Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

The Autumn Internationals Thread: England/Wales/France

Which Autumn Internationals will you be attending?   65 members have voted

1. 1. Which Autumn Internationals will you be attending?

• France v Wales (Lens)
    • Wales v England (Wrexham)
    • England v France (Hull KR)
    • The Final (Salford)
    • I am unable to attend any of the games
    • I am not interested in attending any of the games

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

120 posts in this topic

I've just got my ticket for France v Wales at Lens.

I would love to go with the kids - but I simply can't afford petrol + admission etc. So TV it is I am afraid.

I've just got my ticket for France v Wales at Lens.

Any news on what the latest crowd expectations are Browny?

Would love to go to the final, but ...

If I drive, I can't have a drink, so I've checked the trains. What is going on? I'm being offered routes via Newton le Willows, buses between Huddersfield and Leeds, nothing that gets me back to Malton before 7:00am on the Monday. I might be working on the Monday - Supply Teachers can never be sure until close to the day. Why can't things be simpler? Looks like driving is the only option, but I'm not keen on the prospect.

I think I'll decide closer to the day.

PS. forgot to say "I blame the rfl." ;)

surely its just of a case of into manchester jump on the transpeninne to leeds then there must be a late train to scarborough that stops at malton . the game will be over before 7pm and im pretty sure theres a train from manchester to scarborough just after 8pm

I paid full whack to attend the England vs Exiles game and was so appalled by the consideration for the viewing public shown by the team management I won't be wasting my money again, thanks all the same.

In what way? What didn't they do that you think they should have done to improve your overall experience?

Just how many games such as this would journalists attend if they had to pay their way in John?

I'm not the best person to ask as although I have a press pass, by choice I usually attend matches under my own steam and at my own expense. The press box is better being occupied by those who need the facilities available for writing or broadcasting reports on the game, which isn't part of my job.

I take the point I think you're trying to make though, that this isn't the most mouth watering international series we've ever been presented with, but in many ways we are trapped in a vicious circle with regard to international Rugby League. Fans won't attend in great numbers because the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them, but the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them because the fans won't attend in great numbers. How do we break that cycle? There isn't an easy answer to that, unfortunately.

Just noticed that the England-Poland game has just kicked off after being canceled last night in actual farcical scenes. The fans have every right to feel aggrieved and messed about.

But the stadium is packed.

Because they find a reason to make the game, not a reason to stay away.

Any news on what the latest crowd expectations are Browny?

Can't see any online. When I booked mine, you could see which places were sold and, to be honest, it didn't look like many.

Still, I lived in Lens for a bit so will be good to see the old place.

In what way? What didn't they do that you think they should have done to improve your overall experience?

I'm not the best person to ask as although I have a press pass, by choice I usually attend matches under my own steam and at my own expense. The press box is better being occupied by those who need the facilities available for writing or broadcasting reports on the game, which isn't part of my job.

I take the point I think you're trying to make though, that this isn't the most mouth watering international series we've ever been presented with, but in many ways we are trapped in a vicious circle with regard to international Rugby League. Fans won't attend in great numbers because the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them, but the RFL won't make a bigger deal of them because the fans won't attend in great numbers. How do we break that cycle? There isn't an easy answer to that, unfortunately.

The main problem is that the games are viewed to be one sided in Englands favour. The rules these days dont help and the best side on paper nearly always wins

surely its just of a case of into manchester jump on the transpeninne to leeds then there must be a late train to scarborough that stops at malton . the game will be over before 7pm and im pretty sure theres a train from manchester to scarborough just after 8pm

That's what I thought. Not, apparently on November 11th.

There are two trains after the match. The 7:38pm gets me into Malton at 22:34. The 11:55pm gets me in at 7:04am on the Monday. Now, the game kicks off at 5:00pm and should finish at about 6:45pm, allowing for half-time oranges, injury time and getting out of the ground. That gives me an hour maximum to get from Barton to Victoria. There's not much public transport at Barton and a half-decent crowd could make getting a taxi difficult. What do you think? Enough time? Given that the next train doesn't get me in until the following day, the downside of missing a connection (Oh, I almost forgot - there is a bus connection between Huddersfield and Leeds) is an overnight sleep out on Leeds station. What would you do?

I've not given up on the game. I might even decide to drive there and back, but the train times seem odd on this particular day. The previous Sunday, there is a train from Victoria at 8:38pm which would get me in at 11:34pm. And guess what! The Sunday after, there is a train at 8:38pm which would get me in at 11:34pm. This is why I raised the problem. Does anyone know what is going on?

The main problem is that the games are viewed to be one sided in Englands favour. The rules these days dont help and the best side on paper nearly always wins

Thing is, if England lost, or even just struggled to beat Wales or France in this tournament, the cry will go up that they are rubbish and not worth watching. Few would declare it the dawn of a new golden age of competitive internationals. If they win comfortably, it will be said that the games aren't watching because they're not competitive. I think Johnoco has a fair point above, in RL, particularly with internationals, we are generally pretty good at coming up with reasons not to go to a game rather than reasons to turn up and enjoy it for what it is.

