Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jt

Two new signings

137 posts in this topic

mint

I'm not revealing my sources!

Apparently no annoucement till tomorrow now someone posted on facebook that that is from lee crooks

Was Currier unlucky? In the first instance, yes. Then everybody is forgetting that he put on two stones, fair enough when your not fit, but if you recall he was good to go, played a few games start of 94/95 only to fall over playing pool, whilst alledgedly bladdered, re igniting the intial injury, and we had to sign firstly Warren Wilson and then Daz Hughes, when Wilson had to go.

come on then, lets be having this press release

Talking to one of my pupils today, her Brother 19/20 year old, back row forward (physique similar to Jon Grayshon),who is one of my ex pupils could be signing. He has previous family links with the club.

Was Currier unlucky? In the first instance, yes. Then everybody is forgetting that he put on two stones, fair enough when your not fit, but if you recall he was good to go, played a few games start of 94/95 only to fall over playing pool, whilst alledgedly bladdered, re igniting the intial injury, and we had to sign firstly Warren Wilson and then Daz Hughes, when Wilson had to go.

Didn't we sign Matt Calland as a replacement for Currier? I seem to remember him going to Bradford for about £80K just after SL was started up.

Didn't we sign Matt Calland as a replacement for Currier? I seem to remember him going to Bradford for about £80K just after SL was started up.

Now there was a good centre..... the best by a country mile. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I remember rightly Steve we signed Currier for the 93/94 season, he got crocked pre season, so Francis Maloney played in the Right Centre position for most of that season, Then as a temporary measure Iva Ropati was re-signed to play in the centres late 93/94 season, I remember him scoring at Headingley March 94. I also think Currier became available just prior to the 94/95 season, but Maloney left. So Rovers had Currier and Ropati available and I believe Calland was also signed in that close season as cover for these.

Ropati played the first few games of the 94/95 season then went for some reason, Currier got crocked again and we were left with Calland and a sequence of different short term personel to cover the centre. Wilson, Brett Rodger and Daz Hughes. The problem was compounded because Pearson did his knee early in that season so we had a lad called Nixon an aussie at stand off. Nixon didn't last the season and Brett Rodger subsequently played at stand off in the latter stages. Callard scored at Elland Road to put us briefly in the lead in the CC semi. If I remember rightly Tuuta also played stand off on certain occasions that fateful season and Calland played in the back row in the last couple of league games, before as you quite rightly said he went to Bradford as Fox, Newlove and Clark had done in previous years.

Andrew, if thats from memory, you've got one heck of a memory

Andrew, if thats from memory, you've got one heck of a memory

Swear on my life, Dave. It's a season and a personal time that still haunts me, and is still engrained on my memory.

If I remember rightly Steve we signed Currier for the 93/94 season, he got crocked pre season, so Francis Maloney played in the Right Centre position for most of that season, Then as a temporary measure Iva Ropati was re-signed to play in the centres late 93/94 season, I remember him scoring at Headingley March 94. I also think Currier became available just prior to the 94/95 season, but Maloney left. So Rovers had Currier and Ropati available and I believe Calland was also signed in that close season as cover for these.

Ropati played the first few games of the 94/95 season then went for some reason, Currier got crocked again and we were left with Calland and a sequence of different short term personel to cover the centre. Wilson, Brett Rodger and Daz Hughes. The problem was compounded because Pearson did his knee early in that season so we had a lad called Nixon an aussie at stand off. Nixon didn't last the season and Brett Rodger subsequently played at stand off in the latter stages. Callard scored at Elland Road to put us briefly in the lead in the CC semi. If I remember rightly Tuuta also played stand off on certain occasions that fateful season and Calland played in the back row in the last couple of league games, before as you quite rightly said he went to Bradford as Fox, Newlove and Clark had done in previous years.

