Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazza77

More competition for DSL

36 posts in this topic

Eagles have worked hard at raising their profile this year. It would need that effort to be turned into actual footfall for any application to be considered seriously. They probably tick all the other proverbial boxes.

The more, the better to me. Shows the Championship is a good strong competition, and the more teams that resist the SL "link ups" that are being announced, the better.

Good luck to them. Does the Don Valley meet the criteria?

Yes, we're having opera glasses put on the back of the seats.

Yes, we're having opera glasses put on the back of the seats.

This is encouraging news.

Eagles have worked hard at raising their profile this year. It would need that effort to be turned into actual footfall for any application to be considered seriously. They probably tick all the other proverbial boxes.

good to see that you don't show the same concerns foe the eagles in s/l that you do for fev.

More chance of platting fog, sheffield people are not interested in supporting a rugby team, 13 years and still a poor poor show of fans. NO money backer, they have a team now they believe could compete in SL, don't talk bloody wet, without heavy investment in a FT squad your just cannon fodder at best.

Looks like there may now be 4 clubs applying to join SL in 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/19842714

Doesn't it look more and more that the new leaders of RL are considering two SL's? I think there is more going on behind the scenes than we know about. Four teams applying two bottom clubs in SL - we have six team ready for SL2. What do you think is this the way things are going?

good to see that you don't show the same concerns foe the eagles in s/l that you do for fev.

Absolutely not. Because we won't be in it.

Doesn't it look more and more that the new leaders of RL are considering two SL's? I think there is more going on behind the scenes than we know about. Four teams applying two bottom clubs in SL - we have six team ready for SL2. What do you think is this the way things are going?

I would of said your right but i doubt it very much now with the RFL getting what they want with the clubs in our league teaming up with SL teams.Why would they need/want a SL2 with this happening? But on the other hand i dont see any team that finished in our top 6 teaming up with any1 so you have six teams their to enter SL2 even if some clubs dont want SL it does'nt mean they cant play in SL2 does it?

How is having a two division $uperleague any different to a one division $uperleague with a Championship underneath ? :huh:

It's not the competition structure that's the problem.

What needs addressing is the huge gulf in finances between the top tier and the next tier.

And, to a lesser extent, tiers two and three.

How is having a two division $uperleague any different to a one division $uperleague with a Championship underneath ? :huh:

What needs addressing is the huge gulf in finances between the top tier and the next tier.

agree

I always talk sense.

I don't always say what people want to hear.

Or believe.

;)

As I understand it the proposition was movement between SL1 and SL2 with a better distribution of fin ances to make all teams competitive. Structually you are correct but financially and movement probably not. This idea has had quite a bit of publicity in the RL magazines so don't write it off yet.

I haven't written it off.

I'm just saying that the finance is what needs addressing.

I haven't written it off.

I'm just saying that the finance is what needs addressing.

And Griff if the idea that is being mooted comes off then to a great extent finances will be addressed.

Not the best solution in the world but much better than the existing arrangements.

There's no suggestion of that from what I've seen.

All that's being proposed is some sort of twenty team, two division $uperleague. I've seen no mention of finances being equalised in any way.

The problem with reducing any club's sponsorship cut is that it makes it difficult for clubs to manage their existing contract commitments to players contracted beyond the current season. I would see difficulties in reducing sponsorship to the top ten in order to finance a second $uperleague division of ten. - if any meaningful closure of the gap were to be made.

Just my opinion, obviously. But I have thought about it.

Taking into account the language that is coming from certain clubs and players in the SL, I would hazard a guess that the years 2014/5 could see a reduction in the number of teams in that division, never mind promoting four to the division.

Sorry, but the Championship does not, at the moment, have the finances for clubs to consider leaping into the SL. It is not the be all and end all of rugby in our current financial climate and is certainly not worth the risk of being dragged down into the mire, a la Bradford.

There's no suggestion of that from what I've seen.

All that's being proposed is some sort of twenty team, two division $uperleague. I've seen no mention of finances being equalised in any way.

The problem with reducing any club's sponsorship cut is that it makes it difficult for clubs to manage their existing contract commitments to players contracted beyond the current season. I would see difficulties in reducing sponsorship to the top ten in order to finance a second $uperleague division of ten. - if any meaningful closure of the gap were to be made.

Just my opinion, obviously. But I have thought about it.

I feel that it's the name "Super League" and the lack of media attention that's just as devisive, especially for Sheffield. How much TV coverage have you received compared to the Rhinos, especially on Calendar and Look North? The RFL could try to address this but they prefer it that way. They don't want publicity for Fax and Fev, they want their supporters to desert them in favour of Cas, Wakey and Bradford. Personally I feel that Sheffield is still a development area and I'd rather see them in SL than a 2nd London club, but how many former RL fans that got kicked in the teeth with the Shuddersfield fiasco would come back? Sheffield have probably got more aggrieved erstwhile fans than Fev!

I think you have to take all that in the context of RL being a minority sport.

Your top $uperleague sides only get similar gates to Championship soccer sides.

Your run-of-the-mill sides are probably on a par with Div 3 (or whatever it is these days).