Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

The TV Thread

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, ckn said:

Death in Paradise is fairly harmless entertainment these days but isn’t exactly compelling viewing.

It pains me to admit it, but I agree. I left my Thursday meetings early to get home for the start of the first 2, but Ardal isn't quite convincing as a Detective Inspector (I suppose I still see him as Father Dougal).

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

It pains me to admit it, but I agree. I left my Thursday meetings early to get home for the start of the first 2, but Ardal isn't quite convincing as a Detective Inspector (I suppose I still see him as Father Dougal).

its like that actor in doctors - day time soap, mrs tapes it, at the end of every sentence I have to finish it with "mr meldrew"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003859/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but 'The Coronation' documentary shown on the Beeb recently (now on BBC iPlayer via link below) was a fascinating bit of British history, and as several folk have noted on Twitter, quite funny to see the Queen handling St Edward's Crown 'like it was just another hat'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09p1vdh/the-coronation

• Like 2

My claim to fame , I'm exactly the same age as Coronation St , wonder if I'll get an invite to their 60 th birthday shindig ? 

On 15/01/2018 at 1:11 PM, John Drake said:

Excellent Neil Armstrong documentary on BBC Four last night (now on BBC iPlayer).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pm9l3/neil-armstrong-first-man-on-the-moon

Some great footage from the Apollo 11 mission and the rest of his astonishing career, coupled with recollections from his friends, family and NASA colleagues.

Inspiring stuff.

Really enjoyed that. It was superbly put together.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 1:35 PM, Futtocks said:

Inside No.9 was, once again, great!

Yep, I really hope they can maintain the quality for the rest of the series.

On 10/01/2018 at 5:14 PM, graveyard johnny said:

and psyochville don't forget

Mr Jelly (no, not the Roger Hargreaves one) is one of my all time favourite comic creations.

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but 'The Coronation' documentary shown on the Beeb recently (now on BBC iPlayer via link below) was a fascinating bit of British history, and as several folk have noted on Twitter, quite funny to see the Queen handling St Edward's Crown 'like it was just another hat'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09p1vdh/the-coronation

As a self proclaimed republican, I watched this to file under the know thyne enemy category. Unfortunately I quite enjoyed seeing the old biddy playing with the bonnet, knowing it is a once only wear hat.

11 hours ago, Ullman said:

Yep, I really hope they can maintain the quality for the rest of the series.

Nothing to worry about if last night's is anything to go by; yet another brilliantly funny and original episode. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Nothing to worry about if last night's is anything to go by; yet another brilliantly funny and original episode. 

Yup really enjoyed that one too.  Been a strong series so far.

12 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

It's fair to say I wasn't disappointed. The quality of the writing is getting better if anything.

4 minutes ago, Ullman said:

It's fair to say I wasn't disappointed. The quality of the writing is getting better if anything.

They seem very smart and self-aware. If they start writing material they don't think is up to scratch, they'll probably put 'Inside No.9' on hold and do something different, just to refresh the creative juices.

12 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Also an episode that really needs* a re-watch, once you have the shape of it, just to understand the chronology.

*as opposed to the ones that require seeing again for pleasure alone.

The End of the ***ing World, now on Netflix but previously on Channel 4/All4, is comfortably one of the best TV series I've ever seen.

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Also an episode that really needs* a re-watch, once you have the shape of it, just to understand the chronology.

*as opposed to the ones that require seeing again for pleasure alone.

I almost felt like rewinding it and watching it backwards as soon as it finished.

I have to join in the chorus of approval for Inside No. 9. 

Just caught up with the latest two episodes, both different, both excellent.

Incredible creativity and talent on display from Shearsmith & Pemberton.

Agreed, probably the best series so far and that really is saying something. Someone online has re-edited it the "right" way round and it still makes perfect sense which is some going.

"Me mum's just ordered me a biryani" 

bought peaky blinders on box set but early in series 2 have got bored of it, samey samey moodily smoking fags while walking in slow motion, scrapping whiskey glasses across tables , in audible  mumbling accents and the usual bbc historical inaccuracies have me switching off as usual

Any good food programmes recently?

Hairy Bikers, Stein, River Cottage - that sort of jazz.

I no longer subscribe to a TV service so download all material; happy with this arrangement, but with living away as well, i have absolutely no idea what's on.

Ta

10 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Derry Girls... best comedy on normal TV?

(apart from Inside No9)

Without a doubt, last week's episode with the dead/not dead dog (toto) and the weeping statue of Mary will go down as a classic.

Very reminiscent of The Inbetweeners.

18 hours ago, ivans82 said:

McMafia`s got its hooks into me at the moment .

I really wanted to like this, concept looked decent and I think James Norton is a fantastic talent, but it's just a bit...dull. I just can't bring myself to care about any of the characters. First proper let down of the year for me on TV

Anybody still watching Discovery?  i am loving it.