Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

66 posts in this topic

it could be me not seeing something that is staring me in the face

but there is no mention of the GF in today's IOS.

There's a report on the website, seems odd it wouldn't rate a mention in the print version. What have they printed in the sports pages?

Why would it when even the Independent's own RL correspondent is often heard talking the game down?

Hadfield probably told them not to bother.

This is why the Michael Calvin article in the Indy a few weeks ago in which - after years of having nothing to say about the game for any of the myriad newspapers that have employed him - he described rugby league as "living a lie" was so shameless...

For the printed version of the paper to have not a single word on the culmination of the sport's domestic season - and by this I don't just mean a cursory match report but maybe even a profile of one of the many wonderful athletes who gave their all yesterday - says everything as to how much the game's welfare means to the likes of Calvin's current paymasters.

The Times had a half page article about the game today, plus a little pic of two Leeds players on the header of their sports section. They had an article from Stevo, of all people (moaning about the game, obviously) on Saturday along with a preview article by Chris Irvine. They also had a preview article on Friday. The Times isn't doing too badly for RL cover in its printed version. Of course their cover of RL is nowhere near as extensive as that of soccer, union, cricket or golf, but it's been more than a column size throughout the play offs.

Great piece by Andy Wilson the day of game.

decent match reportby Andy in the Observer as well.

I'm not happy about people knocking Dave Hadfield.

It's on page 18 of the sport section. Full page with 4 pictures.

thanks mate

I've looked and looked, but for some weird reason didn't see it. I'll look again.

Why? He is on a real downer at the moment and what pathetic coverage RL might get, he sees fit to use on 'game in crisis' style articles. Not good enough

Why? He is on a real downer at the moment and what pathetic coverage RL might get, he sees fit to use on 'game in crisis' style articles. Not good enough

the ammount of coverage isn't down to him

maybe it's what he thinks. I think 'game in crisis' is nonsense, if that's what he's said.

I still can't find the report in my IOS

maybe it's what he thinks. I think 'game in crisis' is nonsense, if that's what he's said.

So surely what little he does get, he might want to use as decent pieces? If only to keep himself in a job. As it is, it looks like the 'independent' is right to shun RL.

decent match reportby Andy in the Observer as well.

I was quite shocked to see him the last time he was on the telly. He looked quite ill to me.

The best RL writer that we've had for many years and a shame to become tarred with this brush. Anyone on here who doesn't do what their boss tells them to do and still get paid let me know!

I'm disappointed that the three pieces I saw on Sunday, Times, Telegraph and Mail, all appeared without any other analysis. There was nothing to show casual readers how or where the game was won and lost. This, unfortunately, is a regular occurrence.

Was it an early edition? Not all editions will carry news from a Saturday evening.

Was it an early edition? Not all editions will carry news from a Saturday evening.

must have been. I've just checked again.

The best RL writer that we've had for many years and a shame to become tarred with this brush. Anyone on here who doesn't do what their boss tells them to do and still get paid let me know!

That's not really a get-out for some of the negativity that has been written this year by some of the RL journos.

Not just Hadfield, but often in RL articles by RL Journos there are comments in that if written by a non-RL Journo would be described as snide and part of an agenda.

on page 18 of my IOS there's a full page feature about Andy Murray

Why would it when even the Independent's own RL correspondent is often heard talking the game down?

Do they still have a correspondent on the books? I thought Dave Hadfield had been freelance since the back end of 2011.

Jonathan McEvoy in today's Daily Mail has written a big article that praises Kevin Sinfield.

He grudgingly praises the game as a whole but there is an underlying condescension in the article.

Why when we get any publicity do they always seem to have a negative slant? Read the articles on union and they emphasise the positives.

Read the articles on union and they emphasise the positives.

They don't always emphasise them... sometimes they invent them! :P

Me neither.

If ever there was a case of picking on the completely wrong target, this is it.

Anyone who thinks Dave has a 'down' on Rugby League needs to read his piece on the Grand Final in the new issue of Rugby League World to recognise how far off beam they are. There are precious few who understand and appreciate the game better.

The Indy, on the other hand, really has gone right down the pan as far as Rugby League is concerned since they dispensed with Dave as a staff writer. Hardly surprising as the only reason it was any good in the first place was down to him.