Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marshy1

Warrington it is.

81 posts in this topic

Steve McCormack would say that, wouldn't he! If he wants to keep the job, that is. Merely staying on message with his employers. It would be a major surprise if he were to say anything else in the circumstances. I do wonder how he personally is supposed to get engaged in various things at Warrington, whilst also holding down a full time job as a teacher. We shall see.

The fact is we have seen numerous initiatives over the years that had the hallmarks of personal hobby horses for John / Paul but have ultimately done nothing to grow the strength of Swinton Lions. Bolton le Moors?? East Lancashire Lions?? Tie up with Saints?? None of them even exist any more, do they?

What a pity the resources that were put into these projects were not targetted at strengthening rugby league in M27 and improving Swinton Lions income - if so perhaps there would now be something worthwhile to show.

Of course John is at liberty to put his own private money into such ventures if they take his fancy, subject to RFL rules to some degree, but in doing so he has to accept that they have not helped to grow Swinton Lions one iota.

Question is - will this latest venture be any different? If the true objective is to grow Swinton Lions it is important to differentiate between things that John and Paul might find interesting versus things that truly grow Swinton Lions as a brand. It is a mistake that has already been made, and more than once. Do we want the club run as a business, or a family play thing?

Outward looking stuff is fine, but there is no positive impact for the club itself unless it results in positive changes to the way Swinton Lions is set up, its infrastructure and working practices. That is where the focus needs to be, in order to address the root causes of why the income is so low! I for one believe 400 hardcore fans is not the maximum the club is capable of attracting, if Agecroft ever does get delivered and certain things were done better that number could be as much as 3 or 4 times higher in relatively short shrift. Sort those things out and it would be true progress and we wouldn't be saying "we cannot compete in the Championship without 10 players from another club".

Whether what you say is right or wrong Phil and in this case I feel you've gone too far in criticising the Kidds, the fact remains that John has paid for the two best seasons at Swinton for a long time 2011 and 2012. I bet sometimes he must read what you write and wonder why he bothers.

This latest move is something I believe we really do need at this present time.

Like I said before its not just our team doing this it'll be every team and so the discussion should be a sport wide debate and not another opportunity to knock down the club we all (apparently) love.

You know how sometimes from a distance things look different? Like the joke "from 35,000 feet my uncle looks like an ant"?

So a question for you all from 3,500 miles away.

Why did Warrington enter into an agreement with the Lions? We could assume they could have their pick of partners, right?

Just asking!

You know how sometimes from a distance things look different? Like the joke "from 35,000 feet my uncle looks like an ant"?

Why did Warrington enter into an agreement with the Lions? We could assume they could have their pick of partners, right?

Just asking!

Must admit it did surprise me, i thought it was going to be saints so im thinking warrington didnt have a choice and it was the rl who decided

Must admit it did surprise me, i thought it was going to be saints so im thinking warrington didnt have a choice and it was the rl who decided

There's the Richard Marshall connection too

I would imagine that Wire chose us for a couple of reasons. firstly we have played then pre-season for the past few years so there must be some form of relationship between the two clubs and secondly we are not going to upset their supporters unlike a match up with Leigh or a Yorkshire club.

Now that Widnes are in SL us and Leigh were really their only viable propositions to wire.

This is the point where we see how serious the club take the relationship. i believe we should offer entrance to our home games to all wire fans for a few quid. lets see if we can push our gates up.

Just asking!

Surely the reasons are pretty obvious?

Within a convenient commute, Warrington's only options at Championship level are Leigh and Swinton.

Leigh are not so keen on the concept. The main focus for Centurions management is on building a case for the next round of Super League Licenses, via the beLEIGHve campaign, the criteria for which will not be compatible with having to rely on a large contingent of players from another club to deliver success at Championship level.

Admittedly they have made a very minor announcement that for the purpose of compliance and to keep the option of dual registered players available to them in 2013 a link will be made between them and Wigan, but certainly haven't "bigged it up" - most people missed it.

Leigh also has a stronger squad of experienced players already signed up for 2013, which from a Warrington perspective probably means less opportunities for their young players.

In essence, Leigh don't see a partnership agreement as a central part of where they want to go as a club.

Warrington will be focussed on development of their young players and its far more likely they can control that by engaging with Swinton Lions.

Mark R is right that Richard Marshall gives a Swinton Lions - Warrington link and is likely to be a central character in how it all works.

