Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fredm

Rams and Bulls announce link-up (merged threads)

282 posts in this topic

Looks like we have DR the entire Bradford squad.

As the entire Bradford squad ain't all that good, that seems a pointless exercise. I'm beginning to lose the will to live. :(

As the entire Bradford squad ain't all that good, that seems a pointless exercise. I'm beginning to lose the will to live. :(

Agreed but their better than widnes and could match Hulls.

Very true only 5 DR players at any one time. However, I haven't seen anything to stop the following:

Workington are looking for a top 4 finish and a home draw in the play off's, Widnes on the other hand, have 5 games left of the season and nothing to left to play for. There is no relegation and it is mathematically impossible for them to get in the play off's.

With nothing to play for, Widnes decide to pay the remainder of the contracts to 5 lads on there books until the end of the season, there is no financial detriment that way to either the players or the club who would have to pay it anyway, leaving the players as free agents. They do this on the proviso, these lads sign for Workington until the end of the season. Workington sign these lads on match terms for say £1 a match. The players already have the contract money from Widnes coming in so the money isn't an issue for the players, and it ensures Workington stay under the salary cap limit.

Workington have 5 newly signed Widnes players until the end of the season signed for nothing, and 5 spaces open to DR other players. At the end of the season, Therefore 10 of the Widnes first team can turn out in the latter rounds.

When the season has finished, Widnes can then re-sign these lads as they are free agents again. "simples"

I bet you write kids fairy tales as well.

First of all clubs are only allowed to use 5 dual registered players in any one match.

Each SL player dual registered carries a nominal value for every Championship game that they play and that value is added each game to the Championship clubs salary cap total. Examples are a player earning over a £100k in SL adds £1,500 to the Championship clubs salary cap total, irrespective of what it actually costs the club. The salaries are then scaled down -£60k - £100k carries a £1,000 addition; £40k - £59,999 adds £750; £20k - £39,999 adds £500 and Under £20 adds actual costs incurred.

You don't have to be a mathematical genius to see that Championship clubs couldn't hope to get top SL players and stay below the salary cap limit.

Even if clubs did have scope within their salary cap to add a top SL player they couldn't do it for the play-offs unless the player had played in the appropriate number of qualifying league games for the Championship club (it's either 50% or 75% of games - I can't remember which!!).

So all the theories and "what ifs" are just that. Just because all the Widnes players have been registered does not mean that they will be anywhere near the Town team and in practice it will be lads on the fringe or lower that play same as at any of the linked clubs.

I bet you write kids fairy tales as well.

First of all clubs are only allowed to use 5 dual registered players in any one match.

Each SL player dual registered carries a nominal value for every Championship game that they play and that value is added each game to the Championship clubs salary cap total. Examples are a player earning over a £100k in SL adds £1,500 to the Championship clubs salary cap total, irrespective of what it actually costs the club. The salaries are then scaled down -£60k - £100k carries a £1,000 addition; £40k - £59,999 adds £750; £20k - £39,999 adds £500 and Under £20 adds actual costs incurred.

You don't have to be a mathematical genius to see that Championship clubs couldn't hope to get top SL players and stay below the salary cap limit.

Even if clubs did have scope within their salary cap to add a top SL player they couldn't do it for the play-offs unless the player had played in the appropriate number of qualifying league games for the Championship club (it's either 50% or 75% of games - I can't remember which!!).

So all the theories and "what ifs" are just that. Just because all the Widnes players have been registered does not mean that they will be anywhere near the Town team and in practice it will be lads on the fringe or lower that play same as at any of the linked clubs.

That's fine - and well explained by the way, but then the question arises, why bother to dual reg a whole squad, most of whom you (and us) won't be able to afford ?

That's fine - and well explained by the way, but then the question arises, why bother to dual reg a whole squad, most of whom you (and us) won't be able to afford ?

Two reasons gor. First the players were all registered by Widnes and I think the idea behind that was Dennis Betts "geeing" up his squad to show them that everyone was being treat the same (in theory anyways). Secondly if they had only registered say 6 players and none of them was a hooker. If Town required a hooker they would have to register another player before he could play so by registering the whole squad it saves on administration as well. As you say it is a paper exercise as the top players wont be playing as dual registered players - too costly.

Two reasons gor. First the players were all registered by Widnes ...

If that is true Workington are no longer an independent club

If that is true Workington are no longer an independent club

Do you think for one minute that Workington could have rung the RFL up and told them they wanted to register all the Widnes squad? The players belong to Widnes!!!!

Do you think for one minute that Workington could have rung the RFL up and told them they wanted to register all the Widnes squad? The players belong to Widnes!!!!

