Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheddings69

Saints - Oldham agreement

84 posts in this topic

Maybe you should have checked the post above yours.

I did. Re-read the first line "Saints look set to....... I have confirmed it. Specsavers beckons LOL

Good luck to Rochdale. just hope they can maintain some independance seeing they are now coached by Ian Talbot Saints reserve coach.

For us I suspect we'll end up with somone like Widnes. I know we have stopped negotiations with one or two clubs who wanted to dictate terms. So hopefully our own young lads will get a fair crack. I've heard Naylor is his own man which is exactly what we need.

we should go it alone.......it shows ambition

if we sign up with anyone i'll never follow the club again....and i don't think im the only one

we should go it alone.......it shows ambition

if we sign up with anyone i'll never follow the club again....and i don't think im the only one

Spud no worries on that score pal,weve had our own reserves for 3 years lol

My view is that if we go with a s/league club then we become a feeder and therefore there is no ambition to better ourselves apart from, maybe, CH1. Am more than happy if we go our own way and sign our own players, who will play for the shirt and fight it out. Go for it Mr Naylor!

CH don't become a feeder club!

Tony Mac

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, just don't stop believing

Have to agree with EVERYONE else on here ...........as there only seems a few left now ...........if Oldham R.L.F.C. become a feeder club ...........thats it ..........finished ....................

But how will you feel if you get left in the lurch and fall behind clubs who have linked up with SL clubs. I admire your passion and pride in your club but i worry that a once great club like Oldham could suffer even more from this foolish pride. How would being able to tap into improved training facilities, a larger player base, improved coaching and technical knowledge be a negative?

This type of agreement has been in existance for years, however informally. Leigh in the past have benefitted from the use of Warrington players, and SW Scorpions have likewise done the same with the inclusion of several Wigan players last year.

You know I've heard this talk many times before and you all end up falling back in line, if indeed any of you actually drop out of the line.

A good many years ago now I remember you lot coming over to Spotland on cold wet night for a postponed Trains Cup game I think. You sprinted out to a good lead then Hornets gave to mother and father of a thrashing and it was all over your forum that very night. Club's dead, never again, I'm staying away, etc,etc. Then it came out that the club was in trouble with massive debt and before you could shout 'feeding' you were all back on board fighting to keep the club alive.

It's happened since then a good few times and it'll happen a good few times in the future as well. As for the guy who says he'd rather watch kick and clap, well matey you're welcome. It may be the case that at times our game is 5 up the shirt then a kick but at least we get up and down the field, union can have multiple phases and never move from a spot about ten yards sguare!! However, you're welcome to your opinion!

You all want to stay on your own and do it your way, how come this way hasn't worked for the last 10years and what makes you think it'll change next season or the one after that. You've even had a multy millionaire on board and ended up slagging him off when he allegedly kept you going for years with his money.

Breathe in and smell what you're shovelling.

Pugwash.

You know I've heard this talk many times before and you all end up falling back in line, if indeed any of you actually drop out of the line.

A good many years ago now I remember you lot coming over to Spotland on cold wet night for a postponed Trains Cup game I think. You sprinted out to a good lead then Hornets gave to mother and father of a thrashing and it was all over your forum that very night. Club's dead, never again, I'm staying away, etc,etc. Then it came out that the club was in trouble with massive debt and before you could shout 'feeding' you were all back on board fighting to keep the club alive.

It's happened since then a good few times and it'll happen a good few times in the future as well. As for the guy who says he'd rather watch kick and clap, well matey you're welcome. It may be the case that at times our game is 5 up the shirt then a kick but at least we get up and down the field, union can have multiple phases and never move from a spot about ten yards sguare!! However, you're welcome to your opinion!

You all want to stay on your own and do it your way, how come this way hasn't worked for the last 10years and what makes you think it'll change next season or the one after that. You've even had a multy millionaire on board and ended up slagging him off when he allegedly kept you going for years with his money.

Breathe in and smell what you're shovelling

Pugwash.

Hi Pugwash

Thre's not much to argue about with your post. Having said that, who's to say that this is a one size fits all. I know that there have been SL clubs "loaning" players CH & CH1 clubs in the past but I feel that this latest move is going down the route of the Aussies. I don't know whether being part of the feeder clubs or standing alone is the best way I just have a warmer feeling about standing alone. One thing I do know is that the RFL and SL have never done anything before with the lower tier clubs' best interests at heart.

Tony Mac

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, just don't stop believing

A break away won't last 2 minutes. No funding, no big sponsors, no chance.

Feeder helps us now and doesn't have to last forever.

As for finding union more exciting... Please!

(null)

If we become a feeder club, we might as well start supporting and wearing the colours of the club we are feeding, How can you get behind a team that doesn't represent the club and fans it's playing for.

Rugby Union is showing League up lock, stock and Barrell, on and off the field. The RFL should look to the RU on how to administrate the game from grass roots upwards, with clear pathways and structures, instead of changing it because they have ran out of money, whilst paying themselves 200k upwards for the privilege.

Whilst RL may seem the game boring, I am sure RU people say the same about RL. But look at the crowds on SKY, no excuses from their supporters the game is televised, or its not included in the season ticket.

RU is going forward, RL is in reverse. RU could fill Twickenham every week with league games RL can't even fill Warrington.RU is national RL is still a regional game.The main difference though is that RU supports the game from top to bottom where RL clearly has a split between SL and everyone else.

rugby union clubs are losing money at a far greater rate than rugby league clubs are.......

and if union could sell out twickenham every week quins would play there....but they don't the play at a 15,000 capacity stadium across the road!

