Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BBR

Bolton

mmp    155

as it happens...Bolton School have hosted a Yr 7 qualification Rd. today for Champion Schools.

StixRooster    12

I think Yorkshire was almost all Rugby prior to the split with the exception of the Sheffield area which played a version of soccer. I think it might have been called Sheffield rules or some such.

Sheffield was where the round ball game started with Sheffield FC, formed in 1857. They wrote the first rule book and it went for an absolute fortune at auction recently, securing the long term future of the club.

They played Hallam FC tonight in the world's oldest derby of any football code, first played in 1860.

Think that answers why Sheffield went with the round ball!

Ex-Kirkholt    19

i've been actively looking at a broad range of facility options for some months but we can't jump to significantly better facilities in my view without it being a significant liability on the club. it's OK building something, but maintaining it and investing in it over time is the issue and we'll need to have a larger base in terms of sides and players to support that. our approach in setting up teams is to do so at as low a cost as possible to encourage participation - this year, we charged £1 per session, and no regsitration fee to join our new U9s and U11s - we'll change that next year but we still wouldnt have enough of a bse to fullr run a facility dedictaed to just us. So...to have sustainable growth, we'll need to slowly develop our infrastructures. and if anyone reading this is remotely interested - email contact@burybroncos.co.uk as to grow more we need more coaches and more support volunteers. We're running a primary school festival today for Yr 4/5 - the Yr 5 kids can play in an existing team but the younger ones will qualify as U8s next year which = a new team if there are enough interested and that'll mean new coaches and volunteers again.

Great to hear.

Keep up the good work.

stewpot01    16

The other Yorkshire soccer clubs were part of a football league expansion movement including Leeds City, the forerunner of Leeds United. Rugby was weakened in it s attempts to counteract this soccer expansion by the division of the great split.

It's amazing to think that Leeds once had seven teams in the city. Holbeck played at what became Elland road and folded when they found it was no longer financially viable to carry on.

There was also Leeds Parish Church, they played on Clarence Road for those of us who know that area - I suspect they would have been great rivals to Hunslet.

Along with these three were Wortley, Bramley, Kirkstall and Leeds St John's (who became Leeds RL).

keighley    579

It's amazing to think that Leeds once had seven teams in the city. Holbeck played at what became Elland road and folded when they found it was no longer financially viable to carry on.

There was also Leeds Parish Church, they played on Clarence Road for those of us who know that area - I suspect they would have been great rivals to Hunslet.

Along with these three were Wortley, Bramley, Kirkstall and Leeds St John's (who became Leeds RL).

There are chapters in various books and articles but Leeds Parish Church were once the dominant force in Rl in Leeds, way bigger than the Headingley club. They drew a couple of 20,000 crowds. They were, as their name suggests, affiliated with the C of E and were shut down by a RU loving vicar or bishop or some such. They virtually disappeared overnight. I guess that helped the soccer as Elland Road is just around the corner from the Parish Church area.

stewpot01    16

There are chapters in various books and articles but Leeds Parish Church were once the dominant force in Rl in Leeds, way bigger than the Headingley club. They drew a couple of 20,000 crowds. They were, as their name suggests, affiliated with the C of E and were shut down by a RU loving vicar or bishop or some such. They virtually disappeared overnight. I guess that helped the soccer as Elland Road is just around the corner from the Parish Church area.

Not really. The Leeds Parish Church is close by to the bus station and where they played was around the area of the Royal armories (I grew up in Hunslet and know the area extremely well) and it is not really that close to ER (in fact Wortley would have been closer to Holbeck in some respects) and would have been closer to Parkisde.

Many of the players in the early days were Jewish who were frowned upon by their faith for breaking their Shabbat.

It would be interesting if I could find out where on Clarence Road they played but the redevelopment of the area these past few decades may well have put and end to such a matter.

keighley    579

Not really. The Leeds Parish Church is close by to the bus station and where they played was around the area of the Royal armories (I grew up in Hunslet and know the area extremely well) and it is not really that close to ER (in fact Wortley would have been closer to Holbeck in some respects) and would have been closer to Parkisde.

Many of the players in the early days were Jewish who were frowned upon by their faith for breaking their Shabbat.

It would be interesting if I could find out where on Clarence Road they played but the redevelopment of the area these past few decades may well have put and end to such a matter.

I yield to your knowledge of the geography of Leeds, but even so, Elland Road is not that far away, is it.

