Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Felix Baumgartner

30 posts in this topic

You have to admire a bloke with a name like Felix Baumgartner. Even more so when he's planning to do this! :O

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19860249

The Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner will attempt to become the first human to break the sound barrier unaided by a vehicle.

He is going to jump out of a balloon at more than 120,000ft (36.5km) above Roswell, New Mexico.

In the near vacuum at that altitude, he should accelerate beyond about 690mph (1,110km/h) within 40 seconds.

If all goes well, he will open a parachute near the ground to land softly in the desert, 10 minutes later.

You have to admire a bloke with a name like Felix Baumgartner. Even more so when he's planning to do this! :O

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-19860249

The Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner will attempt to become the first human to break the sound barrier unaided by a vehicle.

He is going to jump out of a balloon at more than 120,000ft (36.5km) above Roswell, New Mexico.

In the near vacuum at that altitude, he should accelerate beyond about 690mph (1,110km/h) within 40 seconds.

If all goes well, he will open a parachute near the ground to land softly in the desert, 10 minutes later.

And if all doesn't go well? :unsure:

He'll land a bit earlier.

He will break the sound barrier, and the ground at the same speed, and not have to worry too much about funeral expenses :(, I reckon the force would mean they just have to fill the hole in.

Cancelled due to high winds,no doubt filling up his pressurised suit!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was awesome and glad Felix is OK and everything went OK. Heart was beating as he went through the checks and the descent especially when he opened the parachute

Just out of interest, I wonder what the reaction would have been if he'd got to the top and gone, 'no I'm not doing it, sorry it's too high.'

I skydove (?) from 14,000ft and very much doubt I'd have done it if I'd not been strapped to the back of somebody else who literally threw me off.

There was no chance of that happening as he had done various Base jumps of buildings like Petronas Towers and also done similar jumps to the one he had done out of capsules at 29 Kilometres/18 miles above the earth in july etc so had some idea what he was doing.

It was a bit like watching Apollo 13 without knowing the ending, rivetting. The bloke on the ground talking to Felix was a bit hit and miss.

Really impressed by Felix Baumgartner... He fell faster than Katie Price's knickers on a night out.