Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

Who will win?   39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

296 posts in this topic

Aussies aren't always right and should never be followed with blind faith.

Complaints about the playoff system have been ongoing irrespective of the GF winner. It takes nothing away from Leeds achievements over the last two years, to suggest that the balance isn't quite right at the minute given the regular season has been devalued to an extent that finishing position is relatively unimportant. The GF was a great spectacle, as were the playoffs, but the SL season remains February - October, not just September / October, and the first seven months shouldn't feel as unimportant as they do under the current system.

Anyway congratulations Leeds, deserved champions as awarded under a system we were all aware of at the start of the season, irrespective of whether we agree with it or not.

And people will be bored if the season ends 3 or 4 weeks early if the title is already won in a first past the post.

And people will be bored if the season ends 3 or 4 weeks early if the title is already won in a first past the post.

We don't have to scrap the play offs, just reduce the number of teams involved.

So we reduce the number of teams in the playoffs and team x win it for 2 years running from the last playoff place,what then?

Grand finalist and cc holders - what an achievement for my club, so proud of them.

Warrington like Hull FC join Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Leeds as the only teams to play in a GF!!

Now - let's speak about the champion side, with the drive, desire and determination to win the big knock out matches.

Kevin Sinfield AGAIN proves how he can push his team around the park, captain marvellous.

Leeds the champions of Super League - fully deserved

Made up for TWIG he's a true gent.... Congrats to the other Leeds fans.

I told my great friend Paul before Wembley "I am a jinx at wembley in last few years"but I wanted A wembley win for this group and At the time I would have exchanged A GF for a cc final win,but tonight I realise what this period of time means to the club and the city.Sincere wishes and hope you are ok Paul, I am certain your time will come.I was distraught after Wembley again

You did indeed say your a jinx when we met at wembley, I was hoping you'd pop over for the GF to carry on your jinx.

congrats mate..... Made up for you.

I'm so proud of warrington! They've had a great year.

Leeds were the champions and still our the champions.

They'll take some beating next year!!

Leeds won because Warrington forgot how to take a pass in.

Also Lee Briers brought his most predictable, pedestrian kicking game I've seen him play in a long time.

Hope everyone in the mass brawl in the East Stand gets the full punishment they deserve too.

Simply brilliant game. Loved every minute of it and thought Leeds were nothing short of immense.

Chuffed for terywebbisgod and even more pleased that pmjwires has nothing to shout about

I've nothing to shout about - CC 3 times in 4 years, a LLS and now grand finalist!!

If that's not worth shouting about I don't know what is???

Trophies in our new cabinet in our new ground!!

Wigan, bulls, Leeds, saints, hull FC and warrington only clubs to play on a GF!!

So yep, plenty to shout about!!

It's about time SL got rid of the lesser clubs, especially the ones with old grounds who offer nothing to super league!

Just watched the game again on the recording and enjoyed it yet again. Brilliant atmosphere - the best for some time. Congratulations to Warrington and their fans, they were a pleasure to chat to!

What people have to remember is that winning it twice from 5th is likely to be a huge coincidence. The SL is not very old. When you can look back on 50 odd years of SL playoffs (5, 6 or 8 teams whatever) then teams will have won it from all positions. Maybe the only one that will stand out in 2060 is Salford winning it from 8th in 2020.

Anyway stop moaning. It's the best game on the planet by a long way.

What an occasion at Old Trafford.

Sport at its best! Congratulations to both sides. And that means to them all ..........

To the players, their captains and superb, professional coaches, their clubs and everyone involved at both. From the Chairmen to whoever imagines him-or-herself least worthy, it takes teamwork - top to bottom - if sports men and women are to maintain that total focus on what they are there to do. To win; to try and try and try and try to win; to ride, run, jump or play hard and fast but never dirty, and ultimately, when the day is theirs, to wear the laurels with grace and a measure of humility.

Or if the glory goes elsewhere to accept the disappointment of losing with fortitude and honesty, holding heads up high with the pride that belongs to excellence.

We have had a wonderful year, this year, of affirmations that excellence is alive and well in `Sport Britannia', and for me last night's game was up there with the best.

:-)

Grand finalist and cc holders - what an achievement for my club, so proud of them.

Warrington like Hull FC join Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Leeds as the only teams to play in a GF!!

Shouldn't one of the Leeds references be replaced by another club, known as Bradford Bulls?

So we reduce the number of teams in the playoffs and team x win it for 2 years running from the last playoff place,what then?

Then they will be worthy winners having done it the really hard way.

The play offs are meant to produce games like last nights, not several one sided hammerings. Top 8 dilutes both the play offs and the full season. Of course Leeds didn't aim for 5th spot but knowing there were 8 places up for grabs clearly isn't driving teams to bust a gut for the rest of the season. Believe it or not, this isn't about Leeds as such, it applies to all.

Then they will be worthy winners having done it the really hard way.

The play offs are meant to produce games like last nights, not several one sided hammerings. Top 8 dilutes both the play offs and the full season. Of course Leeds didn't aim for 5th spot but knowing there were 8 places up for grabs clearly isn't driving teams to bust a gut for the rest of the season. Believe it or not, this isn't about Leeds as such, it applies to all.

