Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dadafrank

68 posts in this topic

Pleased with the Newtown Jets finally winning their Grand Final!!!

Nothing else matters.

Would have liked to see Rochdale promoted...

What he said...

Two teams to reflect on :)

EAGLES

Pleased with:

* Silverware! Winning the Championship GF at our second attempt… amazing result!

* Slight increase in attendances, showing the the Eagles marketing work is beginning to have some effect

* Doncaster being promoted so we can thrash them several times next season :D

Not pleased with:

* It's still hard work getting people in Sheffield to pay attention

* Lack of acknowledgement for our achievements in the Championship awards (again)

* Doncaster fans cheering on Fev, and on final day their Chairman saying that he would support Fev and not the Eagles as they're a "Yorkshire team" (geography not his strong point, obviously)

SONICS

Pleased with:

* Successful first season in tier 3 after a difficult start

* Beating league leaders (and eventual champs) Hemel at our place - massive shock!

* All the lads stepping up and proving they have what it takes to play at a higher level of amateur rugby

* Continuing junior work

* Successful second team season

Not pleased with:

* Not knowing what League we'll be in next year

* Being snubbed by the NCL and not being given a reason why

* Inward-looking attitude of London and SE clubs

* Lack of RFL development work in the SW now the development manager has left his post (with apologies to the Midlands RL staff who have taken us on, but are stretched enough as it is)

I think the clue is in the name, hey well done you were leading the league when it finished, this methods is accepted almost anywhere it is played - yank pseudo-rugby, nrl, afl, celtic league and actually most rugby union club comps, ice hockey, basketball - who are the only fans to moan in any great numbers - brit leaguies quelle bloody surprise!

Not wanting to wade too deeply into a completely irrelevant discussion, but the likes of American Football, Ice Hockey and Basketball all have divisional titles for the regular season so it kind of emphasises Riding Pie's point. All Riding Pie is saying in a clumsy way is that the SL regular season stage (i.e. the league) has a title to be won as well. The status is actually much less in terms of 'leaders' rather than 'champions' as in other sports, but to denigrate it as meaningless is self defeating to the sport. I have no axe to grind with regard to the positive occasion that a Grand Final is, due to the 'Champions' status being conferred to the winner of a top 8 end of season comp. However consequently the PR machine appears to have swung too far away from consistency over the course of the season as the mark of excellence. The move to the current top 8 structure doesn't help in offering no great advantage to the top 2 sides, unlike the previous system. In this regard, it favours short term form and fortune with injuries / suspension and is effectively an elite knock out comp in the latter stage of CC mode. In contrast, other sports utilising end of season playoffs are a fairer system entirely given they still adopt a principle based upon advancement through consistency (best of series) rather than one and done elimination rounds like SL that favours the probability of the 'shock' one off outcome.

It's a strange system where if Warrington win on Saturday, all of the final four will have lost one game in the playoffs, but the team that is fortunate enough to take that loss earliest is declared Champions.

As my posting history shows I'm ignorant of most things when it comes to rugby.

You didn't win the Super League title, you didn't win Super League. You won a qualifying stage. Well done. It's meaningless.

League Leaders Shield & prize money

Yes that's right the league title, i.e. the title of Champions, are the team that wins the grand final, and I've never argued otherwise. And its far more prestigious to win that.

However, at the end of the league competition Wigan were top of the league. We won the league, nothing else.

If the team that finished sixth in Championship One had won the Grand Final they'd have been crowned Champions but wouldnt have been promoted with the others. That's how daft it is. Wigan won the league and should be the REAL Champions

The highlight of the season was Fev knocking SL opposition out of the Challenge Cup and giving the mighty Wigan a real scare in the next round.

If the team that finished sixth in Championship One had won the Grand Final they'd have been crowned Champions but wouldnt have been promoted with the others. That's how daft it is. Wigan won the league and should be the REAL Champions

does that mean Dewsbury weren't the real champions in 73?

does that mean Dewsbury weren't the real champions in 73?

In case any younger members doubt it, Stevo was a fantastic player.

given the structure of the playoffs, if you can win thre grand final from sixth plaace or whwtever, then you are a championm side.

wasn't prom and rteg decided by play offs during one of its many manifestations?

In case any younger members doubt it, Stevo was a fantastic player.

Aye he was. Obviously took a lot of hammer along the way.

Aye he was. Obviously took a lot of hammer along the way.

at least he's been there and done it.

It's all too easy to underestimaate Stevo

As a London supporter, this season's been a disaster with no sign of much better until we get an owner who understands RL and how to run a business ( Hughes makes his money as a one man band oil trader).

I agree that most of this season was very disappointing but there were some positive signs. The young locally produced players coming through, the change of name and the PLANNED approach to moving to a new venue are only a few possible examples.

I don"t understand the remarks about David Hughes though. Without David Hughes what guarantee is there that there will be a London team in the SuperLeague?

Yes that's right the league title, i.e. the title of Champions, are the team that wins the grand final, and I've never argued otherwise. And its far more prestigious to win that.

However, at the end of the league competition Wigan were top of the league. We won the league, nothing else.

Because of the way the title is won, via a Grand Final. The intensity/Importance of certain games throughout the season falls away. If it had been first past the post you may not have finished top. Tony Smith may not have rotated/rested certain part of the squad. You can only win the league if it is a first past the post competiton.

at least he's been there and done it.

It's all too easy to underestimaate Stevo

I did acknowledge he'd been there and done it Chris. I don't know the bloke and can only take him as I find him via his bullish and often ill informed rambling which annoys the hell out of me. And I dont want to read his book.

I agree that most of this season was very disappointing but there were some positive signs. The young locally produced players coming through, the change of name and the PLANNED approach to moving to a new venue are only a few possible examples.

I don"t understand the remarks about David Hughes though. Without David Hughes what guarantee is there that there will be a London team in the SuperLeague?

Obviously, without David Hughes there probably would be no SL club in London, however the club has no marketing strategy (or, it would appear, marketing team), has just got rid of a coach with no experience of the professional game at any level who was appointed against the advice of the RL and has had to parachute in a previous coach to salvage something from a catastrophic season and there was no annoucement at the last home game as to where we'd be playing next season - someone apparently asked David Hughes after the match about that and he just pointed at the Stoop's pitch. Some supporters are now wondering as to whether the club is just being wound down and will not be applying for a new licence for 2014 (I'm not one, by the way, I just put it down to incompetence and Hughes being too arrogant to accept reasonable advice from people in the game).

I did acknowledge he'd been there and done it Chris. I don't know the bloke and can only take him as I find him via his bullish and often ill informed rambling which annoys the hell out of me. And I dont want to read his book.

I find a little of Stevo goes a long way. There can't be a matchy goes by on SKY where I don't find myself telling stevo to shut it about half a dozen times

but I think he's more knowledgeable and insightful than he's often given credit for

Not pleased -

The possibility of signing Scott Murrell

Scratch that, Halifax bound.

A play off system is only really "needed" when there are groups so the teams "playing off" haven't played each other.

The league system is the fairest way to determine the best side over a season. I love the play offs, and the game needs the money, so it would be poor to get rid of them.

We need to work towards two groups to make the play offs more credible and necessary. Can't see that happening without a big boom in European Rugby League and TV deals over there.