Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

THE JIMMY SAVILLE THREAD

324 posts in this topic

I'd heard the necrophillia far more as a rumour about Saville than the stuff that has come out prior to this month. I'd thought that might get slightly more press coverage once it came out, but nobody has really run with it so far. For obvious reasons, I guess it must be a lot harder to get evidence for

We are the BBC: we are never wrong.

Only the BBC could run a programme like tonight's Panorama

Those two comments seem contradictory to me.

I don't think they are. Did you watch Panorama? . Are you listening to Entwistle? Have you ever listen to or watched Points of View or the equivalent programme on BBC1 at 7.50 on a Saturday morning. These latter programmes consist largely of senior BBC TV managers responding to viewers' comments by saying in essence, "We are the BBC: We are never wrong."

You can see further proof here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaint/

Search for these keywords: sorry; wrong; mistake; apology. The responses use exactly the same type of language that Entwistle used yesterday when he patronisingly said he'd be "taking questions" at the select committee - rather a distortion, don't you think?

I don't think they are. Did you watch Panorama? . Are you listening to Entwistle? Have you ever listen to or watched Points of View or the equivalent programme on BBC1 at 7.50 on a Saturday morning. These latter programmes consist largely of senior BBC TV managers responding to viewers' comments by saying in essence, "We are the BBC: We are never wrong."

You can see further proof here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ints/complaint/

Search for these keywords: sorry; wrong; mistake; apology. The responses use exactly the same type of language that Entwistle used yesterday when he patronisingly said he'd be "taking questions" at the select committee - rather a distortion, don't you think?

I did what you said

http://www.guardian....cricket-england

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180544/BBCs-shambolic-Olympics-2012-coverage-Cycling-confusion-blamed-Twitter-fans.html

http://www.telegraph...-inquiries.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/sep/25/bbc-apologises-queen-abu-hamza

maybe I'm confused and your beef isn't with the apologies, but the way they are worded.

The Saville Scandal is far from over, and the BBC's role in it-and let's face it the other scandals that seem likely to emerge: so their apology in this instance might even be viewed as premature if anything.

Paul O'Grady has sounded off about this - he worked in a children's home in the early 70s and at the time Savile visited them the older staff told everyone not to let him be in a room on his own with the children. O'Grady admits he had no idea why, until much later.

I still can't imagine one Murdoch paper investigating another in the way the Panorama did with the Newsnight issue. I'm not shocked by much these days, but the evidence of the woman interviewed for the original programme was harrowing - if I'd seen that, or knew its content, there's no way I'd have ploughed on with the tribute programmes.

You can see further proof here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ints/complaint/

I did watch Panorama, yes.

It was a programme lambasting the BBC for being wrong about Jimmy Savile, being broadcast on the BBC.

It is important to look and how and why they got it wrong. That's what's happening now. But a lot of people in a lot of organisations were wrong about Jimmy Savile, for over FORTY YEARS! Including a Pope and a former Prime Minister.

Let's remember who the actual villain is here.

Savile 'fixed it' for The Yorkshire Ripper to meet Frank Bruno in Broadmoor. You couldn't make it up...

SutcliffeSavilleBruno-400x268.jpg

Did Frank Bruno use someone else's thumb in this picture or is a photoshop? When did this picture appear on the web?

Seems to me that if it is a fake then this, along with stories about necrophilia such as the non story by the independent, only increase my view that misinformation is the cornerstone of any self regulating industry and we'll never get to the bottom of it all with the cranks and wierdo's jumping on board.

Did Frank Bruno use someone else's thumb in this picture or is a photoshop? When did this picture appear on the web?

Seems to me that if it is a fake then this, along with stories about necrophilia such as the non story by the independent, only increase my view that misinformation is the cornerstone of any self regulating industry and we'll never get to the bottom of it all with the cranks and wierdo's jumping on board.

I reckon it's a sick fake. As if Bruno doesn't have enough problems

It's a mason's handshake isn't it?

It's a mason's handshake isn't it?

No! Because then the thumb would be on the knuckles of the other guy and be clearly visible in the photo.

Let's remember who the actual villain is here.

