Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adelwire

UK RL needs a more intense league structure. Discuss

67 posts in this topic

I have said this for ages, but I doubt it will ever change, anyway here goes..............................

Problem you have is SLE and how funds are distributed from the Sky deal.

Currently I think each SL club gets £1,680,000 per season, with £1,680,000 going to the RFL and £1,680,000 being split between all 23 Championship clubs, giving you the 135 Million over the next 5 years.

If the SLE/RFL had anything about them they would restructure the Leagues and then broker a deal that benefited the sport as a whole instead of just the top end.

For example............................

SL - 10 teams getting £1,680,000 each.................if thats what it takes! :rolleyes:

Championship - 10 teams getting 60% of the remaining £8,400,000...........so thats £504,000 each

Championship 1 - 2 Divisions of 10 Teams (North & South) getting the remaining 40% between them £3,360,000...........So thats £168,000 each

Championship 1 clubs would also save on travel costs as it would be regionalised (To an extent :wacko:), also meaning players would be less effected in their professional work lives by their participation in Semi pro sport, plus lots of other common sense benefits and solutions to problems faced by Championship 1 clubs and their players.

Play offs for Championship 1 would be top 4 North & Top 4 South, 8 team format, i.e......1 (N) v 4 (S), 2 (S) v 3 (N) etc, straight knockout, Q-Finals , Semi - Finals & Final with GF Winner getting a home tie in a P & R playoff against Bottom placed Championship Team, Whoever wins either remains in, or joins Championship.

Championship Play offs - Top 6 (Similar format to SL but with 6 not 8) - GF winner gets a home tie in a P & R playoff against Bottom placed SL Team, Whoever wins either remains in, or joins SL.

SL Play offs - Top 6 (Similar to current format of 8 but with 6)

Challenge Cup to remain as it currently is.

SL & Championship to have an additional Cup Competition to include all teams in both Leagues that is to be played from April - July

Format - 4 Pools of 5 to be drawn giving 4 fixtures per team per group (Alternate draw to be used - SL club then C/ship club per group), 2 home, 2 away - All gates reciepts to be split equally between Home & Away teams for all fixtures.

Top 2 teams at the end of each Group stage to compete in Q - Finals, ie G1 winner v G4 Runner Up etc, Semi- Finals are open Draw and to be played at Neutral Venue, same for the Final.

Championship 1 to have an additional Cup Competition to include all teams in both Leagues played from April - July

Two groups of 5 from North - Two Groups of 5 from South giving 4 fixtures per team per group, 2 home, 2 away - All gates reciepts to be split equally between Home & Away teams for all fixtures.

Top 2 teams at the end of each Group stage to compete in Q - Finals, ie G1 winner v G4 Runner Up etc, Semi- Finals are open Draw and to be played at Neutral Venue, same for the Final.

Minimum fixtures for any Club in any division is 22 and it would be an equal split of 11 Home and 11 away.

This would produce a much more balanced competition all round, be more cost effective in many areas, be financially for more viable for most clubs and see revenue being generated and distributed more effectively to the benefit of the game as a whole.

It would also create a competition for 40 teams, open up opportunities for more players to develop at an appropriate level, particularly if SL clubs run Academies at U17s & U19's, Championship clubs run U21's reserves ;) and Championship 1 clubs just focus on a first grade squad.

SL Clubs, whilst not running U21's/Reserve teams would be granted the opportunity to retain up to 8 players from their academies on intermediate contracts for a maximum of 2 years (if coming out of the U19's) or until they turned 21 years of age. These 8 players would not form part of the first team quota of 30 players, but would train full time and be part of the first team squad as "project players" and could be part of any dual registration agreement between the SL club and a Championship Club in order to give them regular game time in an environment which will assist their development and they can be monitored.

Signing of Academy players or U21's/Reserves could only take place from 1st November each year, this would give ample time for squads to be built for all concerned.

Clubs relegated from SL to Championship would not run an U21's in their first year of relegation but would continue with their U19's in the SL Academy for their initial Championship season, therefore allowing players they have brought through their system to remain playing at the club at an applicable level and to see out the remainder of their Academy contracts. Once finished (Start of 2nd Year Championship) they could then move into the U21's/Reserve team, again remaining with the club that had developed them and also bring stability and hopefully a strong reserve team to the Club, continuing to lay foundations for the future.

