Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geoff Lee

For those interested in the history of Rugby League

32 posts in this topic

On Saturday October 20th, the Rugby League Collectors' Federation are holding a programme fair and auction at the South Leeds Stadium, Hunslet. The fair starts around 10 and the auction at 12.30. On show to look at and/or buy will be a large collection of programmes, books, magazines, novels, badges, photographs, DVDs, items of clothing and dinner menu cards.

Among the 224 items in the auction are included the programmes for the following games:

1911 Batley v Wigan (Challenge Cup Semi-Final played at Fartown)l

1926 England v New Zealand (played at the Boulevard)

1940 Hunslet v Bramley

1942 Halifax v Bradford

1946 Wakefield v Wigan (Challenge Cup Final played at Wembley)

1946 Bramley v Huddersfield

1946 Leeds v Broughton Rangers

1946 Oldham v Broughton Rangers

1947 Belle Vue Rangers v Dewsbury

1947 Belle Vue Rangers v York

1947 Bradford v Warrington (Challenge Cup Semi-Final played at Swinton)

1949 Halifax v Huddersfield (Challenge Cup Semi-Final played at Odsal)

1949 Batley v Hunslet

1949 Leeds v Hunslet

1950 Huddersfield v St Helens (played at Abertillery)

1950 Leeds v Wigan

1950 Huddersfield v Italy

1950 St Helens v Carcassonne

1952 Keighley v Australia

1955 Halifax v Hull (Yorkshire Cup Final played at Headingley)

1956 Hunslet v Wakefield (Yorkshire Cup Final played at Headingley)

plus a framed railway poster advertising an excursion from Bradford to York to the York v Idle Yorkshire Cup tie in 1896.

All Rugby League fans are welcome to attend what is always a very sociable event.

And most importantly admission is free!

York v Idle?

I live there and have never heard of any Rugby team at all.

Yorkshire Second Competition West table at the end of the 1900 1901 season

Heckmondwike

Keighley

Shipley

Sowerby Bridge

Dewsbury

Hebden Bridge

Otley

IDLE

Todmorden

Bingley

Windhill

This information I found in the book "Cougars Going Up" The Keighley Cougars Rugby League 2003 Yearbook.,

geoff will you been selling any LLP publications there

York v Idle?

That's because Idle stopped playing rugby and became the legendary Idle Working Men's Club. ;):D

That's because Idle stopped playing rugby and became the legendary Idle Working Men's Club. ;):D

Is that true?

Yorkshire Second Competition West table at the end of the 1900 1901 season

Heckmondwike

Keighley

Shipley

Sowerby Bridge

Dewsbury

Hebden Bridge

Otley

IDLE

Todmorden

Bingley

Windhill

This information I found in the book "Cougars Going Up" The Keighley Cougars Rugby League 2003 Yearbook.,

Thanks for that, never knew that.

Is that true?

Don't think so. It was just an idle comment. :)

To Southstand Loiner and others, I will have a range of LLP books on sale at the fair. Our latest three books are "Come On Northern. The Fall and Rise of Bradford Northern RLFC 1954 to 1965" written by Trevor Delaney. "A Lad From Donkey Common. A Rugby League Life", the auto biography of Austin Rhodes and "Rugby's Greatest Mystery. Who really was F.S. Jackson" by Tom Mather.

If anyone sends me a P.M. I can arrange to bring others as well

Don't think so. It was just an idle comment. :)

It could make sense though. The cricket team are quite handy and very well established and football teams were generally works/church/pub teams. But I can't think where they may have been based. Idle WMC could have been involved.

York v Idle?

Idle used to be a good side in the Yorkshire Sunday League years ago, their pitch had a dry stone wall around it a bit like Underbanks but level

It could make sense though. The cricket team are quite handy and very well established and football teams were generally works/church/pub teams. But I can't think where they may have been based. Idle WMC could have been involved.

Their secretary was R Spencer, Lycroft, Poplars Farm, Bradford

West Yorks Sunday 2nd Div 1987/88

Houghton Greyhound

Idle

Thorne Colliery (Moorends)

Wrenthorpe

Dodworth

Sandal Warriors

Goldthorpe

Broadsworth

Dewsbury Celtic `A`

Bentley Good Companions

Their secretary was R Spencer, Lycroft, Poplars Farm, Bradford

Cheers mate. I haven't lived in Idle all my life but you tend to hear of various teams playing locally. I've been doing a bit of research on Idle (for my house reasons) and have never come across a team mentioned anywhere. Thinking about it I reckon the team you mention might have played on/near another cricket team.

