Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheddings69

Saints - Oldham agreement

84 posts in this topic

we can't sell out the challenge cup final cos we only have 72,000 of the 90,000 tickets to sell.....the rest are club wembley ticket holders..we have nothing to do with that....the last challenge cup final drew 79,180.....the union final drew 81,000 @ twickenham....its not worth arguing over the difference lol

and which union club stadium is'nt big enough?? the size of the stadiums in the aviva premiership are'nt a million miles away from ours in super league...2 or 3 25k stadia....a few 14k-19k..then 10k - 14k the rest....and the average attendances between the aviva premiership & super league differs by only 1500-2000....theres hardly clear water between the 2.........apart from union loses far more money than we do lol

Harry I would tailor your solution to say if the top club does not meet the criteria. Do not promote them, but take 50% off the bottom SL clubs money for the next season, and contribute it towards the failings of the top championship clubs for meeting the criteria. This way clubs who did not meet the criteria would eventually close the gap regarding facilities etc.

Interesting point you make there.

and which union club stadium is'nt big enough?? the size of the stadiums in the aviva premiership are'nt a million miles away from ours in super league...2 or 3 25k stadia....a few 14k-19k..then 10k - 14k the rest....and the average attendances between the aviva premiership & super league differs by only 1500-2000....theres hardly clear water between the 2.........apart from union loses far more money than we do lol

Read your 2008 article......................

I've thought for a long time that we should distance ourselves from SL and form a one division set up like it used to be in days gone by. You could, possibly, create two divisions with P & R, the second of which could be new teams in other parts of the country who want to enter the league. We should get rid of the NR Cup and return to winter rugby, far too many distractions in summer, and bring back the county cups. I would also be in favour of mounting a legal challenge, pardon the pun, to bring the Challenge Cup into our ownership and prevent SL clubs from competing in the competition. You are right that the competition has been devalued. I vividly recall Oldham in the late 1950s, top of the league, best team in the land, but got beat by a lowly Bramley side at home when they were hot favourites not only to win the game but win the cup. That can never happen now the gap is too big.

I am totally against feeder clubs no matter what CH says about not losing our identity. You cannot avoid losing your identity, but on the other hand while other clubs go down this road we are always going to be second fiddle to those clubs who have access to SL hopefuls, cast offs etc or who farm out experienced players recovering from injuries for a week or two. Remember the Barry McDermott fiasco when he was playing for Batley was it? to get match fit again before going back into the Leeds team?

Not sure if that would be the death knell for SL clubs but I do agree that the game is tired and, though lots will disagree with me, boring. RU is far bigger, is nationwide and will continue to attract the big money from SKY and the BBC. I can however foresee a time when SKY will withdraw the funding and I cannot see many SL clubs surviving that. That said any of them that then want a return to our league would have to do so by entering at the very bottom. I'm not altogether certain that I would want them however, after all they haven't done us any favours have they?

Not being picky about your post in general but the great Oldham side were not beaten by Bramley.

They won 8-2 against them in the 3rd round of the Cup (Nestor 2 tries Ganley 1 goal), going on to lose to Hull 9-12 in the Semi final.

Read your 2008 article......................

id say only leicester have "out grown" their stadium...hence why they are in the middle of rebuilding welford road....which was falling down anyway

sure the likes of northampton,Gloucester,quins have all increased the capacities of their stadia in recent years but thats mainly due to modernization of 100 year old stadia..

thats no different to leeds building the carniegie stand,hull kr expanding and building a new stand at cravan park,salford moving to a new,larger stadium...likewise st helens..or hull fc....or warrington....who have not long since expanded their already new stadium...

so i really don't see the point you're trying to make??

Salford were not filling the Willows, yet have move to a stadium that is crippling them financially, and to a point that could see them going down Bradfords route.

Hull KR have increased their stadium due to them having only two stands and relative poor viewing due to the original design of the ground, and no real terrracing behind the goals, Hull KR were not filling Craven Park every week. Fantastic for them, and the game in general.

Leeds have modenised Headingly, not just to increase capacity (only one of two), but to put a roofed stand at one end as opposed to the original open ended terrace.

Warrington have increased the HJ due to demand, and that's good - they are enjoying a successful period at present. But out of all the SL that's only 2 clubs out of 14, but that's only that they are the two successful of the past few years. Look at Sale for comparison, they are at the bottom at present yet can pull in 5843 for their last home game (the one previous was 8k plus), yet Salford could only pull in 3458 and 4000 for the visit of Champions Leeds. On those sort of crowds, and it's been said that Salford need 30k a game to play at the stadium, it's no wonder Salford are in trouble.

The article you refered to stated that some RU clubs were at their capcity limit, thus reducing their potential for income.

Research from the Sports Business Group at Deloitte based on financial data referring to the 2007/08 – the most recent season for which information was available - reveals that revenue growth, which topped £100 million year, may be being restricted by the limited capacity of some clubs’ stadiums

It doesn't matter how big your stadium is, it's the people that attend that matter, and like most modern stadia , it can become a white elephant if it's half empty every week.

Look at the next England V Australia international, and see how many RL get compared to RU. We used to be able to fill Old Trafford for a test match against the old enemy, but struggle to fill a 25k stadium. In fact, look at a Scotland V Namibia international, and even that would get more these days than a RL test match against the Aussies. That's a sad fact of the state of the International game at RL at the moment. Even the Aussies paly it second fiddle to SOO these days. That's progress?

I recall one of the reasons for the inception of SL was to bring more quality to the GB international team to make us more competitive with the Aussies.

In reality the opposite has happened,we're certainly no closer if not further away and like Oldhamer says we no longer get the crowds we used to.

Has SL brought anything positive to the game except make the top level players considerably richer?

Exactly my point Crab. Pre SL, RL had the edge over Union at club level, in both administation, sponsorship and proffesionalism. Union however, always had it better on an international stage. Saying that, GB V Australia at league level was always played with healthy attendances at either Wembley, Old Trafford or Elland Road - albeit without the ticket offers of today. Union have learned alot from league over the years on how to administer the game, yet the RFL have bundled from one mistake to another, and never have learned their lessons. Both codes are not perfect, but if I had to pick a model to follow at present, it wouldn't be league.

Crowds may have increased at SL clubs, but beneath the SL, crowds have plummteted dramatically, yet nothing is done to address this. Yet they keep nailing the coffin lid shut by the franchise farce it is. League has a limited fan base, and it's not rocket science that the fans missing, have either given up watching all togther, or gone watching their nearest SL club. Are the RFL doing anything to entice fans to the Championship or Championship 1, as currently they have nothing to play for apart from pride.

The reason SL clubs are abandoning the teams below the firsts is down to greed. They want more money to fund players salaries, and let the championship clubs do their development for them. Personally, I could see this happening 7/8 years ago, and unfortunately, it's becoming the accepted 'norm'. We are further behing the Aussies at test level than ever before, and being honest, they aren't a patch on their 80s/90s counterparts. But before SL, we competed, and competed well against them. Not anymore.