Teams gaining promotion from Championship to SL would not run U17's or U19's Academies in their first year but continue running their U21's/Reserves in the Championship U21's/Reserve Competition, therefore allowing some strength in depth to the Senior 1st Grade squad and giving the club a full season to put all the necessary requirements and staff in place to oversee any Academy set up for the following year should they remain in SL.

If a Championship club went up and came straight down, it would have no effect on their U21's/Reserve Team as it would continue as normal, if a SL club went down and then gained promotion again the following year, they would only need to recruit at U17's in full and employ staff for the same age group as the U19's would still be in place. ;)

All too straight forward I know :D

So based on this year it would potentially look something like this...............

Super League

Wigan Warriors

Warrington Wolves

St Helens

Catalan Dragons

Leeds Rhinos

Hull FC

Huddersfield Giants

Wakefield Wildcats

Bradford Bulls

Hull KR

Championship

Salford City Reds

London Broncos

Castleford Tigers

Widnes Vikings

Featherstone

Leigh Centurions

Halifax

Sheffield

Batley

Keighley

Championship 1 - North

Dewsbury

Oldham

Rochdale

Hunslet

York

Barrow

Workington

Whitehaven

Gateshead

Swinton

Championship 1 - South

London Skolars

Crusaders

South Wales

Doncaster :O

Oxford

Hemel Hempstead

Gloucester

Northampton (Example)

Coventry (Example)

Nottingham (Example)

If only the RFL could see it :rolleyes:

thats very good work lord charles B)

Thanks, but the problem is the RFL spent over £7,000,000 on staff across all departments in 2011 and still they cannot come up with a way forward that will deliver a solid foundation for the sport as a WHOLE!

Leeds would have (most likely) had to have beaten every team above them in order to win the GF under the other two systems. So replace Wakefield at home with (most likely) St Helens away. I'd say that would be a significantly harder game.

On top of that, Wigan (and Wire in the top 6), would only have had to beat one team to reach the final, not two. They'd have also had two attempts to get to the final, not two attempts to get to the semi. It would be significantly easier for them.

I don't think Leeds would have gotten to the final under these systems, let alone won it.

many people incuding the bookies who quoted 18/1 before the catalans game did not think leeds would get to this seasons grand final under the present system so why could they not get to it under yours ? ok it would be harder but they have proved they respond to a challenge.

As Leeds have shown, it doesn't matter how you perform during the season, just how you finish. You can just coast through the season, so long as you turn it on for the last month. If the league was more competitive, you wouldn't be able to just coast through it.

Less teams and less SL games would solve this somewhat, but what of the other clubs? And how do we create more fixtures to make the clubs financially stable? I've got my ideas that I've said in the past many a time, and I stick by them, but they realistically won't happen despite being pretty simple to do.

How can a team coast thru the season then expect to win a game at will with the quality of sides now in super league? Don't make me laugh. The fact of the matter is that Leeds won fair and square with a predominantly British side that wanted to win the grand final, it is a team game. Why doesn't everybody alse coast through and then try win it from 5th? Would you have bet on Leeds to win in any of the play off matches? Would you bet on Leeds beating Wakefield, Catalan and Wigan if they were to play them again tomorrow? If not then you have just told yourself what a riddiculous argument you are presenting.

By the way when I was at the match on saturday I thought Silverwood was giving the balance of decisions to Warrington then when I watched it on telly I felt Leeds got the balance of decisions, a bit different to the semi final. It does even itself out I am afraid.

I have said this for ages, but I doubt it will ever change, anyway here goes..............................

Currently I think each SL club gets £1,680,000 per season, with £1,680,000 going to the RFL and £1,680,000 being split between all 23 Championship clubs, giving you the 135 Million over the next 5 years.

If the SLE/RFL had anything about them they would restructure the Leagues and then broker a deal that benefited the sport as a whole instead of just the top end.

SL - 10 teams getting £1,680,000 each.................if thats what it takes! :rolleyes:

Championship - 10 teams getting 60% of the remaining £8,400,000...........so thats £504,000 each

Championship 1 - 2 Divisions of 10 Teams (North & South) getting the remaining 40% between them £3,360,000...........So thats £168,000 each

Championship 1 clubs would also save on travel costs as it would be regionalised (To an extent :wacko:), also meaning players would be less effected in their professional work lives by their participation in Semi pro sport, plus lots of other common sense benefits and solutions to problems faced by Championship 1 clubs and their players.

Play offs for Championship 1 would be top 4 North & Top 4 South, 8 team format, i.e......1 (N) v 4 (S), 2 (S) v 3 (N) etc, straight knockout, Q-Finals , Semi - Finals & Final with GF Winner getting a home tie in a P & R playoff against Bottom placed Championship Team, Whoever wins either remains in, or joins Championship.

