Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geoff Lee

For those interested in the history of Rugby League

32 posts in this topic

Nice one stewpot. Let me know if you discover anything.

Vic Rangers once played Widnes in the Challenge Cup!

Nice one stewpot. Let me know if you discover anything.

Vic Rangers once played Widnes in the Challenge Cup!

Fascinating. I find it frustrating that I cannot find a history of the Challenge cup. Results even for the competition proper seem unobtainable - other than the finals, and even then details of many of those games are missing.

The best source I have had in the past were old CC SF programmes and they would include the qualifying rounds which in years gone by had the odd pub team making it all the way to round 1. I seem to recall Kippax White Swan playing Leigh in the 1st round during the 70s.

Just a reminder about this event tomorrow for those who often forget things. Also to say that I have been told that a queue has already formed outside the building showing just how keen some fans can be about the history of Rugby League!

Fascinating. I find it frustrating that I cannot find a history of the Challenge cup. Results even for the competition proper seem unobtainable - other than the finals, and even then details of many of those games are missing.

The best source I have had in the past were old CC SF programmes and they would include the qualifying rounds which in years gone by had the odd pub team making it all the way to round 1. I seem to recall Kippax White Swan playing Leigh in the 1st round during the 70s.

Graham Morris published a book called "Destination Wembley" in 2009, which has details of all the Challenge Cup finals up to that point. I don't have a copy of it, but it may have details of earlier rounds.

He has also produced a similar book on the Championship/Grand Finals. I have a copy of that, and it is excellent.

Graham Morris published a book called "Destination Wembley" in 2009, which has details of all the Challenge Cup finals up to that point. I don't have a copy of it, but it may have details of earlier rounds.

He has also produced a similar book on the Championship/Grand Finals. I have a copy of that, and it is excellent.

Many thanks Steve. I will keep an eye out for it.

a long shot but does anyone have any information about a team that played in the leeds & district league in the 1920s and 30s they were called LEEDS UNIVERSITY YOUNG MENS INSTITUTE and were quite a good team for a few years .

even Kendal ( If thats in Lancashire )

Kendal is the old county town for Westmorland, it is in the modern county of Cumbria.