Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

Who will win?   39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

296 posts in this topic

I think it was 1972-3 that Dewsbury won from 8th!

I bet they coasted all season too.

so should the number of teams in SL be reduced back to 12.

Someone on twitter earlier was saying we should drop to 8 teams!

On the atmosphere - I think it was generally positive, but it is easy to see that some people could have been quite intimidated.

My girlfriend has only been to a handful of games, she loved Wembley this year, but stated quite early on that the atmosphere was completely different and she didn't particularly like it in the pubs beforehand and hated it afterwards.

Despite Wire fans being completely outnumbered in Sam Platts before the match I thought the atmosphere stayed friendly enough, the Leeds fans were friendly enough. After the match I thought this changed, and we moved away from a group of fans who were intent on goading Wire fans - it turned out these were Widnes fans rather than Leeds. Luckily they headed off into town no doubt looking for trouble (after they had thrown pints all over a fair few people) and the atmosphere calmed down in there.

In the ground there were plenty of drunken people but nothing too bad, although I think a lot of it is down to luck on where you are sitting. We did see the trouble before the match in the Leeds end, although I certainly wouldn't describe it as a mass brawl. There were only actually a few stewards/police sorting this out and it seemed to be taken under control quickly.

Whilst I like the evening kick off, I would be supportive of a move to afternoon to try and retain that family atmosphere, unfortunately some people let the rest down, although I do think it was maybe 30-40 people overall out of a massive crowd. The problem is all it takes is a kid, or an elderly person to get innocently caught up and it becomes a bigger issue.

My girlfriend has only been to a handful of games, she loved Wembley this year, but stated quite early on that the atmosphere was completely different and she didn't particularly like it in the pubs beforehand and hated it afterwards.

Despite Wire fans being completely outnumbered in Sam Platts before the match I thought the atmosphere stayed friendly enough, the Leeds fans were friendly enough. After the match I thought this changed, and we moved away from a group of fans who were intent on goading Wire fans - it turned out these were Widnes fans rather than Leeds. Luckily they headed off into town no doubt looking for trouble (after they had thrown pints all over a fair few people) and the atmosphere calmed down in there.

I was in Sam Platts beforehand, it all seemed quite well spirited. Primarily, the Leeds fans were outside and in fine voice, inside was really quiet. It is an obvious place to go, such is it's proximity to Old Trafford, but I won't be visiting again, a little too congested for my liking.

I think it was 1972-3 that Dewsbury won from 8th!

And we then dropped play offs - concentrating our competitive football on the mediocre teams scrapping for relegation.

Coincidentally we haven't beaten the Australians in a match that counted since.

Can't complain about the result as we were largely second best for most of the game. Leeds played an excellent passing game and stopped us playing ours and looked dangerous almost every time they went forward. Going from 14-6 up to 18-14 down either side of half-time would have knocked the stuffing out of some teams but not this time. And whilst it's true that we were on the receiving end of several bizarre Silverwood decisions I don't believe it would have made any difference. Had we not dropped the ball with the tryline beckoning in the last few minutes then who knows what would have happened but that's just pointless speculation.

So I'll offer congratulations to Leeds who have superbly played the system again and were worthy winners of Saturday night's game.

If people feel that the SL championship is slightly devalued by Leeds winning from 5th two years running, surely the corollary of that is that the status of the league leaders at the end of the regular season is somewhat enhanced?

And isn't that perhaps a good thing?

If enough people are of the view that Leeds are merely the end-of-season knockout winners, and Wigan are the more worthy champions (I don't necessarily count myself in that group), then fan power alone should ensure that teams put enough emphasis on finishing top. And it would do no harm for the 'Bradford hub cap' to be treated as a genuine trophy of the same stature as the 'Grand Final Thingy' and the Challenge Cup.

So let's keep the current playoff system, and let's have 3 big trophies to play for every year.

Problem being IMO, that you cannot replicate the intensity of a GF if more importance has been given to the LLS.

Its the all or nothing nature of the game that makes it so good.

How you raise the status of coming top without lowering the GF is a tricky one.

I was stopped in the corridor at work today by someone who isn't an RL fan.

He said he had watched the Grand Final and what a great advert and sport it is.

He wants to go to a live game, he did compare the antics of footballers to Sinfield and his face was a picture when I told him about Wood.

How can we capitalise on this?

How can we capitalise on this?

We need to abandon the play offs and ensure Leigh can fight relegation every other year.

I've just finished watching the Grand Final on TV (because I went to the game) and, other than thinking what a marvelous sport we have and how well the whole event came across on TV, I couldn't help notice the lack of a penalty for the most obvious offside that I have ever seen.

IMG_1140.JPG

This was at a time when Warrington were desperate for a penalty, at the end of the game.

The ref must be struggling to see the PTB because of the off side players.

If I were a Warrington fan, I would have been livid! Reminded me of Joynt's voluntry tackle against Bradford - why are ref's reluctant to give obvious penalties towards the end of big games?

The ref the week before had been reluctant to give a penalty against Hall for lying on, but less reluctant to give one for offside against Farrell, so these things even out. :)

these things even out. :)

Yes,correct,he gave a knock on against Lunt when Goulding knocked the ball out and Lunt didn't lose control. :)

Did anyone see my Tweet on the big screen on Saturday? Someone messaged me to tell me. Was quite chuffed with that! :)

Havnt seen the game again, apologies if thios was discussed in the previous 14 pages but how did the disallowed Leeds try look? At first the commentators said forward then Carney said flat - which?

I watched the game on a big screen outside, irony of ironies, the Manchester City Supporters club bar in Buggiba, Malta and the picture cracked up a few times

Looked a bit forward to me on the replays. Not by a lot, though.

Leeds won with only one Aussie & one Kiwi, hopefully that goes some way to stop the constant urging for teams to sign Aussies.

I've just been watching SL Backchat from just after the Challenge Cup Final. Apparently, Leeds' problem is that they only had 2 overseas players in the squad and need to sign more Aussies if they want to win things!

I think the evening kick off is deliberate policy. It adds to the atmosphere especially when it is raining.

Just need a proper strategy to sort out the idiots.

I think the evening kick off is deliberate policy. It adds to the atmosphere especially when it is raining.

Just need a proper strategy to sort out the idiots.

Yes, I remember Maurice Lyndsay talking about the unique atmosphere the floodlit final brings, and I do agree. I think it differentiates the event from the Challenge Cup Final.

We probably just have to live with the fact that we will have drunk fans at the event - maybe family areas could be introduced which has a zero tolerance policy on alcohol.

It annoys me in those big games I.E GF and international games when the drunks have to persist in doing that mexican wave when poe are trying to watch the game