Mark Nixon is a kiwi

I don't think Francis Malloney played in the centre but always at stand off. From what I recall the 93/94 season Franny had a storming start and was outstanding when we beat Wigan at home. We also had Martin Pearson and because of Frany's form he played full back. Franny then got tapped up and handed in a transfer request which resulted in him being dropped and Pee wee was then reverted back to his prefered position of stand off. Pee wees first game back at 6 was Wakefield away and he had an absoloute stormer. Franny was then sold onto Warrington at the end of the season and we bought Mark Aston.

The 94/95 seaon pee wee had a season endining cruciate ligament injury versus Salford away and we brough Mark Nixon in to replace him. However Nixon was not very creative so we moved him into the centre and played Tuuta at 6. I remeber the Calland try at Elland road very cleary because for 1 second I though I would be seeing my beloved Featherstone Rovers at Wembley, however Jim Fallon ripped us to bits down the right side and a week later we had no club because we were being forced to merge with Cas & Wakey. From being on top of the world to having no club devestated me, however I am proud to say that we thought the merger resulting in the Rovers being a very special part of my life and always will be.

The Cats chief executive also said he “doesn’t know anything” about rumours linking hooker Andy Ellis to Featherstone Rovers but admits the club’s high number of hookers could see some move elsewhere in search of regular first-team action.

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/sport/other-sport/wakefield-wildcats-hit-out-at-hull-fc-over-illegal-paul-johnson-approach-1-4945765

As I say It was from memory. Yeah, thanks Nixon was a kiwi it was Daunt who was the Aussie. Carl Gibson played Full back in the 93/94 and 94/95 Season. I remember this cos circa Nov 93 we played Fax at home a Fax fan said how can someone of Gibson's age have the pace to be a full back, so I gently asked him how old the current 100 metres olympic champion was (Christie being 2 years older than Gibson). Pearson played stand off and Maloney played a mixture of Stand off and centre. I'm sure Tuuta also occasionally filled in at stand off.

Didnt Carl Gibson come in when Currier got injured?

Currier, Gibson and Calland were all signed within 1 month of one another but as you say he may have been brought in after Currier's close season injury.

I don't think Francis Malloney played in the centre but always at stand off. From what I recall the 93/94 season Franny had a storming start and was outstanding when we beat Wigan at home. We also had Martin Pearson and because of Frany's form he played full back. Franny then got tapped up and handed in a transfer request which resulted in him being dropped and Pee wee was then reverted back to his prefered position of stand off. Pee wees first game back at 6 was Wakefield away and he had an absoloute stormer. Franny was then sold onto Warrington at the end of the season and we bought Mark Aston.

The 94/95 seaon pee wee had a season endining cruciate ligament injury versus Salford away and we brough Mark Nixon in to replace him. However Nixon was not very creative so we moved him into the centre and played Tuuta at 6. I remeber the Calland try at Elland road very cleary because for 1 second I though I would be seeing my beloved Featherstone Rovers at Wembley, however Jim Fallon ripped us to bits down the right side and a week later we had no club because we were being forced to merge with Cas & Wakey. From being on top of the world to having no club devestated me, however I am proud to say that we thought the merger resulting in the Rovers being a very special part of my life and always will be.

Good knowledge, far better than my memory, although I'm sure Pearson did his ligaments v Bradford at home in the night game. The Salford game was roughly a week before this.

Good knowledge, far better than my memory, although I'm sure Pearson did his ligaments v Bradford at home in the night game. The Salford game was roughly a week before this.

Definitely at Salford. He made a break down the right wing and instead of using the inside support went for glory himself; got tackled........ and as they say the rest is history.

Definitely at Salford. He made a break down the right wing and instead of using the inside support went for glory himself; got tackled........ and as they say the rest is history.

The funny thing is I'm sure he played v Bradford the week after. There is a video of it somewhere and he limps off during the game, is it possible they patched him up and he finally did them good an proper the week later? It's the game that was Newlove's first game back at POR, I remember him getting some treatment. MLP could you help please, did he play in the Bradford game and was it the week after the Salford game? As I say, I thought my recollections were better than they actually are so I may be totally off the mark.