Championship Play offs - Top 6 (Similar format to SL but with 6 not 8) - GF winner gets a home tie in a P & R playoff against Bottom placed SL Team, Whoever wins either remains in, or joins SL.

SL & Championship to have an additional Cup Competition to include all teams in both Leagues that is to be played from April - July

Format - 4 Pools of 5 to be drawn giving 4 fixtures per team per group (Alternate draw to be used - SL club then C/ship club per group), 2 home, 2 away - All gates reciepts to be split equally between Home & Away teams for all fixtures.

Championship 1 to have an additional Cup Competition to include all teams in both Leagues played from April - July

Two groups of 5 from North - Two Groups of 5 from South giving 4 fixtures per team per group, 2 home, 2 away - All gates reciepts to be split equally between Home & Away teams for all fixtures.

Minimum fixtures for any Club in any division is 22 and it would be an equal split of 11 Home and 11 away.

This would produce a much more balanced competition all round, be more cost effective in many areas, be financially for more viable for most clubs and see revenue being generated and distributed more effectively to the benefit of the game as a whole.

It would also create a competition for 40 teams, open up opportunities for more players to develop at an appropriate level, particularly if SL clubs run Academies at U17s & U19's, Championship clubs run U21's reserves ;) and Championship 1 clubs just focus on a first grade squad.

SL Clubs, whilst not running U21's/Reserve teams would be granted the opportunity to retain up to 8 players from their academies on intermediate contracts for a maximum of 2 years (if coming out of the U19's) or until they turned 21 years of age. These 8 players would not form part of the first team quota of 30 players, but would train full time and be part of the first team squad as "project players" and could be part of any dual registration agreement between the SL club and a Championship Club in order to give them regular game time in an environment which will assist their development and they can be monitored.

Signing of Academy players or U21's/Reserves could only take place from 1st November each year, this would give ample time for squads to be built for all concerned.

Clubs relegated from SL to Championship would not run an U21's in their first year of relegation but would continue with their U19's in the SL Academy for their initial Championship season, therefore allowing players they have brought through their system to remain playing at the club at an applicable level and to see out the remainder of their Academy contracts. Once finished (Start of 2nd Year Championship) they could then move into the U21's/Reserve team, again remaining with the club that had developed them and also bring stability and hopefully a strong reserve team to the Club, continuing to lay foundations for the future.

Teams gaining promotion from Championship to SL would not run U17's or U19's Academies in their first year but continue running their U21's/Reserves in the Championship U21's/Reserve Competition, therefore allowing some strength in depth to the Senior 1st Grade squad and giving the club a full season to put all the necessary requirements and staff in place to oversee any Academy set up for the following year should they remain in SL.

If a Championship club went up and came straight down, it would have no effect on their U21's/Reserve Team as it would continue as normal, if a SL club went down and then gained promotion again the following year, they would only need to recruit at U17's in full and employ staff for the same age group as the U19's would still be in place. ;)

So based on this year it would potentially look something like this...............

Super League

Wigan Warriors

Warrington Wolves

St Helens

Catalan Dragons

Leeds Rhinos

Hull FC

Huddersfield Giants

Wakefield Wildcats

Bradford Bulls

Hull KR

Championship

Salford City Reds

London Broncos

Castleford Tigers

Widnes Vikings

Featherstone

Leigh Centurions

Halifax

Sheffield

Batley

Keighley

Championship 1 - North

Dewsbury

Oldham

Rochdale

Hunslet

York

Barrow

Workington

Whitehaven

Gateshead

Swinton

Championship 1 - South

London Skolars

Crusaders

South Wales

Oxford

Hemel Hempstead

Gloucester

Northampton (Example)

Coventry (Example)

Nottingham (Example)

Makes a lot of sense with the academies to do something like that and all leagues look strong the way its done.

