Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tim2

Offensive electronic communications

53 posts in this topic

I posted the Griffin story here because he has used Twitter to publish the private address of people he doesn't like and urged his followers (I'm sure they're a lovely bunch really) to turn up and stage a demo outside their house. Is that acceptable?

His twitter account was suspended for a time last night, but it is back online now with the tweet with the actual address in it removed.

This is where it gets awkward defending the rights of people to post whatever they like on social media under the blanket of free expression. It isn't just comedians or individuals with a dubious sense of humour you end up defending. It is odious toads like Nick Griffin, whose intentions were obviously not friendly towards the people whose address he published online.

I think it is something so utterly obnoxious that there is just no debating it. Griffin is absolutely out of order.

I didn't intend this thread to turn into a debate about the rights of B&B owners or gay couples, that's probably something that needs its own thread if anyone has the urge to start one.

I posted the Griffin story here because he has used Twitter to publish the private address of people he doesn't like and urged his followers (I'm sure they're a lovely bunch really) to turn up and stage a demo outside their house. Is that acceptable?

His twitter account was suspended for a time last night, but it is back online now with the tweet with the actual address in it removed.

This is where it gets awkward defending the rights of people to post whatever they like on social media under the blanket of free expression. It isn't just comedians or individuals with a dubious sense of humour you end up defending. It is odious toads like Nick Griffin, whose intentions were obviously not friendly towards the people whose address he published online.

But printing addresses etc moves away from free speech and into incitement. He could rant all he wants about heterophobia or whatever else he claims in his fevered little noggin is going on.

LIberty have defended and won on behalf Nick Griffin's right to free speech - and they were right to do so.

If Griffin was a genuine respected of free speech etc, he would have respected these guys rights by merely making his point, not by making a thinly disguised incitement to his readers to take some sort of action..