This is the point where we see how serious the club take the relationship. i believe we should offer entrance to our home games to all wire fans for a few quid. lets see if we can push our gates up.

So we should not only look towards Warrington for a good proportion of players, but also for supporters?

This would be an easier suggestion to stomach if something was being done to promote and market the club to people in its home community, but in the complete absence of that Swinton Lions should not be prioritising the people of Warrington!

Thin end of the wedge.

If you take that argument too far you end up with - "We may as well play at the Halliwell Jones" and then certain death.

Whether what you say is right or wrong Phil and in this case I feel you've gone too far in criticising the Kidds, the fact remains that John has paid for the two best seasons at Swinton for a long time 2011 and 2012. I bet sometimes he must read what you write and wonder why he bothers.

This latest move is something I believe we really do need at this present time.

Like I said before its not just our team doing this it'll be every team and so the discussion should be a sport wide debate and not another opportunity to knock down the club we all (apparently) love.

The moment people truly believe the future viability of Swinton Lions is totally dependent on John Kidd's personal financial backing then its right we all take a step back and question, "What's the point?".

I'd imagine that the four biggest single sources of income for the club are:

a. The RFL

b. Fans (and away fans) through the turnstiles/tickets

c. The club lottery

d. The Kidds

What order they are in is anyone's guess. Considering the fans account for two of those, surely they also have also "paid for the two best seasons at Swinton for a long time".

The moment people truly believe the future viability of Swinton Lions is totally dependent on John Kidd's personal financial backing then its right we all take a step back and question, "What's the point?".

the "point" is no matter how much we all agree or disagree with each other we all want the best for the swinton lions, and i know i bang on about it but until we get a ground in m27 (agecroft in the wrong place too far from the center of town imo) the club will struggle to progress/stand still. And as for the tie up with warrington imo just another nail in the coffin for the lower leagues and any hope of promotion to sl.

One thing I have been wondering, who pays the players wages if on dual role with a club?

There's the Richard Marshall connection too

Two questions:

Did the Saints partner with anyone?

Who is Richard Marshall?

And thinking back, at the 5 Cups night, other than Lions, was Adrian Morley the only other player of note present? Coincidence?

Two questions:

Who is Richard Marshall?

And thinking back, at the 5 Cups night, other than Lions, was Adrian Morley the only other player of note present? Coincidence?

Richard Marshall played for us in 2006 and was a prop/ back rower in super league with Huddersfield Halifax and London.

Hes now assistant coach and u20s coach at Warrington and can often be seen at our games.

As for Morley and saints Ive no idea Im afraid.

One thing I have been wondering, who pays the players wages if on dual role with a club?

Me and you mate. We can have a whip round at half time.

Two questions:

Who is Richard Marshall?

Morley is very good friends with watto, dont think theres anything in it he goes to a few do's with watto

ha ha happy days Mark.

I was only wondering because if we are taking there young players because they wont get much game time at warrington and doing then a favour by giving them this then the Wolves should stump half of there wages or all of them, if this was the case it free's our salary funding to bring in some established players from our league.

I only hope we are actually getting something out of this partnership and we have just rolled over and had our pants pulled down and give in to there every demand.

I think warrington pay their contract and swinton pay match fees and personal terms or thats how it was last season

I think warrington pay their contract and swinton pay match fees and personal terms or thats how it was last season

Can you email jonty with the details of where to leave his money.

Can you email jonty with the details of where to leave his money.

:lol: :lol:

You have to agree though that the supporters are a significant - very significant - source of income at the club, yet have little say in governance and decision making.

Course I do. I pay towards the trust and go every week as do many less vocal fans who do much much more for free.

I'm just trying to be fair.

I think it is easy to criticise over and over again and it gets boring

Course I do. I pay towards the trust and go every week as do many less vocal fans who do much much more for free.

I'm just trying to be fair.

I think it is easy to criticise over and over again and it gets boring

Fair enough.

Lets face it, we are not going to bring any more fans back until we get our ground, and we won't do that till we gain success on the field. We are not in a position to opt out of this arrangement yet and we all know it. To do so is to possibly face relegation and our ultimate death. No coach can produce a team from nothing and SM is no exception.

Short term, long term, any term, I will be watching the Lions whist they still pull on a shirt. Get onboard and support the side whoever they are!!!