Super League

Wigan Warriors

Warrington Wolves

St Helens

Catalan Dragons

Leeds Rhinos

Hull FC

Huddersfield Giants

Wakefield Wildcats

Bradford Bulls

Hull KR

Championship

Salford City Reds

London Broncos

Castleford Tigers

Widnes Vikings

Featherstone

Leigh Centurions

Halifax

Sheffield

Batley

Keighley

Championship 1 - North

Dewsbury

Oldham

Rochdale

Hunslet

York

Barrow

Workington

Whitehaven

Gateshead

Swinton

Championship 1 - South

London Skolars

Crusaders

South Wales

Oxford

Hemel Hempstead

Gloucester

Northampton (Example)

Coventry (Example)

Nottingham (Example)

in your championship 1 leagues would it not make more sence to place doncaster in div 1 north and swinton in div 1 south due to travel for both wales teams plus oxford and gloucester been easier to the manchester area than to doncaster

Super League

Wigan Warriors

Warrington Wolves

St Helens

Catalan Dragons

Leeds Rhinos

Hull FC

Huddersfield Giants

Wakefield Wildcats

Bradford Bulls

Hull KR

Championship

Salford City Reds

London Broncos

Castleford Tigers

Widnes Vikings

Featherstone

Leigh Centurions

Halifax

Sheffield

Batley

Keighley

Championship 1 - North

Dewsbury

Oldham

Rochdale

Hunslet

York

Barrow

Workington

Whitehaven

Gateshead

Swinton

Championship 1 - South

London Skolars

Crusaders

South Wales

Oxford

Hemel Hempstead

Gloucester

Northampton (Example)

Coventry (Example)

Nottingham (Example)

Makes complete sense - exactly why the RFL wouldn't consider it for a second!

To increase the intensity, id just drop 2 play off places to a top 6 play off system. Make the play offs more sought after and itll see regular season games become more meaningful.

my idea..

a 10 team super league

1. catalan

2. london

3. wigan

4. st helens

5. warrington

6 .huddersfield

7. bradford

8. leeds

9. hull

10. hull kr

So you've dropped Wakefield? A club that has turned its fortunes around, has started to get good average gates and reached the playoffs? How does that benefit SL?

So you've dropped Wakefield? A club that has turned its fortunes around, has started to get good average gates and reached the playoffs? How does that benefit SL?

cos it's not based on 1 pretty average season

hence why london are still there....over the course of 17 super league seasons they've averaged a league position of 8....never finished bottom and only finished next to bottom twice...

We need a more intense week to week competition.... Dont think anyone would disagree with that. But how do we achieve it. Reduce league would do it, but damage any of the teams dropping out of SL.

I interpret the OP as being about Superleague and not the Rugby Football League structure.

12 teams will do it. There's an admission 14 was too much and 14 leak millions so I wouldn't argue against a drop and be happy that it would strengthen the comp.

That would not entirely do the trick. To me there's a series of problems.

1. A historic uneveness in the squads - some clubs can scrape a good X111 others have quality 1-25. This may change if the following is addressed............

2. Sort out the SL finances, cut the losses and stop clubs going bust. It destroys team building and sets the club back years.

3. Ensure all SL clubs have a decent academy and a wide enough base for it such that you don't get clubs who bring through 20 quality players and other clubs bring through 4 quality players in the same time frame.

4. Make sure every club is spending full cap year on year.

After that it becomes tricky

5. Stop NRL stars who skew the uneveness only being prepared to come over if they can play for a trophy winning club.

6. Stop British stars from failing to negotiate their worth and hanging around trophy winning clubs on less money that they are worth.

After that circumstance will prevent an even comp every match/week.

You may get a fired up Wire slaughter a fed up (with the coach) Broncos. Next time round a fired up Broncos may slaughter a "minds on the cup final resting players" Wire.........

in your championship 1 leagues would it not make more sence to place doncaster in div 1 north and swinton in div 1 south due to travel for both wales teams plus oxford and gloucester been easier to the manchester area than to doncaster

The problem here is that this would kill Swinton as a club, as this effectively keeps a Champ and Champ 1 structure and relegates the Lions.

Of all the teams in these pools Swinton are ranked 2nd behind Dewsbury based on the season just finished. 2 places higher and they'd be in the SL2 pool.

Restructuring is OK but needs to better reflect current status and in Swintons case their earned promotion and avoiding relegation (had it been in place this year).

The problem here is that this would kill Swinton as a club, as this effectively keeps a Champ and Champ 1 structure and relegates the Lions.

Of all the teams in these pools Swinton are ranked 2nd behind Dewsbury based on the season just finished. 2 places higher and they'd be in the SL2 pool.

Restructuring is OK but needs to better reflect current status and in Swintons case their earned promotion and avoiding relegation (had it been in place this year).

thats the perils of regional leagues and was of course one of the reasons for doing away with seperate yorkshire and lacashire leagues back in the 70s . personally im against regional leagues but if there been discused then lets ensure they have the right teams in them for the region there suposed to be in