Yes of course that's what Workington have done.otherwise if Widnes can register players as Workington players then Workington are clearly no longer independent!

If Widnes can decide who is registered to play for Workington then Workington are clearly no longer independent!

Rubbish

So who's in charge of registering Workington players, Workington themselves or Widnes?

You'll have to read the rules. Only SL players can be dual registered to a Championship club. We haven't got any players to dual reg to anyone as we are the Championship club. Just like the Rams we have to wait and see who the SL club make available.

Rubbish.

Well thats that out of the way.Come on lads see if we can get it before the press announce it.

Well thats that out of the way.Come on lads see if we can get it before the press announce it.

I thought Glen Morrison had confirmed it to the press?

i will eat humble pie now because it has now been decided between the two clubs to mass dr the squads although only 5 can play at any one time . personaly i dont like the arrangement in general and i feel uncomfortable with the way this situation is working out and its implications .francis cannot dictate that any player has to play for us as that is up to glenn alone so team selection is up to the host coach but i still dont like it at face value . apologies equalizer

No I don't like it either. Thought Singelton and Hood were good for us and them, but we could end up playing lots of different players, who have no interest in the Rams.

i will eat humble pie now because it has now been decided between the two clubs to mass dr the squads although only 5 can play at any one time . personaly i dont like the arrangement in general and i feel uncomfortable with the way this situation is working out and its implications .francis cannot dictate that any player has to play for us as that is up to glenn alone so team selection is up to the host coach but i still dont like it at face value . apologies equalizer

Frankly the whole thing stinks. Not sure how it will pan out for us or others, buts its clear that any manager will become "interested" in these DR players if they are looking down the barrel of relegation or on the periphery of the play offs. It will also become a lottery for all the clubs as to when we play each other. What if we play Doncaster this Sunday and because its early doors they dont have any DR players on duty, but when York, Hunslet or others go there three games from relegation and they have 5 SL players on the field. How is that fair? Points this season might just depend on when you play teams and how many SL players they have that day......

Although only five players can play under DR ,the number could be increased with season long loans.It has the potential to become farcical.

Just to add a bit of perspective i have yet to see a "SL player" who has been drafted into any side on DR make an immediate, or even game-changing impact. This I can't see any one side suddenly improving their performances overnight simple by the introduction of a couple of different players. In addition, the majority of players who are being considered are relatively young and inexperienced and, indeed, it is this experience that the SL club is hoping to gain.

I don't doubt that one coach or another will try to play the system a little (who remembers Geoff Fletcher's manoeuvring to keep Highfield in the league?) but overall I don't expect the immediate impact to be all that great. Long-term however might be a different matter.

Ditto with every thing negative thats been said.Does this mean the Championship could start to mirror the S.L.Those on a D/R with the top clubs will start to do better in our league.

Just to add a bit of perspective i have yet to see a "SL player" who has been drafted into any side on DR make an immediate, or even game-changing impact. This I can't see any one side suddenly improving their performances overnight simple by the introduction of a couple of different players. In addition, the majority of players who are being considered are relatively young and inexperienced and, indeed, it is this experience that the SL club is hoping to gain.

I don't doubt that one coach or another will try to play the system a little (who remembers Geoff Fletcher's manoeuvring to keep Highfield in the league?) but overall I don't expect the immediate impact to be all that great. Long-term however might be a different matter.

Not sure about that BSJ, a couple of seasons ago leigh had some dual reg's from warrington who made, by their own fans admition, a huge difference to the teams performance whenever they appeared that season - among them was matty blythe.

my main concern is that a player or players could appear on a teamsheet out of the blue and for one thing that player might have no great desire to exert himself and also that player might not be conversant with playing structures . Also what about the players who are displaced by temporary blokes , surely those who train hard and are club players will not be impressed by not playing in favour of " guest" players.

my main concern is that a player or players could appear on a teamsheet out of the blue and for one thing that player might have no great desire to exert himself and also that player might not be conversant with playing structures . Also what about the players who are displaced by temporary blokes , surely those who train hard and are club players will not be impressed by not playing in favour of " guest" players.

for example, how will tebby feel when glen plays adam obrien this weekend, when tebbys done nothing wrong in the pre season games???

IMO we dont need adam obrien and james donaldson anyway and i certainly dont think its fair on them who will be dropped for no fault of their own..

Another concern of mine is that clubs may become lazy in recruiting their own squads. If leeds for example, with their large player base, decide to have a squad of forty, hunslet would only need to sign the bare bones, and still know they would be able to turn out a side capable of doing well, simply because they would have twenty fringe players to choose their five from. It really is disincentivising clubs to stand on their own two feet IMO.