Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

Who will win?   39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

296 posts in this topic

... everyone's going but me, but I'll be fine; watch the match in 3D and have a curry night.

I'm not going either.

My mate has an album launch party the same night, but I'll be watching it in a pub in Leeds. Will be nice to watch with other fans around :)

The match will be very close, particularly during the first half but Warrington will likely pull away as they did against Saints, especially if they have good territory and a high set completion. I reckon the final score will be Warrington 28 - Leeds 10.

Cooper was the stand out PLAYER when he came onto the scene V Saints and did a decent stint in the other playoff match as well. Carvell can be good, he can also be very poor and is a bit of liability on too many occasions also.

Cooper would I believe be a safer bet and his exhuberance at Saints would cement him the selection for me.

Agreed. Carvell is undoubtedly a great assett and adds some strength to the warrington pack although he is unlikely to be 100% fit come Saturday. Cooper clearly had a point to prove against Saints and showed he is worthy of a place at Old Trafford.

Doesnt matter whether carvell or cooper starts....they'll no doubt interchange for impact at various stages

Agree Mike Cooper has played really well in the playoffs. Carvell, now fit, must play. Subs Morley, M Monaghan, Wood and Cooper. But this would be very harsh on McCarthy and especially Grix.

My Team

1. B Hodgson
  2. J Moans
  3. S Ratchford
  4. R Atkins
  5. C Riley
  6. L Briers
  7. R Myler
  8. C Hill
  9. M Higham
  10. G Carvell
  11. T Waterhouse
  12. B Westwood
  13. B Harrison
  14. M Monas
  15. S Girx
  16. M Cooper
  17. A Morley

That's my team - Morley lucky to be in it, but just gets my nod over Wood

Tyke McCarthy has been solid since july, but he's had two Wembley finals and I think TS will give Grix the nod as back to the backs!!!

I may be tempted to start Michael Monaghan, start all guns blazing.

I may be tempted to start Michael Monaghan, start all guns blazing.

Mickey Higham is having his best season for a long time - Monas is struggling with his knees.

Monas is doing a better job coming off the bench - But needs to up his game!!

Should be a good game and closer than the cup final with McGuire back. We will definately have more in attack anyway. Leeds have a knack of building week on week from the start of September and hitting their peak in the last 2 weeks of the playoffs. I think Saturday will be a low scoring game where both teams have to earn their points. I think wire have the better attack but Leeds the better defence at the moment.

I can't chose but I do think the winner will only be ahead by a couple at the hooter, maybe even GP. 14-12 either way IMO and good luck Wire fans. Enjoy your day. The Grand final atmosphere will be like nothing you've ever experienced for those who've never been. For me I take it over the cup any day.

The match will be very close, particularly during the first half but Warrington will likely pull away as they did against Saints, especially if they have good territory and a high set completion.

Almost word-for-word what I was going to post. I think we'll need to be on the very top of our game and not get stage fright.

Leeds are obviously used to this grand final malarkey, so its all about whether Wire can perform to the best of our ability. If we do, we've every chance of winning it.

I might just need sedating if we do.

Leeds's forward passes will be penalised! ;)

As long as they catch Briars knock ons as well that will do for me. ;-) :-)

Leeds rely on Sinfield to get them around the park and him, Burrow and McGuire to wreak havoc in attack to score points. At Wembley there was no McGuire and Wire looked after Sinny well. Last week Leeds barely looked like scoring without McGuire but Sinfield stood up again behind really solid pack men.

Without McGuire again it would be a Wire win no doubt for me. With him back, though, it's feeling mighty even.

Shame the GF couldn't have been between Wigan and Warrington at their best this year as that would have been awesome, but I still reckon it'll be a low scoring cracker.

Leeds rely on Sinfield to get them around the park and him, Burrow and McGuire to wreak havoc in attack to score points. At Wembley there was no McGuire and Wire looked after Sinny well. Last week Leeds barely looked like scoring without McGuire but Sinfield stood up again behind really solid pack men.

Without McGuire again it would be a Wire win no doubt for me. With him back, though, it's feeling mighty even.

