Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil

just bought myself a Fender Jazz Bass

59 posts in this topic

So, any of you have youtube vids of yourselves playing? Or are you just casual tinkerers?

I did try to learn guitar quite a while back (read:20 years or so), and also dabbled with bass. Couldn't get the hang of either, although I got a bit further on bass.

Go to Google and type Kerpunk- our Facebook page should be at the top. There's a few vids etc of us on there.

I'm typing this on an iPad and don't know how to cut and paste

Go to Google and type Kerpunk- our Facebook page should be at the top. There's a few vids etc of us on there.

I'm typing this on an iPad and don't know how to cut and paste

Just had a watch of some of the vids. Nice song choices, brings back memories from my younger days.

And your playing my home town tonight.

Just had a watch of some of the vids. Nice song choices, brings back memories from my younger days.

And your playing my home town tonight.

We've played that venue a few times and always go down well- last night was no different. Packed out, loads of dancing and singing along. I loved every second of it.

Bit deaf this morning as usual though...

The guy who used to be my department head has an Ibanez George Benson - see below. It's gorgeous!

ibanez-serie-signature-george-benson-gb-10-bs-brun-degrade-avec-etui-101123.jpg

I had one of these...

fender_tele_thinline.jpg

… made for me in the style of one of these….

rickenbacker_360-12.jpg

Will post a pic tmrw.

I can't do with those guitars that poodle haired spandex metal bands use. The ones thatv stick out at all sorts of angles

Those Bo Diddley rectangular ones are just so wrong.

Those Bo Diddley rectangular ones are just so wrong.

epiphone do replicas.

never liked em although he got a decent sound out of them at the time

epiphone do replicas.

never liked em although he got a decent sound out of them at the time

I like his playing. I just think they're all wrong aesthetically. Still, I suppose it worked if he was looking for a trademark.

what do you have to do to qualify as being 'indie'?

Don't you have to be signed to an independent label? What constitutes an independent label, independent from what?

Don't you have to be signed to an independent label? What constitutes an independent label, independent from what?

I'm nmot signed to any label: does thaat make me independent, or just ######?

How can you tell if a band or singer is 'indie' by listening to them?

what do you have to do to qualify as being 'indie'?

Don't be signed to a major. Do it for yourself, form your own 'label' and do everything independently.

Though 'indie' has become a genre: a bit 'alternative', a bit 'left field', 'authentic' and not major-label polished.

I had one of these...

fender_tele_thinline.jpg

… made for me in the style of one of these….

rickenbacker_360-12.jpg

Will post a pic tmrw.

About 10 years ago, I had £150 burning a hole in my pocket for a new guitar and a shop in Manchester had a sale on Squier guitars, so I went to buy a Tele. When I got there, all the Teles had gone, but - as I was there and I had the cash in my pocket - I bought a Strat instead.

But I never got on with it: too heavy, too unwieldy, could never get a tone I liked - so it sat, unloved and unplayed, in its gig bag in the spare room for nigh on 8 years. When we moved house three years ago, my other half said "What *are* you going to do with this guitar?" At that time I'd come across a guitar-maker called Carl Flint who was always looking for 'interesting projects' so I asked if he could cannibalise my unloved strat for hardware and the neck, but build me a Tele Thinline body. As he'd not done a hollow-body, he used me/my guitar as a guinea pig. When it came to the sound-hole, we thought it'd be unusual for it to have the Ricky 'curve' on it, so we bit the bullet and put one in.

Unlike its predecessor, I love my 'frankenstein' Tele. Light, dead easy to play and gets played pretty much every day. You might notice, it's only got 5 strings - it's tuned to 5-string open-G tuning a la Keef Richards. Makes it fun and interesting to play (takes me out of the 'concert-tuning' straight-jacket ).

IMAG0141.jpg

Thanks for that - I like the look of it, and owning something unique made specially for you is worth more than the money.

About 10 years ago, I had £150 burning a hole in my pocket for a new guitar and a shop in Manchester had a sale on Squier guitars, so I went to buy a Tele. When I got there, all the Teles had gone, but - as I was there and I had the cash in my pocket - I bought a Strat instead.

But I never got on with it: too heavy, too unwieldy, could never get a tone I liked - so it sat, unloved and unplayed, in its gig bag in the spare room for nigh on 8 years. When we moved house three years ago, my other half said "What *are* you going to do with this guitar?" At that time I'd come across a guitar-maker called Carl Flint who was always looking for 'interesting projects' so I asked if he could cannibalise my unloved strat for hardware and the neck, but build me a Tele Thinline body. As he'd not done a hollow-body, he used me/my guitar as a guinea pig. When it came to the sound-hole, we thought it'd be unusual for it to have the Ricky 'curve' on it, so we bit the bullet and put one in.

Unlike its predecessor, I love my 'frankenstein' Tele. Light, dead easy to play and gets played pretty much every day. You might notice, it's only got 5 strings - it's tuned to 5-string open-G tuning a la Keef Richards. Makes it fun and interesting to play (takes me out of the 'concert-tuning' straight-jacket ).

IMAG0141.jpg

I am agog

In a good way?

oh yes

one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen.

What sort of sound does it have?

oh yes

one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen.

What sort of sound does it have?

It's pretty versatile. The clean sound isn't as harsh/trebly as a strat, it has a really good, 'dirty' middle and it has a really warm, but clear bottom.

Gives me a pretty good 'stonesy' sound. And really punchy on blocky/damped rhythm chords.

It's way better than I could've hoped for a 'guinea pig' - and it's improving as it plays in. It 'moved' a lot the first six months or so.