Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Toulouse Olympique get go ahead for stadium upgrade

74 posts in this topic

In a sense, if we move to a 12 team SL, and that includes TO, the game will have to find a way to accommodate a lot of very strong and traditional clubs outside SL, which could if done properly be to the benefit of the game. Take Fev, Leigh and Fax - each of these has won major trophies in my time watching the game, and each of them has produced some wonderful players. If we had a 10 team SL1 and a 10 team SL2, with each club playing each other team in their division twice, and playing once against each team in the other league we would have 27 games, and the prospect of making the most of a lot of the game's hotbeds.

If we divvy up the TV money such that, say, SL2 teams get half the allowance for SL1, we could have the best of all worlds.

oh I see, that was supposed to be sarcastic ?

what do you really feel about TO13 playing in SL then ?

are you all for getting more money into the game or you don't care as long as it's not those nasty froggies ?

erhh yes Parky, someone does indeed 'know something' - it's been a done deal for the past year - the major

hurdle was getting the city council to help fund the project - the RFL was a pushover

you don't have to play each other twice in the SL season ! Look at the NRL

I would have Toulose in SL in a heartbeat. They should fast track the green light and agree to Toulouse being in for 2015. Give them 2 full years to plan to come into the squad. For those worried about French talent, 2 years prep will give them the opportunity put give out some full time contracts to promising players. Those players sloshing around Catalans without getting much game time (Stacul, Simon, Baille etc.) would have another outlet.

I was so disillusioned by the Championship episode. It was basically the RFL bottling it. Toulouse were always going to struggle. Would you work full-time and travel away to France to play every other week? Morale must have been low and it served no purpose. Having Toulouse in SL is not compromising British clubs it is complimenting them. It could also lead to a French TV deal.

Toulouse v Catalans derbies could draw 15,000 plus (not that there are that many RL fans in France. CM). It could transform the game and how it is perceived over there.

A few things on this:

- let's get them in. They're such a glamourous name, and the potential upside is so great that that outweighs the usual risks for me;

- the 8m loss is a meaningless figure. Saints regul s absorbed the losses. 10 pounds loss is too much if you cannot pay it. 10 million isn't if you can;

- if we had 18 teams not playing each other then the argument in favour of the GF winner being the "best" team would be stronger, and help assuage the wide spread discontent this year;

- having Toulouse in a 14 team comp could potentially increase the competition for English players, while exposing more French players to SL, thus leading to clear benefits for both internationally; and

- I know it won't happen, but I would love to see T O in a 2 tier SL with 10 teams in each.

Would it need to be a 2 tier SL? Could you just not have a 20 team Superleague split in two pools/ divisions/ whatever you want to call them, with the eventual winners of each pool going forward to contest the Grand Final?

Another point to consider is assuming Toulouse do make it to SL, would clubs stay in France and play Cats and Toulouse one after another? Over a two week period. Clubs could probably base themselves in Aude which is halfway between both places and do training camps in between games.

Yeah I think if they are in give them the light in 12 months, Robinson gave plenty of fringe players confidence to perform, the likes of stacul, baile, gossard, Simon are sl standard along with say massolot and quintella already at toulouse. Also young ben Garcia at nrl under 20's is another. Avignon and villenvue are hotbeds for rl talent toulouse should link up ties with these clubs. Griffi, saudoni and the bentley boys could also be SL standard. Barthau is could also be looked at, but longterm he is the playmaker at catalans post dureau/bosc. The first year will be a struggle ask widnes, crusaders, catalans.

What will be the capacity of the new improved ground?

And if Toulouse are in for sure for 2015, and they are going to start developing juniors now???

Why don't we just expand into conferences, play say, 5 games, then split to table into grade a and grade b. ou would play home and away in your group, and a number of cross grade games to get the required revenue.

We could bring back the regal trophy and play for it like the ranfurly shield in the itm cup in nz, you have to beat te holder at thier home ground to take it, you then hold it until beaten. It gets some great crowds for games and gives something else to play for.

