Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

usain bolt

challenge cup draw

74 posts in this topic

what was the criteria for being invited this year? theres usually a breakdown listed of which teams and why, ie cup/league winners for the different areas and leagues represented.

At a guess:

Bank Quay- Lancashire Cup

Blackbrook- NWML (in lieu of Bank Quay)

Drighlington- Pennine League

Hunslet Old Boys- Yorkshire Cup

Bonymaen Broncos- winners of the collapsed South Wales League (why? no chance of them turning up IMO. Why not another Cumberland League side or a Hull League side?)

Other than that teams in tier 3 this year or next plus 5 of the 6 top flight universities (University of Gloucestershire the exception for obvious reasons)

The National Cup winners have never had a right to enter the Challenge Cup. Once upon a time the finalists got invited to the Regal Trophy.

Stop cutting hairs, I'm well aware of the history (first hand) of how, why & why not some teams do and others do not gain entrance into the challenge cup, the National Cup holders have been invited for the last few (not going to trawl looking) seasons.

My point is if Queens are banned why didn't the RFL give this place to the runners up (Sharlston) in my eyes the RFL set a presidence of inviting the runners up in a competition once they invited Bristol (Not going into it because the bigger picture has started to develop and we never made much noise about it at the time)

Or is this just another way that the RFL are going to turn the knife into BARLA clubs because they would sooner play in a traditional seasons, maybe the only reason the county cup holders got an invite this season is because the Lancashire Cup winners went summer, I've a feeling that the Yorkshire Cup winners this season will also be out in the cold for the 2014 Challenge Cup.

At a guess:

Bank Quay- Lancashire Cup

Blackbrook- NWML (in lieu of Bank Quay)

Drighlington- Pennine League

Hunslet Old Boys- Yorkshire Cup

Bonymaen Broncos- winners of the collapsed South Wales League (why? no chance of them turning up IMO. Why not another Cumberland League side or a Hull League side?)

Other than that teams in tier 3 this year or next plus 5 of the 6 top flight universities (University of Gloucestershire the exception for obvious reasons)

Are Fryston banned from the Challenge Cup?

Are Fryston banned from the Challenge Cup?

Yes i think banned after trouble with Batley

If anyone is in our neck of the woods and fancies seeing the Sonics take on Eccles in the first qualifying round, the match will take place this Saturday (27th October) at Clifton RFC, Cribbs Causeway, kick-off 2.00pm.

If anyone is in our neck of the woods and fancies seeing the Sonics take on Eccles in the first qualifying round, the match will take place this Saturday (27th October) at Clifton RFC, Cribbs Causeway, kick-off 2.00pm.

Could be just one of a few games to be played as it's forecast snow up here.

Could be just one of a few games to be played as it's forecast snow up here.

Bloody Winter rugby!

Might have a bit of that. Are the Sonics up for it or is it likely to be a one sided encounter?

Might have a bit of that. Are the Sonics up for it or is it likely to be a one sided encounter?

Well, the 17 that turns out will be mostly made up of first team players. Ih our last game a couple of weeks back, we put out a team of mixed first/second team players and only lost by six points to the University of Gloucestershire's first team.

It could end up being one-sided - it depends what team Eccles bring etc - but our lads are definitely 'up for it'.

Plus, it's the last bit of Rugby League in this part of the world until the new year I'd have thought.

Thinking about it, I'm probably going to be in Swindon on Saturday morning, that's not too far away, is it?

Thinking about it, I'm probably going to be in Swindon on Saturday morning, that's not too far away, is it?

Nope, probably about 45 minutes door to door, maybe less. Clifton RFC, where we play, is just off the M5 - a couple of junctions down from the M4/M5 interchange.

Nope, probably about 45 minutes door to door, maybe less. Clifton RFC, where we play, is just off the M5 - a couple of junctions down from the M4/M5 interchange.

I may be there. It makes the thing a roughly 260 mile round trip, but on the other hand, I've got nowt else to do on Saturday!

I may be there. It makes the thing a roughly 260 mile round trip, but on the other hand, I've got nowt else to do on Saturday!

Well, if you do turn up do come and say hello - I'll be the rotund, beardy one wielding a clipboard.

If anyone's interested, there's a preview/press release on the Sonics site here>>

Well, if you do turn up do come and say hello - I'll be the rotund, beardy one wielding a clipboard.

If anyone's interested, there's a preview/press release on the Sonics site here>>

I'll be the beardy one in the hat and the St Albans top

Eccles only played 7 first team regulars against Dudley Hill last week, but we will be competitive. Hopefully we should have some players back this week, but we have 7 in Australia. I will be there, and I will also be the one with the clip board but no beard! Not bothering going to bed after working the Friday night shift.

PS Eccles have played Bristol Sonics before in the York Nines. Don't have my stats with me but Eccles won.

PS Eccles have played Bristol Sonics before in the York Nines. Don't have my stats with me but Eccles won.

I'd forgotten about that. It might have been the on eYork 9s trip I missed.

We have one former Eccles player involved with the club, Stafford Lloyd, though he's done his knee badly so won't be playing at the weekend. He's very disappointed about this, as you can imagine.

Looking forward to making everyone from Eccles welcome. We're generally a friendly bunch.

I'll be the rotund, beardy one wielding a clipboard.

I'll be the beardy one in the hat and the St Albans top

I will also be the one with the clip board but no beard!

So, we've got beard with clipboard, beard with hat, no beard with clipboard. We just need no beard with hat and we've got the set!

So, we've got beard with clipboard, beard with hat, no beard with clipboard. We just need no beard with hat and we've got the set!

I could also wear a hat if that's easier? I have very little hair these days (apart from on my face, obviously) so a hat is a distinct possibility of it's a bit chilly!

The clipboard is essential, mind, as I have to make notes for the match report!

I could also wear a hat if that's easier? I have very little hair these days (apart from on my face, obviously) so a hat is a distinct possibility of it's a bit chilly!

The clipboard is essential, mind, as I have to make notes for the match report!

get with the times matt and get a dictaphone ... lot easier than writing down especially when the heavens open up

would have come down to watch but on nightshift sat night good luck to the sonics

Which pitch are you on? The one with the stand or the one miles from the bar ?