Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

THE JIMMY SAVILLE THREAD

324 posts in this topic

Its not a case of picking on one man. We can't hold people who may have had very sexist views and/or thought they could cop a feel of the secretaries t¡ts, with systematic minor exploitation like Saville has done. Not to make light of the former but its not comparable.

Its not a case of picking on one man. We can't hold people who may have had very sexist views and/or thought they could cop a feel of the secretaries t¡ts, with systematic minor exploitation like Saville has done. Not to make light of the former but its not comparable.

I think it is comparable when Saville may be the standard bearer for the cultural underclasses of his age.

It's easy to isolate these incidents and lock them down and say it's a job done but we have a responsibility to all victims and not just those who happen to get touched up by a famous person.

I think it is comparable when Saville may be the standard bearer for the cultural underclasses of his age.

It's easy to isolate these incidents and lock them down and say it's a job done but we have a responsibility to all victims and not just those who happen to get touched up by a famous person.

I find sexual harassment unacceptable, let me say that first. But it is not the same thing as paedophilia (not saying you don't know this btw) and there is a huge difference between a creepy guy trying it on with a female adult worker and people like Saville involved in wide scale abuse, (which apparently stretches to the Jersey care home, so wide was his involvement)

Adults being sexually harassed is bad, children much more so. I do agree it all needs treating seriously though.

The only caveat I can think of is that society is judging the past, based on our values.

In the late 60's homosexuality was illegal, single mothers were shunned forcing thousands of kids to be adopted under duress. Sex was a dirty word.

I am not an apologist but it's difficult to finger Saville alone when the attitude to sex and women made exploitation so easy, even state sponsored. These men were born into a culture of female exploitation and by outing Saville we'll probably uncover just how endemic this exploitation was. I'm not saying we shouldn't but the actions of a sad little man may pale into insignificance.

Saville's behaviour went well beyond the late 60s

other men didn't behave in that way during the period or indeed before it or since it

That's pretty much what I'm driving at. There seems to be a push by people like the DM to tar anyone who might have had dubious sexual morals with the Saville brush.

There's a push by the Daily Mail to use these accusations against Leeds' favourite son as a stick to beat up the BBC, hence any excuse to print stories about other supposed goings on by BBC staff years ago.

There's a push by the Daily Mail to use these accusations against Leeds' favourite son as a stick to beat up the BBC, hence any excuse to print stories about other supposed goings on by BBC staff years ago.

I wonder if they'll be so keen to publish accounts of life for women employees in Fleet Street in those golden days.

I wonder if they'll be so keen to publish accounts of life for women employees in Fleet Street in those golden days.

Janet Street Porter has started the ball rolling

Janet Street Porter has started the ball rolling

This might come out wrong and probably will but...it wasn't so bad that it stopped her having a very successful career has it?

This might come out wrong and probably will but...it wasn't so bad that it stopped her having a very successful career has it?

no it didn't

do you think it helped her, and others?

She may have paid a high price to maintain or progress that career, as many others may have also.

She may have paid a high price to maintain or progress that career, as many others may have also.

I wouldn't know and as I say I don't want it to sound wrong but it didn't drive her to get a job in Tescos so either she turned a blind eye herself or it wasn't quite as bad as she says.

I wouldn't know and as I say I don't want it to sound wrong but it didn't drive her to get a job in Tescos so either she turned a blind eye herself or it wasn't quite as bad as she says.

Or she was a very strong and self-confident woman who was quite willing to go along with the culture for the sake of her career? She might even have been willing to turn the tables to put her superiors in a position where they felt they had to promote her.

I'm not saying she did. It would make her quite an exceptional and strong character.

Kids are kids no matter what the decade is.

I take your point, but there is a limit. Children were sent up chimneys in the 1870s (as an example); should we now prosecute all such cases of child exploitation?

I take your point, but there is a limit. Children were sent up chimneys in the 1870s (as an example); should we now prosecute all such cases of child exploitation?