Grade a and b teams contest the playoffs with only one grand final winner.

Another point to consider is assuming Toulouse do make it to SL, would clubs stay in France and play Cats and Toulouse one after another? Over a two week period. Clubs could probably base themselves in Aude which is halfway between both places and do training camps in between games.

arranging fixtures as you describe would be practical with training camps in between games though the camps could be anywhere in the area from Montpellier to Bordeaux - travelling times are relatively short due to the excellent road system so Perpignan - Toulouse is only a couple of hours drive for example

I know many of the championship clubs visiting Toulouse during the TO13 experiment in the Championship used the TO13 game as an excellent coaching/bonding camp for their players & staff

Yeah I think if they are in give them the light in 12 months, Robinson gave plenty of fringe players confidence to perform, the likes of stacul, baile, gossard, Simon are sl standard along with say massolot and quintella already at toulouse. Also young ben Garcia at nrl under 20's is another. Avignon and villenvue are hotbeds for rl talent toulouse should link up ties with these clubs. Griffi, saudoni and the bentley boys could also be SL standard. Barthau is could also be looked at, but longterm he is the playmaker at catalans post dureau/bosc. The first year will be a struggle ask widnes, crusaders, catalans.

Let's not forget there is also Remy Marginet and a few other youngsters in the elite who could play SL level.

What will be the capacity of the new improved ground?

And if Toulouse are in for sure for 2015, and they are going to start developing juniors now???

the eventual capacity at Stade Arnauné (Les Minimes) will be 10000 but Toulouse Olympique have an agreement with Stade Toulousain just down the road to stage games when a larger capacity is expected - TO13 had a similar agreement with another stadium not far away when bigger crowds were expected for some Championship games ie: Widnes

Toulouse have had an Academy for years and many youngsters have progressed to the Catalans first team either directly or via UTC - the two clubs work closely together and have an excellent rapport

Are there plans to extend the stadium after that? 10,000 is a little low for a SL club, although you do have other options for bigger games. I suppose it's a similar route to Catalans with Gilbert Brutus.

Are there plans to extend the stadium after that? 10,000 is a little low for a SL club, although you do have other options for bigger games. I suppose it's a similar route to Catalans with Gilbert Brutus.

the only option after the present two-stage plan would be to redevelop the present clubhouse area which would probably add a furthertwo or three thousand though that's just a 'guesstimate'

Carlos Z is expecting to have initial crowds of between 5 - 8 K so the 10 K capacity wouldn't be a major problem

the only option after the present two-stage plan would be to redevelop the present clubhouse area which would probably add a furthertwo or three thousand though that's just a 'guesstimate'

Carlos Z is expecting to have initial crowds of between 5 - 8 K so the 10 K capacity wouldn't be a major problem

But I thought the conventional wisdom on these boards was that a SL club was impossible to operate on less than a 10,000 average, never mind one that has to travel to the UK every second week. I am not knocking Toulouse, I am sure they have done the math but the rabid opposition to clubs in the UK who can't hit the 10,000 average vis a vis the support for the Toulouse application smacks of double standards.

But I thought the conventional wisdom on these boards was that a SL club was impossible to operate on less than a 10,000 average, never mind one that has to travel to the UK every second week. I am not knocking Toulouse, I am sure they have done the math but the rabid opposition to clubs in the UK who can't hit the 10,000 average vis a vis the support for the Toulouse application smacks of double standards.

Catalans averaged around 6k in their first season (2006) and now average 9-10k per game. HTH Toulouse is much bigger (potentially) than Perpignan.

I don't know if Toulouse going into SL is a good or bad thing - there are pros and cons but the one big advantage the RFL may be considering is the fact that Toulouse would not be reliant on one main sugar daddy like at London,Wakey or Widnes et al - the majority of the running costs would be borne by sponsors & tv money - Toulouse is a relatively rich city compared to the likes of Perpignan with loadsamoney in the pipeline though similar on-field success like the Catalans would be required to attract the fans on a regular basis - the word 'potential' keeps cropping up but it's easy to talk a good game...

