Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

YOUR TEN FAVOURITE BASS GUITARISTS living or dead

54 posts in this topic

[media=]

[/media]

if there is a better bass player than roger waters i want to here him.

it isn't about who is the best

[media=]

[/media]

if there is a better bass player than roger waters i want to here him.

That song is an awesome start to a fabulous album......still possibly in my top five albums

Youth

Good call. He also produced Paul McCartney's best album in 20 years - The Fireman "Electric Arguments".

Lemmy

Cliff Burton

Jah Wobble

Bruce Foxton

John Paul Jones

Steve Harris

Norman Watt Roy

Jimmy Bain

Gene Simmons

John Entwistle

Norman Watt Roy

Oh, good choice!

Oh, good choice!

Cheers!

Had the pleasure of a beer with him and Wilko a few years ago- a real gent and very entertaining. My brother, a bass player himself, thinks he's the dogs cahunas.

Had the pleasure of seeing The Magic Band at the Holmfirth Picturedrome Sunday evening and Rockette Morton (Mark Boston) was in fine form, always had great admiration for any musician who can master Beefhearts music.

Had the pleasure of seeing The Magic Band at the Holmfirth Picturedrome Sunday evening and Rockette Morton (Mark Boston) was in fine form, always had great admiration for any musician who can master Beefhearts music.

Not everybody can hit that long looming note and let if float.

Cheers!

Had the pleasure of a beer with him and Wilko a few years ago- a real gent and very entertaining. My brother, a bass player himself, thinks he's the dogs cahunas.

As I have seen Wilko play more than any other act I guess that means I have seen NWR live more than any other bass player. Norman is captivating visually. I don't recall any other bass player with as much stage presence.

Cliff Burton

I remember hearing 'pulling teeth' from 'Kill 'em all' and arguing 'as if that is a bass guitar...'

Did I ever tell you about the time I missed out on that photo with Cliff, not sure I ever mention it.

I remember hearing 'pulling teeth' from 'Kill 'em all' and arguing 'as if that is a bass guitar...'

Did I ever tell you about the time I missed out on that photo with Cliff, not sure I ever mention it.

Metallica lost "something" when Cliff died- a bit of weirdness that they never got back. A great band without a doubt, but never the same for me, either live or on record.

As a fairly infrequent visitor to this board, I've not heard that story.....do tell.......

As I have seen Wilko play more than any other act I guess that means I have seen NWR live more than any other bass player. Norman is captivating visually. I don't recall any other bass player with as much stage presence.

I'll be seeing them in York in a couple of weeks. Dead right about stage presence and he's competing with one of the most charismatic stage performers ever in Wilko!

I'll be seeing them in York in a couple of weeks. Dead right about stage presence and he's competing with one of the most charismatic stage performers ever in Wilko!

Might well be there myself.

Metallica lost "something" when Cliff died- a bit of weirdness that they never got back. A great band without a doubt, but never the same for me, either live or on record.

Absolutely, still a great band without him but you can't help but wonder just how good they could have been had Cliff not been killed. His influences seemed to be a lot more eclectic than the rest of the band and he brought a real artistry to the music. He does stuff on those first three albums the like of which I've never heard from another rock bassist.

I think I'm going to have to listen Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets now, with a bit of Kill Em All thrown in for good measure.

Absolutely, still a great band without him but you can't help but wonder just how good they could have been had Cliff not been killed. His influences seemed to be a lot more eclectic than the rest of the band and he brought a real artistry to the music. He does stuff on those first three albums the like of which I've never heard from another rock bassist.

I think I'm going to have to listen Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets now, with a bit of Kill Em All thrown in for good measure.

Agree 100% mate.

I dug out those 3 albums recently and played them....on vinyl!

I have a Metallica bootleg somewhere and it is from before Cliff was even in the band. It was a guy called Ron McGubney (? Spelling) and Dave Mustaine was playing. 4 Horsemen was still called 'Mechanix'

Agree 100% mate.

I dug out those 3 albums recently and played them....on vinyl!

I have a Metallica bootleg somewhere and it is from before Cliff was even in the band. It was a guy called Ron McGubney (? Spelling) and Dave Mustaine was playing. 4 Horsemen was still called 'Mechanix'

Is that the 'No Life Till Leather' bootleg? I think his surname is McGovney. I've got a feeling Garage Inc. was so named as a tribute to Ron's garage where they used to get together and play.

Is that the 'No Life Till Leather' bootleg? I think his surname is McGovney. I've got a feeling Garage Inc. was so named as a tribute to Ron's garage where they used to get together and play.

No its not that but I have that somewhere. Its a live tape from 1982.

As a fairly infrequent visitor to this board, I've not heard that story.....do tell.......

All it was really was that I got backstage on the MOP tour in 1986 via some mates who were on the tour. We were milling about and after a few minutes bizzarely I decided to go to the bog. During this time they told everyone to leave and my mate (who I had got in) took the opportunity to have a few photos with the band, including a beauty with Cliff (which he still gloats about). I could have kicked myself for being so daft. About a week later he was dead

All it was really was that I got backstage on the MOP tour in 1986 via some mates who were on the tour. We were milling about and after a few minutes bizzarely I decided to go to the bog. During this time they told everyone to leave and my mate (who I had got in) took the opportunity to have a few photos with the band, including a beauty with Cliff (which he still gloats about). I could have kicked myself for being so daft. About a week later he was dead

"Puppets" is flawless- the only album I've ever heard without a single duff second. Even Kirks usual "awkward" phrasing is absent.

That tour was the first time I ever saw them- Anthrax as support and James with a broken wrist. John Marshall (a roadie, later to join Metal Church) filled in stage right and played the rhythm parts. They were still incredible and all for £4.50!

No its not that but I have that somewhere. Its a live tape from 1982.

Sounds like the same one that I have, if it is then it is called Power Metal

Sounds like the same one that I have, if it is then it is called Power Metal

Could be that. I got it from a tape trader and it hasn't really got a title on it.

In regards to the Cliff Burton discussion; Jason Newsted doesn't seem to get alot of credit. Individually Burton is way better. As a cog to a band offering drive, vibe and great bass plying within a song it's Newsted's for mine..

In regards to the Cliff Burton discussion; Jason Newsted doesn't seem to get alot of credit. Individually Burton is way better. As a cog to a band offering drive, vibe and great bass plying within a song it's Newsted's for mine..

You've made a good point there and with many bands I'd agree, but Hetfields guitar is what drives their sound- so much so that Jason is hardly audible on much of the stuff recorded while he was with them, especially "and Justice for All" and it still sounds powerful.

Incidentally, how much better would "Justice" and St Anger" be had they been better produced? The drums on both are dreadful- "St Anger" sounding like he's hitting a beer tray.