On the grounds location. From what I have read, it was in an area called Crown Point and I am sure I have heard that this was on an island in the river or canal in that area. I think they might have had a nickname simething like :" T. lads from over T bridge" because of that.

stewpot01    16

I yield to your knowledge of the geography of Leeds, but even so, Elland Road is not that far away, is it.

On the grounds location. From what I have read, it was in an area called Crown Point and I am sure I have heard that this was on an island in the river or canal in that area. I think they might have had a nickname simething like :" T. lads from over T bridge" because of that.

I agree ER is not that far away but your theory on Crown Point is an interesting one. Crown point road still exists, it's close by to the now defunct Tetley's brewery, and there is a small estate there which has some retail companies on site.

" T. lads from over T bridge" would not be out of place. the Leeds bridge was seen as something of a barrier between north and south Leeds - the 'south' been a more industrial area. I heard my late grandfather speak of it in terms of rugby, it was almost a given that you would support or play for Hunslet (and earlier LPC) if you were born south of the river and anything else was unthinkable. I had a great uncle (George Dennis) who was approached by Leeds & Hunslet and am told that his father almost came to blows with him when he was undecided (he did of course sign for Hunslet).

I am not too sure of an 'island' in that area (I don't have maps going back that far) and it does say Clarence road from what I have read. The area along there would certainly have been big enough to have accommodated a rugby ground.

The Parksider    1,051

I am not too sure of an 'island' in that area (I don't have maps going back that far) and it does say Clarence road from what I have read. The area along there would certainly have been big enough to have accommodated a rugby ground.

Go onto Old maps and bring up a map for Leeds from the time. Along Clarence road between the river and the road is "football ground" later it's a timber yard. The ground was narrow, and someone else property so it's loss contributed to the clubs downfall.

Go up and across on the 1900's map to east leeds and you'll find the ground of Saville Green who giant killed Bramley in the NU cup.

stewpot01    16

Go onto Old maps and bring up a map for Leeds from the time. Along Clarence road between the river and the road is "football ground" later it's a timber yard. The ground was narrow, and someone else property so it's loss contributed to the clubs downfall.

Go up and across on the 1900's map to east leeds and you'll find the ground of Saville Green who giant killed Bramley in the NU cup.

Thanks Parky. I found the timber yard, also there was a recreation ground opposite the chemical works. my grandparents had friends living on that road in the 60's. The factory's where the timber yard stood are still there, the rest of the road [ what had been the chem works and later where the houses stood] towards South Accommodation road are now industrial units, while the ground opposite (where the rec was) is still derelict - I cannot remember what was there in the 60's.

Closest club to there now must be East Leeds up at Richmond Hill, I can't think of any closer. The amount of development in that area since I left in the 90s is phenomenal, it's like Crown Point Bridge has been transplanted to a new city. Now the brewery's closed, I suppose the area's ripe for a new round of renewal whenever anyone gets some money to hand.

stewpot01    16

Closest club to there now must be East Leeds up at Richmond Hill, I can't think of any closer. The amount of development in that area since I left in the 90s is phenomenal, it's like Crown Point Bridge has been transplanted to a new city. Now the brewery's closed, I suppose the area's ripe for a new round of renewal whenever anyone gets some money to hand.

Yes they are, and doing well ATM. They have always had good teams, especially in their junior set up.(I used to like refereeing there).

In the past the Garden Gate, Brassmoulders and Station all had good teams too. Mick Shoebottom was coaching one of the two latter a few years back [memory prevents me from remembering exactly which one]. I remember chatting with him, a very decent bloke.

keighley    579

I meant to look up the Leeds PC ground in Trevor Delaneys book " the Grounds of Rugby league". I think that is where I read the bit about the ground being on an island. If I recall, the timber yard was also mentioned. I will check it out when I get back home and post what information is actually in the book.

stewpot01    16

I meant to look up the Leeds PC ground in Trevor Delaneys book " the Grounds of Rugby league". I think that is where I read the bit about the ground being on an island. If I recall, the timber yard was also mentioned. I will check it out when I get back home and post what information is actually in the book.

Thanks keighley, that's much appreciated :)

Yes they are, and doing well ATM. They have always had good teams, especially in their junior set up.(I used to like refereeing there).

In the past the Garden Gate, Brassmoulders and Station all had good teams too. Mick Shoebottom was coaching one of the two latter a few years back [memory prevents me from remembering exactly which one]. I remember chatting with him, a very decent bloke.