Absolutely John.

I'm expecting England to win their matches quite comfortably. Wales and France will have their moments against England, and I'm still getting to see some great England players strut their stuff. What's not to like?

Of course I'd love to be going to the England matches with the same level of uncertainty that I'm going to France v Wales, but it's still great to watch England play.

Lots of league fans just don't get it and unfortunately never will. We need to focus our efforts on building a support base for the international game that is not reliant on the followers of northern clubs, because most of us aren't ever going to go to internationals.

Thing is, if England lost, or even just struggled to beat Wales or France in this tournament, the cry will go up that they are rubbish and not worth watching. Few would declare it the dawn of a new golden age of competitive internationals. If they win comfortably, it will be said that the games aren't watching because they're not competitive. I think Johnoco has a fair point above, in RL, particularly with internationals, we are generally pretty good at coming up with reasons not to go to a game rather than reasons to turn up and enjoy it for what it is.

Sorry John but unfortunately this tourny will not capture the imagination IMO:

1/ The England games are in unimaginitive heartland towns

2/ the England games are in ahem - England ( we should be playing away until we can be beaten)

3/ England will get all the calls (as we always do against lower opposition - but naff all against the Aussies)

4/ Todays silly 10m, non-competitive scrum and interchange rules just doesnt allow for close games/shocks any more

The best thing that could happen tounamentwise (unfortunately) is that England lose in Wales

Sorry John but unfortunately this tourny will not capture the imagination IMO:

1/ The England games are in unimaginitive heartland towns

2/ the England games are in ahem - England ( we should be playing away until we can be beaten)

3/ England will get all the calls (as we always do against lower opposition - but naff all against the Aussies)

4/ Todays silly 10m, non-competitive scrum and interchange rules just doesnt allow for close games/shocks any more

The best thing that could happen tounamentwise (unfortunately) is that England lose in Wales

Okay okay, you don't like Rugby League, we get it!!!!

Over and over again.

Cymru v England might have to be the sole annual International game this year after the excesses of the last two, not having at least one game down here in Cardiff ,Swansea or Neath especially with a year to go before the World Cup seems a mistake in opinion. Might stretch to a day out in Salford again if the Dragons make it, but having just been to the new gaff last sunday its not one for public transport.

People moaning and moaning and moaning scrap the tournament then and continue to watch the demise of international rugby league and watch it not even compete against Speedway internationals lol

Lets all just go back to the awesome competitive games of england v exiles in front of massive massive crowds NOT!

England v Exiles most uncompetitive games of rugby league i ever seen in front of 2 people at Huddersfield much much better that. Was like a game of tag.

Hopefully thats put the Moan in Moaning for you :angry:

Wales v England is special in any sport, Scott Gibbs who had a great career is remembered for that try at Wembley in '99 more than anything. I have fond memories of my first RL game at Ninian Park and that Jonathan Davies drop goal to win the game and send the crowd into a frenzy. Its moments like that you can wait years for and remind you why you watch and play the game because you long for them again. Going ahead against the Aussies in Wrecsam last year and the last minute penalty goal by White to beat the French in Albi in 2010 to qualify for the Four Nations was the same feeling many years on. To play for your country is still the highest playing honour of any player, regardless of the standard of the opposition.

None! I Was always an enthusiastic supporter of RL events including internationals but not any more. I even went to Twickenham for the opening 200 RLWC game in the p issing rain. When the RFL stop making those of us who don't support SL sides feel semi detatched, I'll start attending RFL events again!

Used to attend many internationals, Challenge Cup Final and even the SL Grand Final - will not support any of these events until the game returns automatic P&R......and I know dozens who feel the same.

Used to attend many internationals, Challenge Cup Final and even the SL Grand Final - will not support any of these events until the game returns automatic P&R......and I know dozens who feel the same.

That is a shame.

It is a subject that has been done to the death so I won't re-ignite it but I don't understand people who think this way.

That is a shame.

It is a subject that has been done to the death so I won't re-ignite it but I don't understand people who think this way.

You would if Rervers hadnt been promoted shortly before the cutoff

why?

Aren't you cutting off your nose to spite your face?

It seems a bit petulant and self serving to me.

why?

Aren't you cutting off your nose to spite your face?

It seems a bit petulant and self serving to me.

No in my case it's because I feel it has little to do with me. I always look for Leeds U's result, I'm interested, but I never go to watch them play. I always watch the 6N RU games, but I'd never dream of going to watch - I'm just not that involved.

As a fan of a non SL side that's the way I feel - they don't want me so why should I want them? As I said in an earlier post I used to be an enthusiastic attender at GF CC games, and international. I just can't be bothered any more. I might watch France/Wales this afternoon, but SWMBO has gone on a "pamper weekend" so I'm at a bit of a loose end.