RU clubs are losing money at an alarming rate compared to league? Are they, would you like to place a bet on that?

How many teams in RU are as desperate as Bradford are, and more or less Salford?

League used to have the edge over its other code at club level pre professional of RU, now they stamp all over RL in terms of competition, structure and cash.

Union clubs are in financial trouble at all levels. There is no straight promotion to the premiership (london welsh got in on appeal). RL beats RU on sky viewing. Clubs in various leagues are arguing with the RFU. The europeon comp is under threat of English clubs walking out.

Yes all is wonderful in RU world. If you like no tries, collapsed scrums, poor handling and a penaltython go watch union.

And union clubs already have feeder teams with dual registered players. So I'm sure you will all now stop watching union too...

It is true Bedford Roughyed that a breakaway with clubs outside have at the PRESENT TIME no funding and no sponsors but that could change once they have broken away.

Why should an investor put money into a feeder club. They might as well put in the SL club in the first place.

Thev RFL will not want this as players moving to Super League from the breakaway clubs may be subject to a tansfer fee or compensation.

But lets cast our minds back to the early days of Super Leage and look what was on the agenda at that time.

Clubs were being asked to merge.

What is the feeder system but a merger of clubs by the back door with the championship clubs becoming not much different than a Super Leage club reserve side.

What the clubs outside Super League require is a system that caters for ambition.

Why not have promotion and relegation between leagues but on the proviso that the a club not meeting the criteria cannot go up.

For example If in the Championship the Top two clubs were Batley and Keighley who did not meet the criteria but the third clug either Halifax or Leigh did then why not promote that third club.

The incentive for clubs is first to meet the criteria and second to finish in a position that you would get promotion.

Without some sort of incentive to take a club to the top why should any potential investor want to get involved.

Harry I would tailor your solution to say if the top club does not meet the criteria. Do not promote them, but take 50% off the bottom SL clubs money for the next season, and contribute it towards the failings of the top championship clubs for meeting the criteria. This way clubs who did not meet the criteria would eventually close the gap regarding facilities etc.

RU clubs are losing money at an alarming rate compared to league? Are they, would you like to place a bet on that?

How many teams in RU are as desperate as Bradford are, and more or less Salford?

League used to have the edge over its other code at club level pre professional of RU, now they stamp all over RL in terms of competition, structure and cash.

yes i would like to bet on that!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/6134946/Rugby-clubs-battle-debt-burden.html#

Rugby clubs battle debt burden

As the new Guinness Premiership campaign gets underway on Friday night, a report into the financial performance of the 12 clubs has revealed that “almost all” continue to suffer operating losses, with a combined loss of over £10 million reported in the 2007/08 season.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/exclusive_union_in_crisis_as_leeds_sink_2m_into_the_red_1_3327817

The club’s plight is symptomatic of a financial crisis engulfing the English game.A report revealed that the combined losses for 10 of the 12 Premiership clubs this season was £19m. Leicester and Northampton are believed to be operating in the black.

“It’s not getting any easier throughout the Premiership, the whole game is going through lean times,” said Hetherington.

“After 15 years the professional game would appear now to be at an all-time low and for the Premiership as a whole there doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. The whole system depends on the personal benevolence of a very small number of people.”

even the RFU announced a £4million loss!!

so for winning my bet.........i'd like you to change your name to "im a union troll"........ta

The Telegraph article is dated in 2009! Based on 2007/08 Season. 5 years is a big difference to where we are now. For example, 5 years ago the structure from grassroots upwards was a complete different animal to the balls up it is today.

And for the last article in 2011, a year old. The opening line of "Gary Hetherington..." stopped me dead in my tracks, as he has only one vision.....himself.

And as a Union troll....I doubt that pal. Supported league for nearly thirty years as a fan, player and coach, and continue to do so. Having seen both sides of the fence regards grassroots development as a parent/coach, RU is going to pick up from RL's major mistakes, to which they are making many. RL is going downhill, the Bradford fiasco must start ringing alarm bells for starters. For example, after December, Oldham will not have anyone employed by the RFL to introduce RL in schools/clubs, or running the Service Area/Talent Centres due to cost cutting? Oldham are not on there own in this, other areas are being affected too. Can you see the RFU sitting back and not exploiting this? I can't.

SL being allowed to drop their teams below the firsts to set up links with Championship Clubs is another farce, and one that will strip clubs of their identities, and values - something the RFL have been brewing up for years - and yes, I have been to meetings where this has been a hot topic of debate, yet the RFL had never the balls to admit it, and refused to attend, until the final meeting of the SA in Oldham, which incidentally help kill the SA off.

i used the 09 article to show how the total debt for a season had rose from £10million in 08...to £19million last year when the last full financial statement..

by comparison super league clubs lost around £8million this past season...........

so my statement that rugby union clubs are losing money at a far greater rate than rugby league clubs stands true....

and its ok....you can show your ###### on the town hall steps if you like? lol

when u own your own stadium...and sell it out,80k plus 7 or 8 times a year...as well as hosting a concert or 2 every year....thats not surprising tbh

We can't sellout the CC Final, Semis or Play Off Semis let alone fill a ground to 80k :)

Interesting though, that some of the clubs limitations is stadium capacities not being big enough. What SL clubs have that problem?