I don't know if Toulouse going into SL is a good or bad thing - there are pros and cons but the one big advantage the RFL may be considering is the fact that Toulouse would not be reliant on one main sugar daddy like at London,Wakey or Widnes et al - the majority of the running costs would be borne by sponsors & tv money - Toulouse is a relatively rich city compared to the likes of Perpignan with loadsamoney in the pipeline though similar on-field success like the Catalans would be required to attract the fans on a regular basis - the word 'potential' keeps cropping up but it's easy to talk a good game...

Thanks for that further information. Multiple sources of income sounds like a winner.

Thanks for that further information. Multiple sources of income sounds like a winner.

seems more af a stable environment to run a business rather than relying on one man to prop up the company ? If I were the RFL I would be struggling to find stability or potential stability in these troubled times so maybe this is not a perfect scenario but a more intelligent way of looking toward to future ?

The RFL will warmly welcome Toulouse as they have to promote International RL.

The SLE will warmly welcome money money money if Toulouse are to provide it in spades....

SLE would not consider France at all if Great Britain had the resources to provide a vibrant Superleague from top to bottom that did not exclusively sit on the M62......

RFL

The RFL will warmly welcome Toulouse as they have to promote International RL.

The SLE will warmly welcome money money money if Toulouse are to provide it in spades....

SLE would not consider France at all if Great Britain had the resources to provide a vibrant Superleague from top to bottom that did not exclusively sit on the M62......

RFL

"The RFL will warmly welcome Toulouse as they have to promote International RL."

only in the northern hemisphere to iprovide better opposition for England teams

"The SLE will warmly welcome money money money if Toulouse are to provide it in spades...."

don't think Toulouse will be sharing much with the rest of SL - their ideal, like any other SL club would be to remain solvent

"SLE would not consider France at all if Great Britain had the resources to provide a vibrant Superleague from top to bottom that did not exclusively sit on the M62......"

exactly - the RFL have no interest other than making the SL continue and see Toulouse & Catalans as ways of keeping the SL dream alive - they see there are not many GB alternatives - the RFL have no altruistic links to France & vice versa

The RFL have no interest other than making the SL continue and see Toulouse & Catalans as ways of keeping the SL dream alive - they see there are not many GB alternatives......

Sheffield, Featherstone, Leigh and Halifax surely?

Nothings official yet but I'm just waiting for the uproar when people realise a club seems to be being flagged through nearly two years before the licensing process?

Sheffield, Featherstone, Leigh and Halifax surely?

Nothings official yet but I'm just waiting for the uproar when people realise a club seems to be being flagged through nearly two years before the licensing process?

And so there should be. There would not even be the ususal pseudo sham legitimacy to the SL application process if they did that.

After that there will be even more uproar when two of the weakest SL teams, London, Bradford , Castleford or Salford are are given the boot for Toulouse and a club from the Championships as promised by the league.

You think they have waited long enough screwed with the crusaders fast track then the championship experiment. They deserve a shot, not the. Usual whinging from championship Supporters that occurs.

A vital development in my view, as long as they meet the conditions ( and no problem with them being helped along the way, just like the others have been helped over the years). The international dimension is sport is so important these days from a TV and sponsorship point of view. The others have had their chances.

Since Catalan arrived in 2006 they've released something like 20 plus French players. Of that number a dozen or so are still playing in the Elite1/2.. The two latest let go Stacul & Gossard have between them nearly 150 SL appearances. The Bentley lads now at Pia still in their twenties have 60 games behind them too. Bemba, Griffi Soubeyras & Gigot are Elite1 players in the 19 selected to play France on Saturday. When Catalan started they had none of that experience. Worth remembering too that the French Academy side in recent times has done well against England. With two SL out fits the best of this crop can be developed & nurtured.

You think they have waited long enough screwed with the crusaders fast track then the championship experiment. They deserve a shot, not the. Usual whinging from championship Supporters that occurs.

I think they will get a shot. They seem to be well heeled andm dare say it, rubber stamped.