Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roosterbooster

Get a grip

66 posts in this topic

Equally, one bad decision, one error, an injury, a harsh sending off, in a league game can mean the difference between winning and losing the league title.

That old one-off chestnut is a complete red herring, if I may mix my metaphors.

yes, but over a season there is the chance of lots, or even every team having a bad day. don't forget our 2 thrashings at home by fax and yourselves plus the loss of tangi for a large part of the season. come to think of it we did better than i thought in winning the league, thanks griff.

yes, but over a season there is the chance of lots, or even every team having a bad day. .

True - but in a close competition, one game may be crucial.

I remember topping the league in 2003 on points difference from Chorley and Keighley, basically on the back of a huge 98-4 win over a weak, end of season Skolars team.

It's only a completely fair competition if you play every team with exactly the same personnel in exactly the same conditions and that can never happen.

True - but in a close competition, one game may be crucial.

I remember topping the league in 2003 on points difference from Chorley and Keighley, basically on the back of a huge 98-4 win over a weak, end of season Skolars team.

It's only a completely fair competition if you play every team with exactly the same personnel in exactly the same conditions and that can never happen.

not completely fair, but fairer

That second try they scored was out of the top draw IMO if we had scored it we would have been saying it was the try of the season. I thought at the time maybe a forward pass but having looked back at the replay you would have to be very brave to have given a forward, bet you don't see a try as good as that this weekend.

not completely fair, but fairer

You reckon ?

Tell you what - I'd rather have two teams going at each other to see which is the better side. Much better than "we won because we scored 20 more points against Lower Hockleton when they had a few players out".

You right Martin no point debating this issue to the endth degree. It has been a great 3 seasons just so disappointed & frustrated it could & should have been so much better. Move on still a lot to be positive about.

It could have been better Nev if those ever so close defeats had gone our way but that's sport. Look at how many Grand Finals the iconic Saints have lost in recent years.

You reckon ?

Tell you what - I'd rather have two teams going at each other to see which is the better side. Much better than "we won because we scored 20 more points against Lower Hockleton when they had a few players out".

but we had Sam Smeaton and Mick Haley missing and you had Joe Hirst missing.. you speak as if all playoff teams have their full compliment of players available. not the case.

but we had Sam Smeaton and Mick Haley missing and you had Joe Hirst missing.. you speak as if all playoff teams have their full compliment of players available. not the case.

But that's partly my point - if you wait for every team to have everything just right, there'd never be a game. Ever.

Leagues aren't any fairer than knock-out games - despite the popular conception. Sure you appear to get another chance but the reality is that the chance you've just blown was your only chance.

But that's partly my point - if you wait for every team to have everything just right, there'd never be a game. Ever.

Leagues aren't any fairer than knock-out games - despite the popular conception. Sure you appear to get another chance but the reality is that the chance you've just blown was your only chance.

as i said, never will be completely fair, but playing each team home and away over a season has to be fairer. i was at the challenge cup final in 1960 (i think) when wakefield played a hull side decimated by flu. hull lost by a record score, hardly fair. ok thats me done.

aye OR, but I bet griff has that 'last word'!

I certainly hope not. I like a debate.

Some points to start us off ......

• Easy to pick out a Cup Final but not so easy to remember that match six months ago when your nearest rivals in the league turned up with a side decimated by 'flu against a team they'd normally have beaten.
  • People like Finals. The biggest attendances are for the finals. Almost invariably. Even at our level. Even Sunday's modest attendance was about double the best Championship + the best Championship 1 attendance.
  • The climax to a knock-out competition is always at the end.
  • There are no meaningless games in a knock out competition.
  • The key match in a league season could be anywhere.

I certainly hope not. I like a debate.

Some points to start us off ......

• Easy to pick out a Cup Final but not so easy to remember that match six months ago when your nearest rivals in the league turned up with a side decimated by 'flu against a team they'd normally have beaten.
  • People like Finals. The biggest attendances are for the finals. Almost invariably. Even at our level. Even Sunday's modest attendance was about double the best Championship + the best Championship 1 attendance.
  • The climax to a knock-out competition is always at the end.
  • There are no meaningless games in a knock out competition.
  • The key match in a league season could be anywhere.

I can easily pick out a cup final:- Wembley 1983. Fev beat the champions because they were the best team on the day, but in no way did we think we were the best team in the league, that was Hull, the team we beat.

Theres plusses and minuses to both systems.

That said I prefer a fixture list and champions are the ones on top after all the games are played; but thats not the system we play.

You reckon ?

I agree, so when do we play Leigh? I assume you meant the top two fight it out to ;)

I agree, so when do we play Leigh? I assume you meant the top two fight it out to ;)

Why ?

You fought it out with Leigh and won, we fought it out with Leigh and wom, we fought it out with you and won.