Bet you didn't referee the under-18s in the mid-90s then, we were a bunch of arseholes... :)

stewpot01    16

Bet you didn't referee the under-18s in the mid-90s then, we were a bunch of arseholes... :)

I refereed in the mid-late 80's, I moved to Bradford and joined their society and had to pack it in by '92 because my ankle was shot. Also remember the twins who went on to briefly play for Leeds -they were under 13's when I was officiating. I was in the middle for the U13 final at Bus Vale between them and Middleton. The U18's always had great battles with Middleton, got quite tasty sometimes :lol:

I was always made welcome there, refereed the Black Dog as well.

I refereed in the mid-late 80's, I moved to Bradford and joined their society and had to pack it in by '92 because my ankle was shot. Also remember the twins who went on to briefly play for Leeds -they were under 13's when I was officiating. I was in the middle for the U13 final at Bus Vale between them and Middleton. The U18's always had great battles with Middleton, got quite tasty sometimes :lol:

I was always made welcome there, refereed the Black Dog as well.

We probably crossed paths then, one of the twins put me in for my first ever try in the U-11s. I certainly remember propping against Middleton when they had a very big number 10 in the juniors, I might even have played in that final, we certainly won a few L&D cups in our time! I was a year younger so I alternated between playing with the twins and others in one year, and the likes of Leroy Rivett and Rob Roberts in the younger set. We had a hell of a good generation there, and McGuire and Mathers weren't too far behind either.

I take it you'll remember Ron Tinker? One of the more memorable refs around Leeds. Bill Fiddes also springs to mind, although he was a bit old to have reffed me!

stewpot01    16

We probably crossed paths then, one of the twins put me in for my first ever try in the U-11s. I certainly remember propping against Middleton when they had a very big number 10 in the juniors, I might even have played in that final, we certainly won a few L&D cups in our time! I was a year younger so I alternated between playing with the twins and others in one year, and the likes of Leroy Rivett and Rob Roberts in the younger set. We had a hell of a good generation there, and McGuire and Mathers weren't too far behind either.

I take it you'll remember Ron Tinker? One of the more memorable refs around Leeds. Bill Fiddes also springs to mind, although he was a bit old to have reffed me!

In that case we certainly will have. the final was either 86 or 87 (lost my medals when we moved) I refereed the under 11's as well. that big number 10, he was the difference for them in a lot of games, it normally took 5 or 6 kids just to tackle him, in which time he offloaded to a colleague and it was usually a try. I remember them playing Pudsey, Middleton were 76-0 by HT and both coaches asked me to blow up for FT after 50 mins so as not embarrass the Pudsey youngsters. To me at least it gave them something of an unfair advantage - he did sign for Bradford but I think they released him after just 1 season.

I suspect you will have also come up against Jason Robinson when he was at Hunslet (was it Parkside or BC?)

I remember Ron. Bill was a wonderful man, and it was a shock when he died while still in his 50's as he was one of the fittest refs around, I ran the line for him at BV in the under 18 final - it could well have been your lads and Middleton - it usually was.

My other refereeing colleagues at that time were Terry Ambler, Peter Caine (ex Bradford Northern), Grahame Wheatley and Kevin Dockray (they were the ones I worked mostly with).

It was certainly some of the happiest times I had involved with the game and in many ways wish I still was.

Who was the guy in charge at EL? i can see him now, nice bloke who was heavily involved with the amateur game.

In that case we certainly will have. the final was either 86 or 87 (lost my medals when we moved) I refereed the under 11's as well. that big number 10, he was the difference for them in a lot of games, it normally took 5 or 6 kids just to tackle him, in which time he offloaded to a colleague and it was usually a try. I remember them playing Pudsey, Middleton were 76-0 by HT and both coaches asked me to blow up for FT after 50 mins so as not embarrass the Pudsey youngsters. To me at least it gave them something of an unfair advantage - he did sign for Bradford but I think they released him after just 1 season.

I suspect you will have also come up against Jason Robinson when he was at Hunslet (was it Parkside or BC?)

I remember Ron. Bill was a wonderful man, and it was a shock when he died while still in his 50's as he was one of the fittest refs around, I ran the line for him at BV in the under 18 final - it could well have been your lads and Middleton - it usually was.

My other refereeing colleagues at that time were Terry Ambler, Peter Caine (ex Bradford Northern), Grahame Wheatley and Kevin Dockray (they were the ones I worked mostly with).

It was certainly some of the happiest times I had involved with the game and in many ways wish I still was.

Who was the guy in charge at EL? i can see him now, nice bloke who was heavily involved with the amateur game.