Shame the GF couldn't have been between Wigan and Warrington at their best this year as that would have been awesome, but I still reckon it'll be a low scoring cracker.

Can't fault that logic. I wonder whether we will never see Wigan Wire in a major final with both at their best. By Saturday they could have won 8 out of 9 domestic trophies in the last 3 years without having properly locked horns (save possibly in last year's Cup quarter final?).

Warrington famously smashed Wigan in the semi final en route to winning their first trophy in decades in 2009.

That's true. For some reason that slipped my mind.

That's true. For some reason that slipped my mind.

It's never left mine! That was our real 'breakthrough' match, beating Wigan when it really mattered for the first time in living memory.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and call a Leeds win.

Yes, Wire have the league wins and cup final to draw confidence from but I think the occassion may get the better of them and Leeds have walked this path too many times before......Wire to choke whilst the golden trio (Sinfield/McGuire/Burrow) to shine as per.....

It's entirely possible mate. Hope not, obviously, but Leeds have been there and done it. The weight of expectation is on Wire and its ours to lose.

Btw, anyone know the official twitter hashtag?

(null)

I said in the semi-final thread that if Wire beat Saints they'd win the Grand Final, so I'm going to stick to that. I won't lie though, I kinda said that expecting them to be facing Wigan. On the one hand, Warrington's cup form against Leeds would seem to indicate that they're not afraid of Leeds in knock-out football, but then last year's semi is stuck in the back of my mind.

The closer the game is, the more Warrington have to fear Leeds and confront their own demons.

well i thought wigan would stuff the rhinos,how wrong was i,the weather forecast is dodgy and we all know leeds like a wet GF night,its a 50/50 for me,drop goal 79th minute would be nice :)

Weather forecast is dry for Saturday , unless Manchester has moved!

Sunny afternoon Saturday

Morally Wigan are champs but even though I'm from Yorkshire I'll go for Wires seen as they havn't started playing in the last 3 week.

Leeds have a great record in the GF, but 5th place in the league tells its own story (Leeds were definitely 2nd best in the GF last year until the injuries to Wellens and Shenton made a complete mess of the Saints team structure).

So it depends on whether we see the 'ordinary' Wire of the 1st half of the Saints game, or the unstoppable Wire of the 2nd half (the same unstoppable force that completely routed Saints and Wigan in successive games towards the end of the season).

It's not impossible for Leeds to edge it if Wire don't play to their best, but I have a feeling that we're going to see the unstoppable version. If Wire get on a roll early then it could be a big score.

No repeat for Leeds this year - Wire by 20!

Morally Wigan are champs but even though I'm from Yorkshire I'll go for Wires seen as they havn't started playing in the last 3 week.

That's a bit tough on Warrington. Everyone knows the rules before the start of the season, and Warrington learned last year that winning the league gives you nothing but the dubious club call "honour". As a result, this year Tony Smith did not have winning the league as a priority and rested players frequently throughout the season which resulted in the odd unexpected defeat (Salford, London etc). However in the big games he played a full strength team and this saw Warrington win the cup, and defeat Wigan at home and away, and qualify for the grand final. Wigan showed themselves to be the most consistent team throughout the season, but I dont think you can call them the moral champs or say they are the best team, given the context of Warrington's performances this season.

On the one hand, Warrington's cup form against Leeds would seem to indicate that they're not afraid of Leeds in knock-out football, but then last year's semi is stuck in the back of my mind.

The closer the game is, the more Warrington have to fear Leeds and confront their own demons.

I don't think last year's playoff semi will be too much concern for Warrington. It's not as if they massively choked. It was a tough, tight game and Leeds played very well to win, with the match ultimately decided by a controversial offside penalty decision at the behest of a touch judge - Warrington know that Leeds at the best will be very tough to beat, but I think they are also confident enough to know that if they play to their best, then they are the better team.

I do think that Leeds have an underlying confidence about this game that they didn't have for the Challenge Cup Final, and that certainly makes the match-up all the more intriguing. I can't wait.