Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Omen

Kevin Sinfield

150 posts in this topic

I'd replace McNamara with Sinfield.

Not a bad idea

At least a team picked by Sinny would be made up of English players, mainly in the right order, with half a clue who each other was

And he probably wouldnt talk to them in a cod Aussie accent

Inferior?now come on

Offer me an Andy Farrell at his peak or a Kevin Sinfield at his peak and I'd take Faz every time, he was quite simply a better all round player in my view. That is no slight on Sinfield and shouldn't be seen as such.

Inferior individual? Are you on drugs or something...he controls the game, not just with his verbal guidance but his brilliance with ball in hand.

Being an inferior player to Farrell isn't a slight on Sinfield - Faz was just more physically dominant, defensively strong, controlled games to at least an equal extent and more consistently. What he didn't have for the second half of his Wigan career was the depth of talent that Leeds have had under Sinfield's tenure. Kev is a great leader, but it's not like McGuire, Peacock, Burrow, etc haven't played as big or bigger part in other GF successes.

As for the reference to drugs - unnecessary in an open debate, but I'll let it slide on this occasion.

Offer me an Andy Farrell at his peak or a Kevin Sinfield at his peak and I'd take Faz every time, he was quite simply a better all round player in my view. That is no slight on Sinfield and shouldn't be seen as such.

I dont think the word "inferior is appropriate.You see it means something cheap and shoddy and c--p,and Kevin Sinfield is definately not that.

I dont think the word "inferior is appropriate.You see it means something cheap and shoddy and c--p,and Kevin Sinfield is definately not that.

in·fe·ri·or/inˈfi(ə)rēər/

Adjective:

Lower in rank, status, or quality.

Noun:

A person lower than another in status or ability.

I'd say it was a pretty appropriate term to use. And accurate. Just because you've misinterpreted it doesn't mean it's inappropriate.

in·fe·ri·or/inˈfi(ə)rēər/

Adjective:

Lower in rank, status, or quality.

Noun:

A person lower than another in status or ability.

I'd say it was a pretty appropriate term to use. And accurate. Just because you've misinterpreted it doesn't mean it's inappropriate.

I don't know whether it was misinterpretation or just general dummy spitting. Quite a few Leeds fans have demonstrated an astounding degree of entitlement and persecution complex over the last week since the team's recent success. Seems it isn't just Wigan fans like BoaB that can have paranoid outbursts and delusions of grandeur in equal measure. Objective opinions regarding Sinfield based on a decade or more of performances, not clouded by one admittedly excellent performance are not the order of day clearly. Great leader of men, far from best player of his era though.

I don't know whether it was misinterpretation or just general dummy spitting. Quite a few Leeds fans have demonstrated an astounding degree of entitlement and persecution complex over the last week since the team's recent success. Seems it isn't just Wigan fans like BoaB that can have paranoid outbursts and delusions of grandeur in equal measure. Objective opinions regarding Sinfield based on a decade or more of performances, not clouded by one admittedly excellent performance are not the order of day clearly. Great leader of men, far from best player of his era though.

Agree.

Leeds have oh been dominant in one competition, and that's the play offs.

I held you up as one of the exceptions of Wiganers from what we read on rlfans,but it seems you cant get away from that insular town mentality that seems to pervade from their.no comment about the other mush above.

jeez ##### fest or what.

Cant do a poll but given the choice of Farrel,Sculthorpe or Sinfield in their prime,Sinfield would come 3rd,thats not knocking Sinfield in anyway,but Farrel and Sculthorpe also did it against better class foriegners compared to the recent batch.

Sinfield is not liked because he plays for Leeds.As was Lewis Jones

Have to agree with that. There is a terrible jealousy regarding Leeds, I never noticed this for Wigan in the Eighties.

Posted · Hidden by ckn, October 15, 2012 - No reason given

Sorry, but the one dummy-spitting here appears to be you. I have always had admiration for other teams supporters but that is fast dwindling with some of the unnecessary childish outbursts from certain quarters.

Leeds supporters have a right to feel aggrieved at the jealous nit-picking from a couple of SL clubs, neither of whom, may I add reached the GF.

Sinfield is IMO the greatest player / captain in SL. He'd be my first choice for the England armband.

I held you up as one of the exceptions of Wiganers from what we read on rlfans,but it seems you cant get away from that insular town mentality that seems to pervade from their.no comment about the other mush above.

Why no comment?

It's funny watching a Leeds fan b*tch about stereotypes of other clubs' fans.

Key has a column in the People today and for the next few weeks I think. Good stuff.

Maybe you should stay on Southstander then to ensure back slaps a plenty and a single shared opinion amongst like minded Leeds fans. All I've offered is a view on a question answered earlier in the thread. At no point have I insulted Sinfield, I respect him and his achievements highly. Nevertheless I have some perspective regarding his overall legacy. What is ironic is that Leeds fans accuse others of being insular, when you can't see past the Blue and Amber and the last six years. Tell me why Sinfield was a better player than Sculthorpe and Farrell like I've offered in terms of the latter, and maybe its a debate.

Have to agree with that. There is a terrible jealousy regarding Leeds, I never noticed this for Wigan in the Eighties.

Violins are out - keep telling yourself that "Everyone hates Leeds" and one day it might actually be true. For all this supposed jealousy and bitterness, it's ironic that I rooted for Leeds to win 4 of their last 5 GFs. I only marginally wanted Warrington to win this year as I thought it would be better for the integrity of a season that runs from February to October, not just the Autumn, for the better side during this period to win.