Obviously both perpetrators and victims would all be dead.

But in the 1870s, it was legals to do this and so prosecuting anyone who require you to make a new law and then retrospectively apply it so that acts which were legal are suddenly criminalised. This is akin to jailing anyone who has slept with a 17-year-old.

However, the stuff that Saville is accused of was illegal when he did it.

Or she was a very strong and self-confident woman who was quite willing to go along with the culture for the sake of her career? She might even have been willing to turn the tables to put her superiors in a position where they felt they had to promote her.

I'm not saying she did. It would make her quite an exceptional and strong character.

Very possibly so.

Depends how bad the chimneys were swept.

chiled labour was legal then, it isn't now.

Saville was already breaking the law.

Just announced - his headstone will be broken up and dumped as landfill. No doubt there'll be some ghouls who'll have the bits up on eBay if they can find them.

Just announced - his headstone will be broken up and dumped as landfill. No doubt there'll be some ghouls who'll have the bits up on eBay if they can find them.

With this happening looks like his family have finally got to accept what he really was..........

Posted · Hidden by ckn, October 10, 2012 - No reason given

"Dear Jim, can you fix it for me to go on holiday with a girl from my class?"

Signed Jeremy Forrest, aged 30.

I Have just heard an expatient from Stoke Mandeville hospital and she said "one of the nurses told me Jimmy Saville is coming today,so if I was you I would feign illness or say y feel weak and need a wheelchair.Then you wont be the chosen one to go with him alone in a room"If these nursres had the slightest suspicion about this man they should have reported it and made sure it was looked into.I cant accept the reasons people put forward to why he got away with it all his lfe

I can understand a young girl being too intimidated to speak out or perhaps trying it and being warned off.

But all the people in powerful positions? Not to pick on her only, but Janet Street Porter knew or suspected him but never said anything? Even when she was in a high spot herself?

Paul Gambaccini said he had 'been waiting 30 years for this to come out'? Really? Surely it would have been better coming out then rather then when he is 6ft under!

It's astonishing that so much could have been hidden or covered up for so long by so many about one celebrity DJ. And that's all he was, a celebrity DJ. Mafia bosses have wielded less influence than Jimmy Savile seems to have had. Apart from threats of legal action, what else did he have in his armoury to prevent any of this coming to light before he died? What were the people who knew about it afraid of? Not so much the victims, that's understandable, but those others coming forward in their droves now who apparently knew what he was up to. Media institutions have ignored threats of legal action to expose others in the past, why not him? If the evidence is as overwhelming as these investigations now underway suggest, no legal action on his part could possibly have been upheld once it became public.

I suppose it resembles the phone hacking scandal in many ways. That started as a trickle before it became a disgusting flood.

It's astonishing that so much could have been hidden or covered up for so long by so many about one celebrity DJ. And that's all he was, a celebrity DJ. Mafia bosses have wielded less influence than Jimmy Savile seems to have had. Apart from threats of legal action, what else did he have in his armoury to prevent any of this coming to light before he died? What were the people who knew about it afraid of? Not so much the victims, that's understandable, but those others coming forward in their droves now who apparently knew what he was up to. Media institutions have ignored threats of legal action to expose others in the past, why not him? If the evidence is as overwhelming as these investigations now underway suggest, no legal action on his part could possibly have been upheld once it became public.

I suppose it resembles the phone hacking scandal in many ways. That started as a trickle before it became a disgusting flood.

Now, that, is the big question IMO.

Now, that, is the big question IMO.

In his autobiography he writes frequently about his 'minders' whose job appeared to be creating a 'secure bubble' in which he could operate. He says of them: "I trained my men well". This tallies with a colleague's story of how he used to send his minders round the student nurse's home at LGI (where he had 'use' of a room) to 'select guests' to visit him, using 'foot in the door' type persuasion.

He also writes of having lads who dared to impose their attentions on his female nightclub punters tied up and beaten.

Unsavoury.