Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

The TV Thread

Recommended Posts

Really?
Today's BBC Escape to the Country was people escaping from Hull to Lincolnshire, just cross the Humber Bridge, and commute. Thick as pig pooh are East Yorkshire.

And first property was Grimsby.

You people really are intermarried

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2018 at 11:08 AM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not strictly a TV show but it was on telly last night. "Eight Days A Week" . Just showing how good the early Beatles were.

It really was a superb bit of TV. Pleased I saw your comment on the other thread or I would have forgotten about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inside No.9 was, once again, great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Inside No.9 was, once again, great!

Lots of great writing in there.  Bernie Winters, Grumbleweeds, yew tree.... Was very good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Lots of great writing in there.  Bernie Winters, Grumbleweeds, yew tree.... Was very good.  

The breadth and variety of their talent, too. Comparing episode 2 with episode 1 is like seeing two entirely different shows.

Every single episode, from series 1 to last night's, is currently available on iPlayer. Make the most of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Inside No.9 was, once again, great!

It's hard to believe that it's the same Steve Pemberton who appears in the complete dross of 'Benidorm'

It can only be for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Moose said:

It's hard to believe that it's the same Steve Pemberton who appears in the complete dross of 'Benidorm'

It can only be for the money.

Maybe it is a fun, undemanding (and quite well-paid) way to switch off from the day-job of creating material of the quality of The League of Gentlemen and Inside No.9. It does seem odd, but last night's episode of Inside No.9 does hint at an affection for, and knowledge of broad, dated variety-act comedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The breadth and variety of their talent, too. Comparing episode 2 with episode 1 is like seeing two entirely different shows.

Every single episode, from series 1 to last night's, is currently available on iPlayer. Make the most of it.

I have been. It was almost worth being laid up in bed for days with flu over the Christmas period for; one of the things that kept me going. Stand outs, this time round, "A Quiet Night In" and "Cold Comfort", but there's not really a bad one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When some tedious moaner insists that "there's nothing good on telly these days, it's all rubbish", direct them to Detectorists, The League of Gentlemen, Inside No.9 and Blue Planet 2. All came out in the last three months - all top-notch television.

If he still refuses to recognise the quality of the above, lock him in a room where Len Goodman's Partners in Rhyme endlessly alternates with Mrs Brown's Boys. Not only will that person have deserved it, it will reassuringly back up his opinion. And it'll probably kill them, which neatly removes a pain from your neck.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Maybe it is a fun, undemanding (and quite well-paid) way to switch off from the day-job of creating material of the quality of The League of Gentlemen and Inside No.9. It does seem odd, but last night's episode of Inside No.9 does hint at an affection for, and knowledge of broad, dated variety-act comedy.

and psyochville don't forget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and psyochville don't forget

Ther was a call-back to Psychoville in last night's episode. I didn't spot it, but someone pointed it out to me. And, of course, there were call-backs in the recent League of Gentlemen series to the team's earlier days too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Futtocks said:

Ther was a call-back to Psychoville in last night's episode. I didn't spot it, but someone pointed it out to me. And, of course, there were call-backs in the recent League of Gentlemen series to the team's earlier days too.

tubbs and Edwards flat was number 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

tubbs and Edwards flat was number 9

And they talked about Royston Vasey being merged with Spent. Spent was the original name of the town, when the LoG was a Radio 4 series. Then they renamed it after Roy "Chubby Brown" Vasey, who had a cameo in series 2, as the mayor.

In last night's episode, Reece's character referred to playing Tina Turner with ping-pong balls for eyes.

 

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We watched three episodes tonight about immigrants murdering people, often within days of arriving. It covered the obviously lax immigration system that allowed those  murdering #### free access to the country and the underfunded police who had to deal with them. The latest episodes have someone known best as a priest as the lead policeman. 

Death in Paradise is fairly harmless entertainment these days but isn’t exactly compelling viewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ckn said:

Death in Paradise is fairly harmless entertainment these days but isn’t exactly compelling viewing.

Lost interest in it a while back. Can't quite remember why though.

_20180111_062453.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

I have been. It was almost worth being laid up in bed for days with flu over the Christmas period for; one of the things that kept me going. Stand outs, this time round, "A Quiet Night In" and "Cold Comfort", but there's not really a bad one.

Twelve Days of Christine is my personal favourite.

Edited by gingerjon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Twelve Days of Christine is my personal favourite.

Still mine.  

I never really felt 'A quiet night in' was as good as lots of others seem to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of Inside No.9, I'm currently watching 'A quiet Night in', which is almost entirely silent comedy slapstick. Superb timing, with ever-escalating complications. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2018 at 5:28 PM, Futtocks said:

Ther was a call-back to Psychoville in last night's episode. I didn't spot it, but someone pointed it out to me. And, of course, there were call-backs in the recent League of Gentlemen series to the team's earlier days too.

Also, when they said they'd had to choose the stage name "Cheese & Crackers" for their double act because "Cheese & Onion" was already taken, they weren't making it up! 

Sadly, as you can see, Barry Cheese is "retierd".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2018 at 9:28 PM, Futtocks said:

Also, when they said they'd had to choose the stage name "Cheese & Crackers" for their double act because "Cheese & Onion" was already taken, they weren't making it up! 

Sadly, as you can see, Barry Cheese is "retierd".

In a couple of minuets you could tell he loved to dance talk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent Neil Armstrong documentary on BBC Four last night (now on BBC iPlayer).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pm9l3/neil-armstrong-first-man-on-the-moon

Some great footage from the Apollo 11 mission and the rest of his astonishing career, coupled with recollections from his friends, family and NASA colleagues.

Inspiring stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018



Rugby League Books On Sale Here