Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bedford Roughyed

The TV Thread

2,068 posts in this topic

How could I? You can't move for someone wittering on about it. Wonderfully made no doubt, but really not up my street at all. Sometimes I think I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't like it!

Although - top tip - Sky Atlantic are showing the first episode at 2am on Sunday Night/Monday Morning at the same time as the US. Worth setting the Sky+ if you are one of those impatient types.

The books are better as they allow more depth rather than the producers trying to hide some of the inevitable gaps with extra nudity.  There's one hell of a lot missed from the books to TV but then that's the nature of the medium.  Good but, well, not as good as the books.

Brucie leaves 'Strictly'!

The books are better as they allow more depth rather than the producers trying to hide some of the inevitable gaps with extra nudity.  There's one hell of a lot missed from the books to TV but then that's the nature of the medium.  Good but, well, not as good as the books.

I sort of gave up after 5 books. I mean to go back one day to finish the series but after a great start I felt it sort of lost it's way and was being dragged out for the sake of it. No idea how many books there are in the series or if they have finally reached a conclusion yet.

...  the producers trying to hide some of the inevitable gaps with extra nudity. 

Hmm, Indira Varma is joining the cast this season.

Wouldn't it be terrible ... ;)

200px-Indira_Varma.jpg

I've never watched or even been remotely interesting in watching either Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. Not one for bandwagons me, nor can I be bothered to do catch up box-set stuff anymore.

I am looking forward to Monday though, 7.30pm BBC2, Great British Menu is back. I think it's a lot better than Masterchef - which I don't watch - because it's 'proper' chefs at the top of their game competing in a wholly uncomplicated format. Nice.

Game of Thrones is great.

The Trip is back tonight as well, really enjoyed the last series.

Game of Thrones is great.  I have read every book.  They are books about people and political intrigue rather than dragons and goblins.

I first saw it in the US part way through series 2.  A group of us saw it half way through an episode, saw it through and found out what the programme was to see the rest.

That said, it is starting to feel a little like a soap opera. 

It's hard going, not because of the story line but the 2 main characters are very intense. I am about 1/2 way through and going to keep on with it.

It is intense. I also find some of the dialogue is hard to follow, especially with Matthew McConaughey.

Has anyone watched 15 to 1 with Sandi Toksvig presenting. I usually like Sandi but her performance is slow, laboured and littered with errors in pronunciation and understanding on her part. Frankly, I find it difficult to watch!

I liked the original 15 to 1 and I like Sandi, but this revival is utterly dreadful. It's slow and needlesly drawn out over an hour Wasn't the original only half an hour? 45 mins max surely.

I'll stick this here because I watched it on telly...

Watched Man of Steel tonight. Nope, didn't enjoy it. It was just a film about aliens. The lack of a decent theme just made it bland. A well timed triumphant John Williams' Superman theme might have made it better.

I'll stick this here because I watched it on telly...

Watched Man of Steel tonight. Nope, didn't enjoy it. It was just a film about aliens. The lack of a decent theme just made it bland. A well timed triumphant John Williams' Superman theme might have made it better.

was awful. Hate what they did with the battle scenes.

Spoiler free!

Just had a Walking Dead marathon today.  Now THAT's how to finish a series.

The second half of this series took a markedly different and more personal approach to things, becoming a lot darker in areas but with some well thought out areas of light.  I thought it was outstanding writing and outstanding acting and probably the best season yet.  One hell of a lot later than I planned and I now need to get to sleep for work in the morning.

That new ITV breakfast show:

You need sunglasses on to watch the set and the presenters' outfits.

Forced Joi de Vivre set at maximum.

Worse than before.

I briefly turned over from BBC breakfast this morning for a fix of Susanna Reid. It lasted a couple of minutes before switching back to BBC

I briefly turned over from BBC breakfast this morning for a fix of Susanna Reid. It lasted a couple of minutes before switching back to BBC

Could you see her behind all her make-up? The presenters are all plastered in it, and it's orange.

Just seen my mates wife as an extra on Coronation Street. Well impressive

Very much enjoying The Trip to Italy.

Me too, love it.

I'm slightly behind the times with my TV viewing again, but inspired by a recent trip to Normandy and having visited many of the D-Day sites and memorials over there, I decided to finally get round to watching the box set of Band of Brothers that has been sat on my DVD shelf unopened for many a long year.

I wish I hadn't left it so long now. Absolutely superb viewing. Totally gripping, horrifying and inspiring. The cameos at the beginning of each episode with the actual veterans talking about the various campaigns they were involved in being depicted on screen are incredibly moving.

I'm slightly behind the times with my TV viewing again, but inspired by a recent trip to Normandy and having visited many of the D-Day sites and memorials over there, I decided to finally get round to watching the box set of Band of Brothers that has been sat on my DVD shelf unopened for many a long year.

I wish I hadn't left it so long now. Absolutely superb viewing. Totally gripping, horrifying and inspiring. The cameos at the beginning of each episode with the actual veterans talking about the various campaigns they were involved in being depicted on screen are incredibly moving.

My favourite tv show (ok, mini series) ever.

Well that and The Royle Family (but only to The Queen of Sheba).

Try watching the Russian Television News on Sky channel 512. It gives a completely different angle on the Ukraine crisis. It also shows active footage of what's going on in the streets.

Seems to me that the Ukrainian soldiers and government dept personnel are just as ruthless and vicious as the Russian rebels.

Propaganda? Maybe, but no worse than the pro-Kiev slant the mainstream UK channels are shoving down our throats.

The BBC should be ashamed of itself.

Try watching the Russian Television News on Sky channel 512. It gives a completely different angle on the Ukraine crisis. 

Really?  You do surprise me.

Yes but the station shows actual footage, not a shot of a reporter stood on top of a hotel about  a mile away from where the action is taking place.

It seems the Ukraine government can't do anything about the eastern-half defectors so is wreaking revenge on the ethnic-russians in the western half of the country.

The BBC is projecting Ukraine as a poor defenceless country beset by the big Russian bully. That may well be true but, before all this kicked off, it was happy to default on its payments for Russian gas and previous presidential candidates have poisoned or thrown in jail. One former Ukrainian Prime Minister was convicted in the United States on charges of money laundering and fraud for billions of dollars.

It is a banana republic and the EU should have nothing to do with it.

It seems the Ukraine government can't do anything about the eastern-half defectors so is wreaking revenge on the ethnic-russians in the western half of the country.

How brave of the state controlled Russian media to point this out.