I know it's not all about Leeds .I think Wakey did actually bust a gut to get into the 8.

I know it's not all about Leeds .I think Wakey did actually bust a gut to get into the 8.

And at the risk of stirring up some Wakey fans, they only got their by default. Not a high enough standard for the play offs.

And at the risk of stirring up some Wakey fans, they only got their by default. Not a high enough standard for the play offs.

Wasn't the top 8 introduced to give teams more to play for,would that happen if we went back to 5.If i remember correctly the playoffs were normally decided about 3/4 of the way through the season when it was top 5.

Don't you find it strange that a team finishing in the bottom half of the table, has the opportunity to be involved in the playoffs? For mine, it has to be a top six, maximum, with some form of benefit for finishing top.

Don't you find it strange that a team finishing in the bottom half of the table, has the opportunity to be involved in the playoffs? For mine, it has to be a top six, maximum, with some form of benefit for finishing top.

the top team ,get two bites at the cherry,surely that's a benefit.

Hope everyone in the mass brawl in the East Stand gets the full punishment they deserve too.

I was in the Upper Tier North Stand and did not see any of this inside or outside the ground although having spent the afternoon at the BARLA matches at Heywood Road it was a case of straight up from Old Trafford metrolink head to where the Yorkshire Programmes crew were selling the badges then into the ground and after the game straight to Exchange Quay for the tram to my B&B over in Ladywell so I can't comment on the atmosphere in the pubs near the ground this year. What I would say is there were fewer neutrals this year than at any other year, at least in club gear., I was the only visible Bronco and you could see knots of lads in both ends supporting the other team which was noticable when the tries were scored. I thought to myself that would not go down too well and from reading elsewhere it did'nt..

Cracking game though as someone who would not want Mac to win an Egg cup let along the Grand Final - again - after his term as London Coach. I'm Gutted... :(

Have not read the thread through but some of the comments are similar to those on the Metrolink last night, hey who cares if Leeds were fifth after the regular season. Everyone knew the rules before the season started. One day someone will win from seventh or eighth spot putting it together for four games. Change it if the majority of feeling in game feels this bizzare but don't deny the achievement of those who have played by the rules as they currently stand this season..

the top team ,get two bites at the cherry,surely that's a benefit.

As do other teams. There is no benefit to being the most consistent side through the course of as season.

As do other teams. There is no benefit to being the most consistent side through the course of as season.

They also get the gimmick which is clubcall,where they in theory pick the weakest team to play.

They also get the gimmick which is clubcall,where they in theory pick the weakest team to play.

So in reality, it is a hinderance!

From a Wire fan who couldn't be there....

Fantastic evening of sport. I thought the pre match minute of applause was spot on. The atmosphere looked tremendous and came over wonderfully on the television.

Leeds had their game plan spot on and strangled the life out of the Wire attack. A fantastic, close game which until the last Leeds try could have gone either way. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Off to commiserate with myself with a gallon of rose wine.

Enjoy the party Loiners, you deserved it.

well said

Going to Catalans and then Wigan away in 2 weeks, beating both then beating a really good Wire team in the final. For me, no other team apart from this Leeds team could do that. Thats not a joke its just class from a world class team. thought Sinfield and Delaney were quality tonight.

No wonder we dont get any media coverage with Rugby League fans like they are, there has just been 80 minutes of awesome rugby League in front of 70,000 people and we still get people moaning about it.

Just enjoy it ffs!!!

totally agree..accentuate the positive

Late as usual! Cracking game, one of the best GFs in history for me - that it was in the balance until the last 8 mins is testament to that. Certainly one of the best GFs I've been to. We took one of my duaghters mates with us for her GF/RL debut and I warned her that it would be the noisiest sporting occaision that she'd ever experience and I was right! Atmosphere was absolutely superb and the fanzone was great again - even if there didn't seem to be any freebies. Also had to explain how it was allowed that a group of Leeds fans could happily sit in an area full of Warrington fans. My answer - "because its rugby league".

Saw a bit of trouble among the fans in the Wire end, but wouldn't call it a mass braw and seemed to be dealt with fairly quickly. Somewhat disappointed that the people behind me couldn't complete a sentence without effing & jeffing - its not big & its not clever. However, this was more that balanced by a very friendly collection of Leeds speccies sat directly in front of me.

As for the game as a whole I thought it had pretty much everything and (much as I hate to say it) you have to have some admiration for Leeds for the way they manage to turn it on for this game. Well done.

And finally....this game more than any other gave me a good idea where the RFL should look for their main sponsor for 2103. The suppliers of incontinence pants (Tena) would entirely appropriate - especially for the five blokes on our row who in & out of the loo every five minutes! If you're going to drink your own bodyweight in ale at least have the decency to hold it in / have a catheter fitted or wear a nappy!! Hmmmm the Tena Superleague.....it might just have legs!!

great game for the neutral - Leeds brilliant yet again, well played

Carl Ablett is one heck of a player - why doesn't he get the recognition ?

England selection...