What people don't like is a playoff system where it is a potentially easier route to the GF from 5th or 6th than from 3rd or 4th because of the weak teams at 7th and 8th. A system where the regular season is effectively pointless, as opposed to there being a real advantage to finishing 1st or 2nd in the past. It's the playoff system that a lot of people don't like, and its a view I expressed last season when Leeds had no influence on Wigan's shortcomings. No one is disputing that Leeds deserve to be called Champions as everyone knew the system was in place before the season started. Similarly they clearly were the best team in September / October, and Sinfield was influential in their success.

Sorry, but the one dummy-spitting here appears to be you. I have always had admiration for other teams supporters but that is fast dwindling with some of the unnecessary childish outbursts from certain quarters.

Leeds supporters have a right to feel aggrieved at the jealous nit-picking from a couple of SL clubs, neither of whom, may I add reached the GF.

The dummy spitting related to the mis-interpretation of the meaning and over reaction to the use of 'inferior' to describe the talents of Sinfield, in comparison to in my view more talented players which was a question asked by others. I fail to see where any point of the assessment was childish, it was purely an objective opinion not biased by current events.

In terms of nitpicking, I've offered respect for Leeds and Sinfield's achievements, and the quality of the grand final. If Leeds fans are overly sensitive to any opposing views to the current system and their status, then that is their issue - if it were my team just crowned Champions then I'd be content with that rather than having some entitlement to widespread acclaim. At the end of the day a forum is a place for debate, and opposing opinions are healthy. Some fans can look objectively at the current state of the game irrespective of their club's status, others can't. In this regard, I support a system that was in place when my club failed to make the playoffs on two occasions, as opposed to the current one where we have always been in the mix.

Not sure if anyone has seen the Waitrose paper this weekend.

Top of the bill on the back page, Claire Balding writing very very positively about the Grand Final and in particular her 'hero' Kevin Sinfield. She even goes so far as to write 'If I had a son, I would want him to grow up to be like Kevin Sinfield - humble, hard-working and honest'.

Quite some praise and great write up for RL in such an ABC publication.

C'mon people... it's far too early into the post-season for this sort of stuff. A number of posts deleted with a broad brush because I don't have time to be selective this morning.

Two points:

1. People are allowed their own opinion as long as it's reasonable. Saying Farrell is a better player than Sinfield is a reasonable opinion that has arguable merits. I'm not saying he is, just that it is a reasonable opinion.

2. Please don't drag threads down through petty bickering. Strong debate is welcome, petty bickering is not. Also, petty tribalism just makes you look silly...

On the question posed in the original post though, I'd pick Farrell first, without even having to think about it, to me it's a no-brainer. Sculthorpe and Sinfield get a joint 2nd place with little to separate them overall, each has their own strengths, each has their own weaknesses. If I were picking a club captain out of Sculthorpe and Sinfield then I'd pick Sinfield, if an international captain then Scully would win the vote. (Disclaimer for those interested, I am a Saints fan)

On the question posed in the original post though, I'd pick Farrell first, without even having to think about it, to me it's a no-brainer.

Yeah, but what do you know......

*runs away*.......

Good post ckn.

Farrell hands down for me. Far far better player. Lead from the front. No doubts about selecting him ever.

Sculthorpe and Sinfield are close but for different reasons. Scully in his prime was phenomenal. But he wasn't in his prime for very long before he became injury prone and dirty to make up for his diminishing talents. Sinfield has been consistent for a long number of years and a great leader.

I'd pick Scully over Sinny as a player, but vice versa for captains.

Farrell over both though in both areas.

Maybe you should stay on Southstander then to ensure back slaps a plenty and a single shared opinion amongst like minded Leeds fans. All I've offered is a view on a question answered earlier in the thread. At no point have I insulted Sinfield, I respect him and his achievements highly. Nevertheless I have some perspective regarding his overall legacy. What is ironic is that Leeds fans accuse others of being insular, when you can't see past the Blue and Amber and the last six years. Tell me why Sinfield was a better player than Sculthorpe and Farrell like I've offered in terms of the latter, and maybe its a debate.

Sinfield gets selected as international capt and then some come on here and start saying "huh"Faz was 100 times better.Why?its nothing to do with Andrew Farrell or head nocker Locker.I never said he was better than sos and so or so and so,because its not about them now,ut he's not inferior either

C'mon people... it's far too early into the post-season for this sort of stuff. A number of posts deleted with a broad brush because I don't have time to be selective this morning.

Two points:

1. People are allowed their own opinion as long as it's reasonable. Saying Farrell is a better player than Sinfield is a reasonable opinion that has arguable merits. I'm not saying he is, just that it is a reasonable opinion.

2. Please don't drag threads down through petty bickering. Strong debate is welcome, petty bickering is not. Also, petty tribalism just makes you look silly...

On the question posed in the original post though, I'd pick Farrell first, without even having to think about it, to me it's a no-brainer. Sculthorpe and Sinfield get a joint 2nd place with little to separate them overall, each has their own strengths, each has their own weaknesses. If I were picking a club captain out of Sculthorpe and Sinfield then I'd pick Sinfield, if an international captain then Scully would win the vote. (Disclaimer for those interested, I am a Saints fan)

Two points:

good post CKN ive been back home for few days so not been following this thread.I just think the term inferior whatever its dictionary definition is the wrong word to use and disrespectful to a man like Kevin Sinfield