Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

YOUR TEN FAVOURITE BASS GUITARISTS living or dead

54 posts in this topic

Not familiar with all of Metallica's albums, but Newsted's bass guitar is totally buried in the mix on 'Justice'. The band have also copped a whole lot of flak for the final mix of 'Death Magnetic'.

Incidentally, how much better would "Justice" and St Anger" be had they been better produced? The drums on both are dreadful- "St Anger" sounding like he's hitting a beer tray.

Totally agree, it spoilt what could have been a brilliant album.

You've made a good point there and with many bands I'd agree, but Hetfields guitar is what drives their sound- so much so that Jason is hardly audible on much of the stuff recorded while he was with them, especially "and Justice for All" and it still sounds powerful.

Incidentally, how much better would "Justice" and St Anger" be had they been better produced? The drums on both are dreadful- "St Anger" sounding like he's hitting a beer tray.

I have their last two albums but haven't listened to them much. I feel St Anger was better mixed than their last album though. I know what you are saying about Justice . It seems weird that the mix is awful at times yet for "One" the drumming is clear as a bell.

I have their last two albums but haven't listened to them much. I feel St Anger was better mixed than their last album though. I know what you are saying about Justice . It seems weird that the mix is awful at times yet for "One" the drumming is clear as a bell.

I've not noticed that- will have a listen later. "One" was the single and released ahead of the album. I wonder if that had something to do with it?

St Anger seems to divide opinion amongst Metallica fans- I've only listened to it about five times. The second time was via my mates stereo because I couldn't believe how bad it sounded on mine. Some of the songs on there are brilliant though, although they rarely play them live. Weird.