Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

Sinfield to lead England

42 posts in this topic

Yeah that was weird re Robinson - he looked like he could actually cause some damage. Instantly dropped.

Yeah that was weird re Robinson - he looked like he could actually cause some damage. Instantly dropped.

And it's not as if his form significantly changed during that period, either. In his limited chances to play for his country, he looked utterly unfazed by the opposition and created opportunities for the team.

Aware im probably opening up the can of worms again, but thought it worth mentioning that Sinfield has not played 13 for more than two years. So can only see him playing at 6 for England too.

Just add it to the mind boggling selection choices of the Emgland coach.

Oh well.

Maybe he has a grand scheme to make sure that the Aussies can't plan for a game against us and come the WC final he'll play a blinder and put out the most gifted, balanced team ever to wear the Genoese Cross?

Too Old, Too slow and sadly never done much on the International stage. Personally I think the likes of Sinfield, Morley etc have had their day and should not be even picked let alone be captain. Mcnamara should have been building a younbg team ready for 2013. Instead he has picked the same old faces who do very little even though they may star in SL. Yet one of the best young guns in the NRL in Widdop he leaves on the bench and gives him 5 minutes! The Aussies and Kiwis must be fearing the England team for the WC and its coaching

Indeed

Consistently he has left our most dangerous players off the pitch while reverting to type and picking the same old tried and failed faces

Sinfield at 9 might be a good choice, better than Roby (yes IMO, Roby is great for the Saints style, its not a GB style) but he needs a foil - and means we need a 3rd prop acting from the base of the scrum

I can see him being England coach one day (Really, I reckon he'd make a cracking coach), but he's failed to perform on the international stage for some time now and we should give the young lads a chance to develop into winning squad. I think the old guard are holding the team back if I'm honest, not because they're not good players, but because they've had their time to prove themselves and didn't make it. By putting them in the squad over and over again what's going to change? Unless Sinfield is in the best form of his life he shouldn't be playing, same for Morley or Peacock or anyone else of their ilk. I know having a squad with hardly any experience is also not ideal, but having one with no winning experience can't be that much of a help can it?

As he will be playing though, he'd definitely be my pick for captain.

If Sinfield starts at 6 ahead of Widdop then we should all give up.

Genuine questions.

In this day and age, is there really that much difference between 6 and 7? And could Sinfield and Widdop not both play in the halves at the same time?

Whatever the pluses and minuses of him getting the captaincy, Sinfield does have a knack of picking up trophies at Old Trafford come Autumn time so here's hoping/ praying he keep up the habit next November.

Here's my team - with a few surprises guaranteed to shock the Aussies next year:

1. Bailey

2. Hardaker

3. Mossop

4. Chase

5. Sinfield

6. Offiah

7. Westwood

8. Jones-Bishop

9. Tomkins

10. Ellis

11. Hall

12. Brough

13. Widdop

I also think that Westwood should play at 7. It's a position that suits his strengths well.

;-)

Also agree with Robinson, he caused a lot of problems when he played. As did crabtree.

I also think that Westwood should play at 7. It's a position that suits his strengths well.

;-)

Don't because Mcnamara might be reading this forum. Steve play ben at second row he isn't suited to scrum half as he's played second row for Warrington for a good few years and done a very good job.

Totally deserved.

I agree - he deserves his chance to translate club success to international level.

Doesn't matter this year as Widdop is unavailable isn't he?

He definately desrves this, as others have said possibly next year may be different. He hasn't played lock for two seasons so you'd probably expect him to play in the halves, which poses this question for next year, we've been crying out for NRL experienced half backs for ages, so why Widdop hasn't come over for this year to give time playing with the team I'm not sure. Having said that I reckon last years four nations was the best we've seen of Sinfield in an international jersey after some average performances in the past..

Personally I'm hoping to see the halves for the world cup both being NRL players by then, 6 Garreth Widdop at Melbourne

7 Rangi Chase at St. George Illawarra

AT LEAST HE'S SQUEAKY CLEAN AND WONT LET HIS TEAM DOWN BY SWEARING AT TV CAMERAS OR GETTING SENT OFF FOR CHUCKING A PADDY UNLIKE ANOTHER ENGLAND CAPTAIN ANNOUNCED TODAY, MAY I PRESENT TO YOU THE NEW CAPTAIN OF THE ENGLAND KICKBALL TEAM...MR WAYNE ROONEY!!