.  If ratings are poor then are they wasting money?

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

Went to bed for an hour finished up sleeping right through

Missed last tango not sky plussed it

Feck

Not  bothered about  owt else

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Feck

BBC I player Chris. Season's greetings by the way.

BBC I player Chris. Season's greetings by the way.

Same to you mate

I player it is but it's not the same somehow

Same to you mate

I player it is but it's not the same somehow

VGA straight into the back of the telly buddy. Have a good en see you soon.

Feck

LTIH is coming back for a 3rd series Q3 2014

Casablanca was on TV yesterday

Edited by JohnM

Good documentary on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. Footage the last UK Sex Pistols gig in Huddersfield (a benefit for striking fireman's kids incidentally). Unseen footage and all that. Think it's a Julian Temple job.

Good documentary on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. Footage the last UK Sex Pistols gig in Huddersfield (a benefit for striking fireman's kids incidentally). Unseen footage and all that. Think it's a Julian Temple job.

Wasn't that Christmas Eve 77? I was too young to go (11) a couple of mates genuinely went. The reason I say genuinely is that, that gig is one event that everyone you talk to said they went to. It was a bit like Beefy getting 149 at Headingley in 81, everyone was there that day also.

Edited by Andrew Vause

VGA straight into the back of the telly buddy. Have a good en see you soon.

LTIH is coming back for a 3rd series Q3 2014

Casablanca was on TV yesterday

I'm glad about that but I think that should be the last

Bloody hell Casablanca is one of my ultimate movies

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso