Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bowes

NCL 3 next season

199 posts in this topic

Are these recommendations available yet?

Will be better off asking the RFL

Will be better off asking the RFL

Nonsense. The RFL didn't even want the NCL to set up a division 3, they wanted to run their own comp.

Nonsense. The RFL didn't even want the NCL to set up a division 3, they wanted to run their own comp.

Really because thats contradicting the reason I was given why; RLCN are portrayed on the RFL run NCL website as NCL3 ;)

Really because thats contradicting the reason I was given why; RLCN are portrayed on the RFL run NCL website as NCL3 ;)

That was a badge of convenience. It was never the RFL's plan. The original plan was to replace it with 3 regional divisions (North West, North East and South) but with the lack of interest in summer from Yorkshire clubs the plan I believe changed to north and south. I think the RFL are happy for the NCL to take the northern branch (and happy for it to have Coventry and Nottingham in, though maybe they'd prefer the former in Championship 1, maybe not) but it wasn't the original plan. In practice a Conference South is far from certain and the NCL can let in who they choose

That was a badge of convenience. It was never the RFL's plan. The original plan was to replace it with 3 regional divisions (North West, North East and South) but with the lack of interest in summer from Yorkshire clubs the plan I believe changed to north and south. I think the RFL are happy for the NCL to take the northern branch (and happy for it to have Coventry and Nottingham in, though maybe they'd prefer the former in Championship 1, maybe not) but it wasn't the original plan. In practice a Conference South is far from certain and the NCL can let in who they choose

There's at least one new outfit who have been in discussions with the RFL about entering the proposed "Conference South". Actually more north than midlands or south, but they wish to be in a "Tier 3 development league" rather than the NCL. From what I hear a lot hinges on whether the RFL and NCL can come to some kind of compromise about having "dual registered" players in Tier 3 - e.g academy and fringe players signed to Championship and Championship 1 clubs. It would make some sense and potentially allow for people like the All Golds, Hemel (should they wish) etc to run a second team in Conference South.

The driving force behind this proposed new club is a university, rather than an existing club. It would be run in partnership with some of the coaching team from a Championship/Championship 1 club.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I suspect that's what the RFL (and David Gent in particular) are thinking when it comes to Conference South. I'm sure they'd rather the NCL ran it, though - they've been "in discussions" on and off for about six months about this

I guess if the NCL ran it there'd need to be full criteria eg someone like Hammersmith Hillshoists without juniors couldn't join. Whereas the RFL could relax them just far enough to get 10 teams say.

If the NCL ran it along with a NCL3 then the increase in workload on the committee would require someone to be in fulltime employment.

I also wouldn't be totally surprised if Warrington Wizards asked to play in a Conference South though not sure whether we should go down that route.

There's at least one new outfit who have been in discussions with the RFL about entering the proposed "Conference South". Actually more north than midlands or south, but they wish to be in a "Tier 3 development league" rather than the NCL. From what I hear a lot hinges on whether the RFL and NCL can come to some kind of compromise about having "dual registered" players in Tier 3 - e.g academy and fringe players signed to Championship and Championship 1 clubs. It would make some sense and potentially allow for people like the All Golds, Hemel (should they wish) etc to run a second team in Conference South.

The driving force behind this proposed new club is a university, rather than an existing club. It would be run in partnership with some of the coaching team from a Championship/Championship 1 club.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I suspect that's what the RFL (and David Gent in particular) are thinking when it comes to Conference South. I'm sure they'd rather the NCL ran it, though - they've been "in discussions" on and off for about six months about this

Just wondering here but if the NCL didn't allow fringe Championship players to join would there be a northern league at tier 3 below the NCL that did? Could be the saving grace for Bramley and Kippax but maybe also the likes of Birstall, Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks etc. With Fryston and Warrington Wizards as standalone clubs and direct Championship reserve teams if clubs want them? This university would then slot in there. Maybe it would work, maybe not but an idea.

I wonder if the current transport benefits (cash incetives to move to summer) to clubs, be split between more clubs thus reducing the amount that will be payed to current NCL members? I bet David Gent will lnow this answer and it would be one of the questions I'd be asking the NCL management committee.

Just wondering here but if the NCL didn't allow fringe Championship players to join would there be a northern league at tier 3 below the NCL that did? Could be the saving grace for Bramley and Kippax but maybe also the likes of Birstall, Sheffield Hillsborough Hawks etc. With Fryston and Warrington Wizards as standalone clubs and direct Championship reserve teams if clubs want them? This university would then slot in there. Maybe it would work, maybe not but an idea.

Don think this Uni AND Hillsborough would both put a team in ;-)

Maybe call it Tier 3a :rolleyes:

Looks like the following clubs are in NCL3 next year subject to clubs voting them in:

Kells

Peterlee Pumas

Barrow Island

Pilkington Recs

Wigan St Cuthberts

Hindley

Huddersfield Underbank Rangers

Coventry Bears

Nottingham Outlaws

Presumably they'd be joined by bottom of division 2 unless a 10th team can be found. Having said that Coventry Bears may join Championship 1.

Peterlee's a great one - a club that's been building organically for a good few years now, and I believe will be the first club from the NE region to play at tier 3. Helps fill the gap between York and Gateshead at a higher level, probably not quite enough to be called a local derby for Heworth though :)

Peterlee's a great one - a club that's been building organically for a good few years now, and I believe will be the first club from the NE region to play at tier 3. Helps fill the gap between York and Gateshead at a higher level, probably not quite enough to be called a local derby for Heworth though :)

Gateshead Storm used to play in NL3/RLCN but got axed after the 2009 season for calling off too many games. There was supposed to be a Gateshead Lightning team in 2011 but never worked so Peterlee will fill a niche in the NE and are a well run club.

Looks like the following clubs are in NCL3 next year subject to clubs voting them in:

Kells

Peterlee Pumas

Barrow Island

Pilkington Recs

Wigan St Cuthberts

Hindley

Coventry Bears

Nottingham Outlaws

Presumably they'd be joined by bottom of division 2 unless a 10th team can be found. Having said that Coventry Bears may join Championship 1.

What's the latest on Coventry joining CC1? Is it on the cards?

Kells

Peterlee Pumas

Barrow Island

Pilkington Recs

Wigan St Cuthberts

Hindley

Coventry Bears

Nottingham Outlaws

I'm assuming that South Wales were not asked to compete due to the number of games they called off, but what will be happening to Bristol, St Albans and Bramley? Anyone know?

I'm assuming that South Wales were not asked to compete due to the number of games they called off, but what will be happening to Bristol, St Albans and Bramley? Anyone know?

Probably don't reach NCL standards.

Also no mention of Warry

Bramley fail every NCL criteria imaginable as do South Wales Hornets. Warrington Wizards fail the junior criteria. Kippax only got rejected due to not fulfilling fixtures I believe as they'd been pencilled in.

As for Bristol and St Albans (and Northampton) I suspect it's geographical and they're wanted for the proposed Conference South.

Bowes, You really do open your mouth without engaging your brain dont you.Another sweeping statement that Bramley fail every NCL criteria!! Do you actually know what the criteria is that they fail? There are other teams in the NCL who dont meet criteria and have been given a years grace to come up to the required standard.

Which criteria do Bramley fail on ? And which of the criteria do they meet ?

And how do you hope to know what south wales are going to do ?

How do you know if warrington have plans for junior development ...you do not so lets stop making assumptions and sweeping statements when you have not got a clue whether they are correct or not ,

The criteria are on the NCL website and Bramley and Wizards haven't been accepted.

Bramley fail the criteria of not having reserves, not having juniors and not being able to fulfil first team fixtures. The ground meets criteria as it is rented from Stanningley. 2 clubs in one ground isn't ideal but is possible to overcome as other clubs share albeit with other sports. Wizards have a good open age set up so if they had juniors they'd be in in a second.

I would suggest you are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about and match your name. Also why on Earth would a March to October league admit a club that only exists May to August?

Bowes, You really do open your mouth without engaging your brain dont you. Another sweeping statement that Bramley fail every NCL criteria!!

Dont mind Bowes, he's excitable and surmises a lot.

Bramley fail on 2 counts

Clubs applying for or seeking to retain membership of the National Conference League must:

Have achieved Clubmark status.

Operate with a minimum of two open age teams essentially linked to a youth and junior section - including a team at the highest level and a mini-mod structure.

Dont mind Bowes, he's excitable and surmises a lot.

Bramley fail on 2 counts

Clubs applying for or seeking to retain membership of the National Conference League must:

Have achieved Clubmark status.

Operate with a minimum of two open age teams essentially linked to a youth and junior section - including a team at the highest level and a mini-mod structure.

This latter criterion has been relaxed as it used to read 6 junior teams including one at U18s but presumably many existing clubs fell short. The changing of the wording was well before the switch to summer.

It may be 2 points but hardly the easiest ones to meet. Don't know the ins and outs of Clubmark but reserves and juniors is a major thing to do.