Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheddings69

Saints - Oldham agreement

84 posts in this topic

this would be the end of orlfc as we know it and yes he is asking for investers but he must know that nobody would invest in a feeder club

With the amount of young players being released by SL clubs, with the demise of their academies. There should be no need for any CH, CH1 club to act as a feeder club. There should be rich pickings available to all. It could even benefit towns like Oldham that produces its fair share of Professional players, as not as many of the towns elite will be snapped up by SL clubs now.

Rumours up here in haven are were getting saints u23,s and rochdale are getting the u20,s as i say just a rumour mind

There is only one answer.

Break all ties with the Super League apart from the challenge cup which is not theirs.

Run the Championship as a two division set up with promotion and relegation.

Bring back the county cups.

Link up the championship with the Amateur clubs and make SL pay a transfer fee for any players from the championship or Amateur clubs.

Have only two overseas players per club who must be able to assist with the coaching in the Amateur game and schools.

Play from October to May with a break in January.

SUMMER RUGBY ( A little bit of sun and a lot of rain)

Over 100 years of History to become feeder fodder for Super League.

NO NO NO

Do you rememeber the days of one division where you actually had an outside chance of beating a top team, the game survived part time with transfer fees. Now robotic,predictable,closed shop nonsense

Yep, Roughyed49. Those days (apart from Fev this season beating a poor Cas outfit), are well and truly gone, and is one of the reasons the Challenge Cup has lost it's appeal.

IMHO SL has not improved our sport at all, its ruined it.

Before SL, Rugby League had a much better club competition than RU, and were far superior in attendances, yet RU had the better International stage. Now RU not only beats us, it absolutely makes our game a laughing stock. Since the break up of the GB team into home nations, I could see the reasons behind it, but again, in true RL style, it's bent. Listening to an interview last week on the radio, it was stated that if a red hot player was eligible to play for either Ireland/Scotland/Wales, the RL would do anything for that player to play for England - how can that strengthen the International game? It's a joke.

Rugby League is going from the sublime to the ridiculous in the way it is run. CH as stated that he is talking to a number of clubs regarding this feeder idea.That is not surprising given the number of good young players that are signed from this area.The SL clubs see the amateur game in the Oldham area as a hotbed of talent.

As a scout from a SL club was heard to say. "I like Oldham, I can have as many as I want from here"

lets cut all ties with superleague and ditch sky and lets see how long superleague lasts as i think its getting tired and more money going into rugby union bigger game (more widespread)

I've thought for a long time that we should distance ourselves from SL and form a one division set up like it used to be in days gone by. You could, possibly, create two divisions with P & R, the second of which could be new teams in other parts of the country who want to enter the league. We should get rid of the NR Cup and return to winter rugby, far too many distractions in summer, and bring back the county cups. I would also be in favour of mounting a legal challenge, pardon the pun, to bring the Challenge Cup into our ownership and prevent SL clubs from competing in the competition. You are right that the competition has been devalued. I vividly recall Oldham in the late 1950s, top of the league, best team in the land, but got beat by a lowly Bramley side at home when they were hot favourites not only to win the game but win the cup. That can never happen now the gap is too big.

I am totally against feeder clubs no matter what CH says about not losing our identity. You cannot avoid losing your identity, but on the other hand while other clubs go down this road we are always going to be second fiddle to those clubs who have access to SL hopefuls, cast offs etc or who farm out experienced players recovering from injuries for a week or two. Remember the Barry McDermott fiasco when he was playing for Batley was it? to get match fit again before going back into the Leeds team?

Not sure if that would be the death knell for SL clubs but I do agree that the game is tired and, though lots will disagree with me, boring. RU is far bigger, is nationwide and will continue to attract the big money from SKY and the BBC. I can however foresee a time when SKY will withdraw the funding and I cannot see many SL clubs surviving that. That said any of them that then want a return to our league would have to do so by entering at the very bottom. I'm not altogether certain that I would want them however, after all they haven't done us any favours have they?

Good post Scrum half.

If SL did not get sky money how many would be able to keep going on a small income like the championship clubs.

The strenght of Rugby league is not Super League but the Amateur game and the Part Time Professional clubs.

Take Super league away and Rugby League will continue.

Take the championship away and the super league will struggle.

If you dont keep your amateurs strong the game collapses.

All sports are like iceberg's The pinnacle of the sport is above the water whilst its strength that holds it up is below the water.

