Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

06/10/12 - SL Grand Final: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves

Who will win?   39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

296 posts in this topic

Morally Wigan are champs but even though I'm from Yorkshire I'll go for Wires seen as they havn't started playing in the last 3 week.

wigan knew the rules bfore the season started as did all other teams in the league so your point is wrong

So it depends on whether we see the 'ordinary' Wire of the 1st half of the Saints game, or the unstoppable Wire of the 2nd half (the same unstoppable force that completely routed Saints and Wigan in successive games towards the end of the season).

I think that this is slightly harsh on both teams tbh.

I thought Saints were excellent in that first half, and still pretty good in that 2nd.

I thought Wire were very good in the first half and brilliant in the 2nd. Despite Saints having all the territory in the 1st half, Wire still scored two nice slick tries, much the same as Saints. The only actual difference on the scoreboard was the try from the massive bomb that Hodgson fumbled.

We kept it tight in the 1st and did the hard work which allowed us to go and play some of the great RL with the ball when we got into field position, which was always going to happen at some point.

The difference between the 1st game against Saints and the 2nd game against them was impressive, and was possibly the most pleasing thing for us, we seemed to learn from our mistakes, and that’s all you can ask.

On Saturday it’s anybody’s game tbh. I do believe we are the better team, but then Wigan are also better than Leeds and over an 80 minute period anything can happen.

Just hope for a full house a great atmosphere and some great tries.

BBC weather is taken from the MET office......so quite trustworthy.....forecast on there is fine in mancsville for sat

BBC weather is taken from the MET office......so quite trustworthy.....forecast on there is fine in mancsville for sat

I've been burned by the met office enough over the years, I've moved to the Norwegian Meteorological Institute instead. They'd better do right by me this weekend!

I've always found the BBC forecasts to be terrible. Often they'll change a forecast throughout the day - I suspect they just look out of the window at the time!

I don't think last year's playoff semi will be too much concern for Warrington. It's not as if they massively choked. It was a tough, tight game and Leeds played very well to win, with the match ultimately decided by a controversial offside penalty decision at the behest of a touch judge -
Just to avoid any further revision of history - there was nothing controversial about that decision. He was clearly offside. Now if it had been a routine play it may have been considered harsh in the context of the game, although still fair enough. But by being offside Warrington closed down Sinfield who was in the process of aiming for the winning drop goal. The officials had no option but to give the penalty.

Turns out lil bro isn't going now. Shame, peace and quiet would have been nice!

And he's on standard definition, which is 1-2 seconds ahead of HD, and takes great revellry is shouting and cheering to spoil things!!

Fingers crossed the pub comes a calling for him.

That's a bit tough on Warrington. Everyone knows the rules before the start of the season, and Warrington learned last year that winning the league gives you nothing but the dubious club call "honour". As a result, this year Tony Smith did not have winning the league as a priority and rested players frequently throughout the season which resulted in the odd unexpected defeat (Salford, London etc). However in the big games he played a full strength team and this saw Warrington win the cup, and defeat Wigan at home and away, and qualify for the grand final. Wigan showed themselves to be the most consistent team throughout the season, but I dont think you can call them the moral champs or say they are the best team, given the context of Warrington's performances this season.

I don't think last year's playoff semi will be too much concern for Warrington. It's not as if they massively choked. It was a tough, tight game and Leeds played very well to win, with the match ultimately decided by a controversial offside penalty decision at the behest of a touch judge - Warrington know that Leeds at the best will be very tough to beat, but I think they are also confident enough to know that if they play to their best, then they are the better team.

I do think that Leeds have an underlying confidence about this game that they didn't have for the Challenge Cup Final, and that certainly makes the match-up all the more intriguing. I can't wait.

A couple of things. If you work on the basis that a team could have won the LLS had they been bothered, wouldn't we just swap places in the last couple of years, as Wigan were in the equal and opposite position to Wire this year, spreading their resources for Wembley?

I think "choke" or "bottle" are appalling and inaccurate words to use in the context of the players at the top end of our game (though terms beloved of a former Wire poster on here). What I think is relevant is the ability of people to draw upon good or bad experiences at times of stress. Leeds can clearly draw upon deep reserves of confidence, whereas Wire may have greater self doubt because they are newbies to this. Fwiw, given the experience of Hodgson, Monaghan and Morley as winners of a much bigger and more difficult Grand Final, even if the team have not been there they have enough in the brains trust to bring them home.

Leaving aside the psychological state of the respective teams, the single factor in this game is Sinfield's boot. Everything Leeds do at this time of year revolves around that. Find a way to pressure him/defuse his bombs (and Hodgson regularly drops kicks, so Wire will need to work around that) and Wire will be home and hosed.