Cheers mate. I haven't lived in Idle all my life but you tend to hear of various teams playing locally. I've been doing a bit of research on Idle (for my house reasons) and have never come across a team mentioned anywhere. Thinking about it I reckon the team you mention might have played on/near another cricket team.

I'm sure their team had a few West Yorkshire firemen playing for them.

Oddfellows Idle were operating not too long ago, without checking my records, I think, in the Pennine league.

York v Idle?

York or Idle ? :lol:

To be fair, it's dated 1896. How old are you ? :blink:

When you see things like that old league table, it makes you realise how big a footprint RL used to have in the North and how much we have regressed since those days The names that jumped out to me were Bingley, Shipley and Otley. They have all been reclaimed by RU now.

I remember another article I read lisitng amateur teams in Keighley in the distant past and there were about 15 of them. Now we are lucky if we have two in the actual town itself.

We knock BARLA but I reckon they breathed life into a corpse when they were founded and probably saved the game, including the pro game, since they still get the majority of their players from amateur clubs.

York or Idle ? :lol:

To be fair, it's dated 1896. How old are you ? :blink:

There have been quite a few history books about Idle but I've never heard any rugby teams mentioned in any of them. Undercliffe were, and maybe still are, based at the cricket club and that was as close as it got from what I read.

When you see things like that old league table, it makes you realise how big a footprint RL used to have in the North and how much we have regressed since those days

Except when you say 'the north', sadly the reality is West Yorks and some of Lancashire.

When you see things like that old league table, it makes you realise how big a footprint RL used to have in the North and how much we have regressed since those days The names that jumped out to me were Bingley, Shipley and Otley. They have all been reclaimed by RU now.

I remember another article I read lisitng amateur teams in Keighley in the distant past and there were about 15 of them. Now we are lucky if we have two in the actual town itself.

We knock BARLA but I reckon they breathed life into a corpse when they were founded and probably saved the game, including the pro game, since they still get the majority of their players from amateur clubs.

True, in the Doncaster and District Cup we used to have up to 26 teams entered.

Except when you say 'the north', sadly the reality is West Yorks and some of Lancashire.

Well, not quite. We have always had a prescence in East Yokshire, Hull obviously but also Beverley. In Lancashire, we had Lancaster, Morecambe, even Kendal ( If thats in Lancashire ) Around Manchester we had Stockport, Tyldsley, Ratcliffe, Broughton.

In Cheshire, Runcorn were a power at one time.

I must say that the lack of any premier league soccer club is Yorkshire and the demise of lower league soccer in Halifax and Bradford Park Avenue are pleasing developments. Lancashire is another story. Despite the success of Wigan, Saints and Warrington, the game faces huge competiton from soccer in the county palatine.

True, in the Doncaster and District Cup we used to have up to 26 teams entered.

Marauder. I used to live in Thorne and Moorends and would go the back way through Stainforth to Bentley to watch the Dons at Tattersfield, but I digress. Despite the many false starts in Doncaster for RL,I have always thought the town had the potential to be a very successful area in RL. It seems to have all the ingredients, a decent sized population, a proximity to the Yorkshire coalfield hotbeds of the game and. as you say, in the past, a decent sized amateur base. There is no need for a cold sell scenario as there is on other expnsion areas. The awareness of the game is there.

When they got promoted to the old first division, I thought the game would take off and they started promisingly. They then went bankrupt, but, if they had had the financing that many of the SL teams of today attract, I am sure they would be a successful SL franchise as we speak.

The current success, if built on in CC, might finally launch this club onto a successful future. I am certain the potential is there. By the way, good luck to your Moorends team in the future. When I was there the only rugby was at the RU team.

Programme auction too late to enter my 1938 Challenge Cup Final & 1954 Championship Final, I wonder how much they would be worth?

Bleep, you might be too late for this auction at Hunslet but there is a fair chance that the next one will be at the beginning of the new year in Bradford.

There have been quite a few history books about Idle but I've never heard any rugby teams mentioned in any of them. Undercliffe were, and maybe still are, based at the cricket club and that was as close as it got from what I read.

I live in Idle too - small world - and have not heard of on either, although I will try and find out. we currently have two teams in the area, both in the Pennine League:

• Undercliffe Wild Boars (currently top of div 4) they change at Idle CC and play at Rawdon Meadows, although I think it is the pitch just next to the Stansfield on the opposite side of the road.
  • Victoria Rangers (bottom of div 4) and they play at the Eccleshil S&S club on Harrogate Road :)