Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Omen

Kevin Sinfield

150 posts in this topic

interesting .

would love to see ryan bailey as captain myself.

Pointless,he does what he wants ;)

interesting .

would love to see ryan bailey as captain myself.

Illogical.

Pointless,he does what he wants ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and kirke was serious ?

FFS.

Beam me up.

why not play him at hooker which is were he looked most effective playing for england . in reality theres nothing to stop him playing at standoff and widdop playing loose forward with oloughlin in the 2nd row as all positions are interchangable these days with the possible exception of wingers

Because James Roby is one of the best players in the league and the world. Sinfield won't ever displace him other than to spell him, which would defeat the point of having him in the team as he's supposed to provide leadership. How can he do that if he's not on the pitch half the time?

what is not to admire, respect and indeed like about Sinfield as a player and as an ambassador for our sport.? I just wonder where peoples' minds ared at sometimes. Thank you Clare Balding for telling the truth.

Just seen a bit of Match of The Day.

You want a laughing stock or joke? Try Suarez or any number of PL 'stars'. A disgrace to his sport and he should be made to watch a video of Sinfield (and Paul Wood!!) in the GF until he realises what being physical really means.

Sinfield - really good club level player, woefully exposed at International level and not able to turn it on every time it counts (like CC Finals), nowhere near in the same class as Farrell, Sculthorpe or Peacock

Sinfield - really good club level player, woefully exposed at International level and not able to turn it on every time it counts (like CC Finals), nowhere near in the same class as Farrell, Sculthorpe or Peacock

are you saying he couldn't and didn't 'turn it on' in Saturday's GF? If so we must have been watching different games.

i have watched some of the greatest loose forwards ever to play the game, rocky turner, vinty karalius, jonny raper, mick adams, farrell and sculthorpe , sorry but sinfield is decidedly average when compared to these guys.

i have watched some of the greatest loose forwards ever to play the game, rocky turner, vinty karalius, jonny raper, mick adams, farrell and sculthorpe , sorry but sinfield is decidedly average when compared to these guys.

I don't think anyone (including KS) has claimed him to be the best LF, SO, passer, tackler etc, but he is very good, and can inspire those around him.

Internationally, he should either be captain of England or out of the team, to be honest

Sinfield may not be quite the player that Sculthorpe and Faz were, but his leadership is top-notch, as is the respect he commands from his team-mates and peers. Clare Balding's assessment of him on the BBC highlights was remarkable, considering her Summer of Olympics and Paralympics.

As for international performances, he hasn't exactly been the sole reason for GB/England's failures, has he?

Internationally, he should either be captain of England or out of the team, to be honest

I think I agree with this. As an individual player he clearly isn't as talented as the likes of Paul Sculthorpe. But as a captain, and a leader of men, he clearly has an incredible aptitude. Putting him in the England team as "just another player" hasn't worked as there are better runners/tacklers/passers than him in each of Hooker, Stand-off or Loose Forward.

Always been a fan of Kevin Sinfield's selfless work-ethic, but he was imperious on Saturday. Seldom seen a player dictate a game so assuredly. Whenever he wanted something to happen, he made it happen. And when there was nothing on, he put himself into positions to create opportunities. He was pretty courageous too, took a battering that would've had soccer players demanding the air ambulance, but got up, got on and won Leeds the game.

I went as a complete neutral, head thinking Leeds, heart hoping Wire, but Sinfield kept going where Lee Briers faded badly and that was the difference between the sides for me (I'm also a big fan of his frankly bonkers kicking technique).

As a slight aside, Kevin's brother Ian was Hornets' captain for 2 years and has exactly the same controlled, disciplined attitude.

Always been a fan of Kevin Sinfield's selfless work-ethic, but he was imperious on Saturday. Seldom seen a player dictate a game so assuredly. Whenever he wanted something to happen, he made it happen. And when there was nothing on, he put himself into positions to create opportunities. He was pretty courageous too, took a battering that would've had soccer players demanding the air ambulance, but got up, got on and won Leeds the game.

I went as a complete neutral, head thinking Leeds, heart hoping Wire, but Sinfield kept going where Lee Briers faded badly and that was the difference between the sides for me (I'm also a big fan of his frankly bonkers kicking technique).

As a slight aside, Kevin's brother Ian was Hornets' captain for 2 years and has exactly the same controlled, disciplined attitude.

that's the way I saw it

In the International games you have to check your team sheets in the programme to make sure hes on the field.

Here in lies the difference between Sinfield and the great players of our game. He can do it in SL but can't do it at International level. The likes of Lockyer, Thurston, Cronk, Marshall etc. could / can dictate a game and make things happen at any level.

Here in lies the difference between Sinfield and the great players of our game. He can do it in SL but can't do it at International level. The likes of Lockyer, Thurston, Cronk, Marshall etc. could / can dictate a game and make things happen at any level.

Put Thurston in the England team and see if he dictates a match against the Kangaroos.

I do sort of agree with your point though btw! He can only be compared to other England players though who have done better than him.

It's been a long time since England/GB had any player who could dictate a game.

Surely his ability to dominate the UK game's showpiece match between the best sides in the country make him the best we have at dictating a game. So if he's not able to do it at international level, who is? And who has been for the last 20 years.

Yes, Australia are blessed with a surfeit of great players, but Sinfield is amongst the best we have and should be recognised for what he can do rather then where people feel he's somehow lacking.

Put Thurston in the England team and see if he dictates a match against the Kangaroos.

I do sort of agree with your point though btw! He can only be compared to other England players though who have done better than him.

I actually think Thurston could. More often than not the England / GB forwards have been more than able to match the Roos & Kiwi's and build a platform for the backs but its our lack of skill in the backs (particularly the halves) that prevented us from winning games.