Absolutely..and Savile is the biggest of all. IOf course, I agree with you about the BBC when I wrote in my post yesterday, "Only the BBC could run a programme like tonight's Panorama," ( though by yesterday evening they didn't have much option really) I also wrote that "the BBC delivers Individual excellence at all levels, great people providing best-in-world quality material across a broad spectrum of subjects at a realistic price" However, at corporate level there is an arrogant and patronising attitude best characterised by "We are the BBC: We are never wrong" . It may well be that this belief blinded the Corporation to even the possibility that Savile was up to anything.

Top of the Pops must have been fun if Saville was presenting & Gary Glitter was on, It's no wonder they bused in kids for the audience

In these four cases you cite, over three years, they really did not have any option and really they were apologising for what someone else had done or said. Looking at the link to the BBCs complaint section, you'll find dismissive weasel words, sophistry and downright arrogance, exactly as you'll see on BBC! at 10 to 8 on a Saturday morning.

Absolutely..and Savile is the biggest of all. IOf course, I agree with you about the BBC when I wrote in my post yesterday, "Only the BBC could run a programme like tonight's Panorama," ( though by yesterday evening they didn't have much option really) I also wrote that "the BBC delivers Individual excellence at all levels, great people providing best-in-world quality material across a broad spectrum of subjects at a realistic price" However, at corporate level there is an arrogant and patronising attitude best characterised by "We are the BBC: We are never wrong" . It may well be that this belief blinded the Corporation to even the possibility that Savile was up to anything.

Is there a public or private corporation in the land where 'the suits' behave any differently to how you describe above? Is there any other that would excoriate itself in the way the BBC is now doing?

Is there a public or private corporation in the land where 'the suits' behave any differently to how you describe above? Is there any other that would excoriate itself in the way the BBC is now doing?

Its not really like that , though. An analogy: just because everyone else breaks the speed limit does not make it right for me to do so too. Its the BBC I am concerned with not the Bank of Scotland. In any case News International, when exposed to Leveson, was ultimate forced to clean up its act. Also, the BBC has rather been forced into this intense navel gazing. Its initial response especially to the Newsnight issue hardly merits the use of the word excoriate.

I just hope that Entwistle stays to resolve this, for a better and cleaner and less arrogant BBC is clearly needed.

Could you imagine, say, Kay Burley, grilling Rupert Murdoch or his son over the phone hacking revelations?

I'd certainly agree with JohnM that, in some matters familiar to TRL regulars, BBC executives have been extremely high-handed at times.

I just hope that Entwistle stays to resolve this, for a better and cleaner and less arrogant BBC is clearly needed.

You know me and how I regard the BBC but I agree with this.

According to a report I read in the Times last week, the BBC began 'cleaning up' as soon as the Director General changed. The one in charge at the time of Savile was known for his liberal approach. It is very likely that the BBC has been 'clean' ever since. It's wrong IMO to assume that because there was once a certain regime there that it is still there now.

I wouldn't argue with the arrogant part of your statement though. On a corporate level that attitude does present itself.

Oooo ... Thatcher, apparently.

The internet will melt.

Its not really like that , though. An analogy: just because everyone else breaks the speed limit does not make it right for me to do so too. Its the BBC I am concerned with not the Bank of Scotland. In any case News International, when exposed to Leveson, was ultimate forced to clean up its act. Also, the BBC has rather been forced into this intense navel gazing. Its initial response especially to the Newsnight issue hardly merits the use of the word excoriate.

The initial response to the Newsnight issue doesn't deserve the use of the word excoriate, true enough, but that wasn't what I was applying it to. The Panorama programme certainly deserves that description. Would the latter have been made without the stink that erupted in the first place? Well, wasn't the stink over the Newsnight investigation being canned started by those at the BBC who worked on it?

Are we not entitled to ask why ITV didn't broadcast its own Savile documentary sooner too?

The Beeb as an organisation certainly has its faults, but it ought not to be the big story here, Savile should be. He appears to have hoodwinked almost everyone he came into contact with over many decades both inside and also way beyond the boundaries of the BBC.