It would be a wonderful thing for our game to see Wire as champions for the first time in nearly 60 years.

Morally Wigan are champs

Let's not start that again. :dry:

Just to avoid any further revision of history - there was nothing controversial about that decision. He was clearly offside.

I disagree - it was borderline at best and had the video ref been able to adjudicate would have come down to a frame-by-frame analysis.

Just to avoid any further revision of history - there was nothing controversial about that decision. He was clearly offside. Now if it had been a routine play it may have been considered harsh in the context of the game, although still fair enough. But by being offside Warrington closed down Sinfield who was in the process of aiming for the winning drop goal. The officials had no option but to give the penalty.

Without wanting to drag up old graves too much..we'll have to disagree over the offside. I was stood in line with Myler and thought he had been smart and got off his line fast as he had spotted Sinfield lining himself up (see vid below). Regardless, it is the sort of decision that had not been given once during the regular season, and it was a shame a cracking match was settled in this way - let's hope this week's game isn't decided on a marginal call like this

Morally Wigan are champs but even though I'm from Yorkshire I'll go for Wires seen as they havn't started playing in the last 3 week.

So if Warrington win on Saturday ,Wigan will still be moral champions?

The Leeds 19

2. Ben Jones-Bishop

3. Kallum Watkins

4. Zak Hardaker

5. Ryan Hall

6. Danny McGuire

7. Rob Burrow

8. Kylie Leuluai

10. Jamie Peacock

11. Jamie Jones-Buchanan

12. Carl Ablett

13. Kevin Sinfield ©

15. Brett Delaney

16. Ryan Bailey

17. Ian Kirke

18. Chris Clarkson

20. Darrell Griffin

21. Richard Moore

25. Stevie Ward

31. Shaun Lunt

Genuinely, hand on heart, Wigan's season like the other 11 teams not to make it to the final, is over.

I'd love one match, the last match, not to descend into a Wigan vs Warrington bitchfest.

TONY Smith has revealed his 19-man squad for the clash with Leeds Rhinos in Saturday night’s Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford.

It is the same 19 that was named for the semi-final against St Helens, for which game Garreth Carvell and Tyrone McCarthy missed out on the final 17.

Wolves 19: Ryan Atkins, Lee Briers, Garreth Carvell, Mike Cooper,Simon Grix, Ben Harrison, Micky Higham, Chris Hill, Brett Hodgson, Tyrone McCarthy, Joel Monaghan, Michael Monagahn, Adrian Morley, Richie Myler, Stefan Ratchford, Chris Riley, Trent Waterhouse, Ben Westwood, Paul Wood.

I'd love one match, the last match, not to descend into a Wigan vs Warrington bitchfest.

To be fair, in general the Wire and Wigan fans aren't really getting involved.

Looking like a sell-out may be on the cards.

Yesterday it was announced there were 7k tickets remaining, with Wire having 3k remaining. Wire have now confirmed they have fewer than 1k, meaning there are no more than 5k remaining.

Starting to get nerves now, really need to concentrate at work, may write this week off!

Got a feeling this might be Warrington's "Bradford 2001", and they'll blow Leeds of the park by half time. I genuinely hope not (although I would prefer Wire to win, going with a long time Warrington fan who I've been to loads of Grand Finals with, would be made up for him), but I just get the feeling Warrington have been building for this since September last year.

Anyway, I'll enjoy it whatever the outcome. Hope everyone here does too. :)

Genuinely, hand on heart, Wigan's season like the other 11 teams not to make it to the final, is over.

Me too. Where is that happening though? I'm right behind the Wire.

Yesterday it was announced there were 7k tickets remaining, with Wire having 3k remaining. Wire have now confirmed they have fewer than 1k, meaning there are no more than 5k remaining.

Starting to get nerves now, really need to concentrate at work, may write this week off!

I am guessing that this would be the first sell out for a while. Another reason why a new face in the final is a very good thing indeed.

What's interesting to note is that neither team seems to have any major injury problems, excluding perhaps Carvell (who might have played at 80% fitness if we didn't have so much quality back up) and O'Brien (who might not have got in the 17 anyway). I know Webb is out for Leeds but he too would probably not have been selected anyway.

Its either testimony to the clubs' fitness coaches; or to the rotation system that has seen both teams fielding quality youngsters all year; or both. Whatever the reasons, it's impressive that both teams are just about at full strength after a long season and gruelling play off games.

Can't wait.

Now the Wire!

Edited for stupidity - replied on the wrong thread. :(

Hope so, got an email from the RFL yesterday about tickets so they seem to be really pushing this to be a sell ou