The last two names you mentioned ring bells.

Rod Keeligan was the chairman during my time, Mally Waite I think asked my dad if I wanted to play, that's what got me going along, I get the impression he was quite well known on the scene too. We were coached by a few people over the years, often Dennis Gibbons, (the twins' dad), plus the Paul Volante/Keith Smith dream team, although they were more with the younger team.

I (un?)luckily missed playing Billy Whizz, he was two years older.

stewpot01    16

The last two names you mentioned ring bells.

Rod Keeligan was the chairman during my time, Mally Waite I think asked my dad if I wanted to play, that's what got me going along, I get the impression he was quite well known on the scene too. We were coached by a few people over the years, often Dennis Gibbons, (the twins' dad), plus the Paul Volante/Keith Smith dream team, although they were more with the younger team.

I (un?)luckily missed playing Billy Whizz, he was two years older.

Rod Keeligan, that's him. Was very knowledgeable Dennis was a nice man, i bet he was so proud when the twins turned out for Leeds - he always said they would play for them. It's a good few years since I saw him, he used to have a stall on Leeds market, don't know if he still does? Mally's name rings a bell.

The Parksider    1,051

Bill was my wifes uncle. He got me reffing although I didn't doo it for long. Bus Vale festival was enjoyable. His proudest moment was running a Wembley Line I think 1979 Wakey/Widnes?

Howard Josephson was the L & D referees secretary?? Frank Robinson of Pudsey made it to reffing the pro game?? i do remember Kevin Dockray hefty blond haired lad?

stewpot01    16

Bill was my wifes uncle. He got me reffing although I didn't doo it for long. Bus Vale festival was enjoyable. His proudest moment was running a Wembley Line I think 1979 Wakey/Widnes?

Howard Josephson was the L & D referees secretary?? Frank Robinson of Pudsey made it to reffing the pro game?? i do remember Kevin Dockray hefty blond haired lad?

I remember that Graham Wheatley was secretary (he was later made chairman or president), not Howard. What year are you talking about? Alan Turner was also something to do with that as it was he I contacted when I first got involved on the reffing side in late '85.

Frank got to grade 2, as did Geoff Croft in later years.

Howard was in the papers last year, he traveled all the way from Leeds to London using his free bus pass (it took him about two weeks).

Kevin had the Dalesman pub at Butcher Hill. Ray Tenant was also involved with us. John Holdsworth was attached to us but never attended any meetings - there was always a little bit of controversy surrounding that.

The other referees I remember along with those I have mentioned previously are:

1. Keith Robinson (great sense of humor, moved to London when his firm moved there)
  2. Mick (cannot remember his surname, he was a bus driver)
  3. Carl Leach
  4. Julie (she was a nurse)
  5. Russ Vickers (Postman)
  6. Keith Reid (I used to get my shirts from him)
  7. Alan Picket (my first game was running the line for him)
  8. Nigel Killick (he moved to Bradford around the same time as me)
  9. Terry Ambler (I did a few games with him, first one to visit me when I fractured my ankle)
  10. Peter Cain (Peter was an ex pro and a lovely guy as well)
  11. Dave Mitchell (remember us doing Hull KR colts v Sheffield and there was a mass brawl)
  12. John Barrowclough (ran the line for me in the U13 cup final)

There are some others who's names I don't remember but can still see their faces. The lad who who was a DJ. Then there was one lad, I think he was a rep, always dressed immaculate.

My apologies to anyone else for not remembering their names.

keighley    579

Re Leeds Parish Church.

I guess i was wrong am the island for the ground. I guess I looked at the map and saw the peninsula in the canal by Cclarence street and concluded the ground was there.

The following is what Trevor Delaney said in his book "The Grounds of Rugby League" in the chapter on defunct clubs

" Formed circa 1874-79 as a section of the church recreation club, " "T" lads owert t'bridge" played at Clarence Field, Crown Point, over Crown Point Bridge between the tow path of the Aire-Calder navigation and Clarendon Road just beyond Leeds locks. Bounded by a high wooden fence there were grandstands on each touchline. The record attendance for the ground of 20,000 was set against Runcorn in the 1900 Challenge Cup.......Beyond the far goal was a timber yard which is still there. The site, with cricket fields, which ran at right angles to the rugby field, is today industrial premises "

The book was published in 1991 so things may have changed at the site since then. I note the wording of Clarendon Road rather than Clarence Street. Is this relevant?

I hope, with your local knowledge, you can figure out exactly where it was.