Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Red Dwarf X

26 posts in this topic

It's the return of Red Dwarf tonight.

http://www.guardian....-smegging-goods

I'll be watching, hoping it's good, but fearing in advance that if it was any good, it would be on the Beeb, not Dave.

Fingers crossed.

Likewise. As much as I hope it turns out to be fantastic, I fear it will turn out to be garbage. Whilst I did get the odd laugh out of the "Back to Earth" they did a couple of years ago, by and large it was terrible. :(

I'm a big fan of comedy and a big fan of sci-fi, but for some reason I've never really taken to Red Dwarf. I was going to say maybe I'm too young for it, but I enjoy much older comedy and sci-fi so don't know what it is.

I'm a big fan of comedy and a big fan of sci-fi, but for some reason I've never really taken to Red Dwarf. I was going to say maybe I'm too young for it, but I enjoy much older comedy and sci-fi so don't know what it is.

I'm no sci-fi fan, but I just find that in general, there is some very clever writing in Red Dwarf, although the last couple of series did loose the plot a bit. Right sort of era for me though, I started watching it aroud series 3 or 4, and remember watching 7 & 8 in my student days.

My wife hates anything sci-fi, yet the few epoisodes she's seen, I've caught her laughing away to. :D

(Where) does Back to Earth fit in this extended time line?

Effectively, it was series 9. Having only seen it once, I can't remember where it was supposed to fit in timeline wise to the other series, but by the sounds of it, this new series sounds to have jumped forwards a fair bit. Needs to have really, to explain the characters aging.

Red Dwarf dropped completely off the radar when the brought back Kochanski. Enjoyed the books.

Effectively, it was series 9. Having only seen it once, I can't remember where it was supposed to fit in timeline wise to the other series, but by the sounds of it, this new series sounds to have jumped forwards a fair bit. Needs to have really, to explain the characters aging.

Red Dwarf has a timeline? It's had more reboots than a PC with Windows Vista on it. Previews of series X are cautiously optimistic. I shall watch ... nowt else on.

Worth a punt, I suppose. You never know...

I watched the first few series avidly and loved the writing, especially for Rimmer's character. Later series were more a case of "if nothing else is on, I'll give it a watch".

I suppose I must consider myself a fan. Watched it since the very first episode, and have the complete set on DVD, including the special outtakes (Smeg Ups).DVD brought out a few years ago (though I didn't buy this, my other half gave it me one Christmas, not a fan of those type of things personally).

Looking forward, as others are, with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation to this new series. Just hope they go back to the quality of the writing the achieved in the first 4 - 5 series. We shall see.

Red Dwarf dropped completely off the radar when the brought back Kochanski. Enjoyed the books.

The books were excellent. Better than life and the last human we're my favourites.

I'm a massive Red Dwarf fan, had all of the first six series on VHS and was the reason hay me and the missus got together. Haven't really watched them recently until Dave started rerunning the old series. You forget how good the writing was and how well sci-if can handle such subject matter. Can't wait.

Well that was far better than I feared. Some genuine LOL moments. Glad it's back.

Red Dwarf had one of the best jokes I have heard;

Lister: what was death like?

Rimmer: like holidaying with a group of Germans (delivered perfectly by Chris Barry)

Much better than expected that. I actually laughed - which I'm sure didn't happen on the last Dave series.

Not bad - the cast reckon there's better to come in this series.

More like meeting an old friend who you like, and finding they haven't changed.

Is it a moose? and Lister's rant about the phone complaint were the best bits.

Not bad - the cast reckon there's better to come in this series.

More like meeting an old friend who you like, and finding they haven't changed.

Is it a moose? and Lister's rant about the phone complaint were the best bits.

You could see it coming from the middle of last week, but it still made me laugh out loud.

I recently rewatched all the Red Dwarf on Netflix and really enjoyed them. Surprisingly, I liked series 7 and 8 which I didn't at the time. There was quite a gap between series 6 and 7 due to Craig Charles's prison sentence and series 7 was so highly anticipated that it didn't live up to the hype. I think I mistakenly have since presumed that series 7 was rubbish when it just wasn't as good.

My favourite line from the show is the first Polymorph episode,

"Well I say we get out there and tw*t it!"

Genuinely laugh out loud.

Red Dwarf has a timeline? It's had more reboots than a PC with Windows Vista on it. Previews of series X are cautiously optimistic. I shall watch ... nowt else on.

Ah, that's where I went wrong, I was trying to record Wilfred on BBC3 at the same time, when the reminder came on screen my other half cancelled one while I was in the shower, I went F****ing ballistic when I found out she had cancelled Red Dwarf so she could watch a CSI S41t.

I have spent today making it up to her, including the cooking of a 3 course meal tonight.

A few laugh out loud moments, but mainly just sat there enjoying it with a smile on my face, like being reunited with an old friend.

Really enjoyed it.

The moose joke had me giggling for quite a while after and still makes me grin. (This guy? Was he Swedish? Its a moose!)

Finally got round to watching the new episode on Sky+ over the weekend.

Pleased to say I really enjoyed it. :)

Far superior to the last attempted reboot on Dave, and much more in keeping with the old BBC version.

I laughed out loud several times. Always a good sign when watching a comedy show! :D

Much better than I expected, and thankfully more like proper RD from series 1-5 than 6-8 or RTE. The moose thing was obvious but brilliantly done, but the pole vault joke and hat joke were proper laugh out loud moments.

Missed most of it, but the bits I saw were encouraging. Like slipping on a familiar pair of comfy shoes. :)

Missed most of it, but the bits I saw were encouraging. Like slipping on a familiar pair of comfy shoes. :)

I got round to watching it on Friday evening. My views pretty much match yours; hopefully the rest of the series will at least match the opening effort. :)