I've thought for a long time that we should distance ourselves from SL and form a one division set up like it used to be in days gone by. You could, possibly, create two divisions with P & R, the second of which could be new teams in other parts of the country who want to enter the league. We should get rid of the NR Cup and return to winter rugby, far too many distractions in summer, and bring back the county cups. I would also be in favour of mounting a legal challenge, pardon the pun, to bring the Challenge Cup into our ownership and prevent SL clubs from competing in the competition. You are right that the competition has been devalued. I vividly recall Oldham in the late 1950s, top of the league, best team in the land, but got beat by a lowly Bramley side at home when they were hot favourites not only to win the game but win the cup. That can never happen now the gap is too big.

I am totally against feeder clubs no matter what CH says about not losing our identity. You cannot avoid losing your identity, but on the other hand while other clubs go down this road we are always going to be second fiddle to those clubs who have access to SL hopefuls, cast offs etc or who farm out experienced players recovering from injuries for a week or two. Remember the Barry McDermott fiasco when he was playing for Batley was it? to get match fit again before going back into the Leeds team?

Not sure if that would be the death knell for SL clubs but I do agree that the game is tired and, though lots will disagree with me, boring. RU is far bigger, is nationwide and will continue to attract the big money from SKY and the BBC. I can however foresee a time when SKY will withdraw the funding and I cannot see many SL clubs surviving that. That said any of them that then want a return to our league would have to do so by entering at the very bottom. I'm not altogether certain that I would want them however, after all they haven't done us any favours have they?

Fully agree with you scrum half. Money has, is, will drive sl. Unfortunately (for them) there isn't enough of it about to satisfy their ambitions. Sooner or later they'll need a reality check - we've already had paris, Wales, Bulls and there's plenty more in the wings that are struggling just waiting to follow. We get sod all from them so what have we to lose?

I support Fev and the past 3 years have been brilliant for us, I just hope we don't take the kings shilling and sell out. Success is very transient. Over the years I've seen some bad seasons so you learn to enjoy anything good that comes along and while it lasts.

It's time some of the sl clubs took a backward step and considered the game as a whole. Breaking away from sl and going it alone may be just what they need.

Never thought I would say this, but for me, RU is often a more enjoyable game to watch these days. Just find the SL, 5/6 plays and then a kick and chase is a bit predictable. Let's bring back ripping the ball out in the tackle, proper contested scrums, there would be more turnovers, and a bit more unpredictability and spontaniety to the game

if we become a feeder club thats us done as a club...............but at least CH will still be getting paid!

Never thought I would say this, but for me, RU is often a more enjoyable game to watch these days. Just find the SL, 5/6 plays and then a kick and chase is a bit predictable. Let's bring back ripping the ball out in the tackle, proper contested scrums, there would be more turnovers, and a bit more unpredictability and spontaniety to the game

I bet when you are watchin a rah rah game you fall asleep at every scrum as they take that blooody long at em ........around 5 mins per scrum the last match i saw ....I watch because of the prospect of seeing some RUGBY ........now and again for a min or two

rochdale & st helens announce "partnership"

SAINTS look set to go into partnership with Rochdale Hornets and forge closer ties with Whitehaven after the RFL confirmed the scrapping of the under 20s competition.

In a major shake-up of the tiers below Super League, both the under 20s and under 18s competitions have been axed and replaced by a single under 19s competition.

Those players who fall between the 19s and the Super League will have the opportunity for first team rugby by way of the link up with clubs from the Championship.

AC2778622_v2.gif

As a result of strong encouragement from the RFL some partnerships have already been confirmed between Warrington and Swinton, Bradford and Dewsbury and Leeds and Hunslet. Although the situation is still described as “a work in progress”, the Star understands that Saints will join up with Rochdale, under the likely watch of Matt Calland and academy coach Ian Talbot in the Championship One.

Clubs are also allowed to buddy up with a second Championship team, but they must be away from the M62 corridor. Again, the Star understands that Whitehaven have been targeted as the club to fit the bill to accommodate Saints’ older non-first team players in the more intense Championship competition.

Seems Rochdale have got a good set up with the saints. Mike Rush seems to be happy with the Hornets set up.

Who should we team up with now.

Totally agree spud. There are plenty of talented youngsters available with the disbanding of the u20's competition. We should be looking to bolster our squad with some of these as well as continuing to run our own reserves.