Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EastLondonMike

No more Steeden..

77 posts in this topic

Rhino become official ball supplier for SL..

The RFL and Super League (Europe) Ltdhave agreed a three-year contract withRhino that will see the contact and training equipment company become the official ball supplier for all Super League and Championship club matches until the end of the 2015 season.

Rhino, who supplied the post protectors for Super League and RFL matches in 2012, have been the official supplier of training equipment to St Helens in recent years, as well as supplying teamwear to a number of rugby league clubs.

RFL Commercial Director James Mercer said he was delighted to welcome Rhino to the sport’s expanding stable of commercial partners.

“I would like to congratulate Rhino on winning what was a very competitive commercial process to become the official ball supplier to Super League and the Championships,” said Mercer.

“Rhino are an established brand in rugby union and we look forward to working with them over the next three years as they look to replicate that success in Rugby League.”

Rhino Chief Executive Reg Clark commented: “This is an important breakthrough for Rhino and follows on from us being appointed official ball supplier to the British and Irish Lions for the second successive tour and to the RaboDirect PRO12 competition.

“We are very excited about this partnership which gives us immediate contact and coverage of Rugby League clubs at all levels of the game – from community upwards.”

On the strength of this close association, Rhino expects to gain valuable credibility in the sport and is planning to grow a significant share of the market in balls, team- and training-wear over the next three years.

Steeden will remain the offcial ball supplier to international games hosted by the RFL as well as the RL World Cup in 2013.

Photo: James Mercer (RFL) and Andrew Moss (Rhino) in foreground, with Gary Linke (RFL), Martin Johnson, Tony Colquitt and Reg Clark (all Rhino) left to right behind.

"Rhino are an established brand in rugby union and we look forward to working with them over the next three years as they look to replicate that success in Rugby League.”

Rhino Chief Executive Reg Clark commented: “This is an important breakthrough for Rhino and follows on from us being appointed official ball supplier to the British and Irish Lions for the second successive tour and to the RaboDirect PRO12 competition."

Made for kicking then...

i always liked Steeden rugby balls.. better than any other rugby ball i've used. Hopefully Rhino will be as decent..

Bring back the Mitre balls with no studs caked in ####. Would love to see the modern day players so called better handling skills

Bring back the Mitre balls with no studs caked in ####. Would love to see the modern day players so called better handling skills

bring back the original rugby balls that had carrying handles I say

what about them placky orange balls that we used as kids, they'd liven up the kick on the fifth tackle. especially if it were windy lol

Probably will be the same ball with a different name as most rugby balls are now made in sweatshops in India.

Foam balls, I say. The players would risk less injury then. It's farcical that hard leather balls and shoulder charges are still in our game!

Foam balls,

Didn't someone try that in the Grand Final?

what about them placky orange balls that we used as kids, they'd liven up the kick on the fifth tackle. especially if it were windy lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably will be the same ball with a different name as most rugby balls are now made in sweatshops in India.

I must have missed that documentry :O

i always liked Steeden rugby balls.. better than any other rugby ball i've used. Hopefully Rhino will be as decent..

As an amateur Rugby League player I really like Steedens. I own a Super League 'The Steeden' Match Ball, the type they used in the early 2000s and its a fantastic design for throwing about. I hope the new (?) Rhino balls are Rugby League specific balls, the quality of the Steeden 'Symmetry' that is currently used in the NRL and Super League. I wouldn't like to see Super League using the same balls they use in the RaboDirect PRO12, as they're designed for RU and I personally prefer the flight of a Rugby League specific ball when it is passed.

http://gnsports.digitalvirtue.net/products/steeden/balls/match-balls/nrl-telstra-premiership-match

http://www.rhinorugby.com/store/rhino-rugby-balls/rabodirect-pro12-rugby-balls-1/rabodirect-pro12-match-ball-P.html

Seeing as they're machine made I think it's more likely they're made in hi-tech factories with far smaller production factories in Japan/South Korea/South East Asia rather than Aus or in the West, however somehow I don't think they're handstitched in India. :lol:

I like still like the Adidas Torpedo they use in the ITM Cup in NZ and the Heiniken/Amlin Cups in Europe however as they're Rugby Union balls they would be too 'fat' to be used as Rugby League balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_qhGzbtNo&feature=fvst

it is surprising that a lot of people do not know that league and union balls are different, I hope rhino realise!

Didn't Sheffield just use standard Gilbert balls during the late 90's?

As an amateur Rugby League player I really like Steedens. I own a Super League 'The Steeden' Match Ball, the type they used in the early 2000s and its a fantastic design for throwing about. I hope the new (?) Rhino balls are Rugby League specific balls, the quality of the Steeden 'Symmetry' that is currently used in the NRL and Super League. I wouldn't like to see Super League using the same balls they use in the RaboDirect PRO12, as they're designed for RU and I personally prefer the flight of a Rugby League specific ball when it is passed.

http://gnsports.digitalvirtue.net/products/steeden/balls/match-balls/nrl-telstra-premiership-match

http://www.rhinorugby.com/store/rhino-rugby-balls/rabodirect-pro12-rugby-balls-1/rabodirect-pro12-match-ball-P.html

Seeing as they're machine made I think it's more likely they're made in hi-tech factories with far smaller production factories in Japan/South Korea/South East Asia rather than Aus or in the West, however somehow I don't think they're handstitched in India. :lol:

I like still like the Adidas Torpedo they use in the ITM Cup in NZ and the Heiniken/Amlin Cups in Europe however as they're Rugby Union balls they would be too 'fat' to be used as Rugby League balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_qhGzbtNo&feature=fvst

Happy, you're talking "balls" again! ;-)

it is surprising that a lot of people do not know that league and union balls are different, I hope rhino realise!

I sent them a message on Twitter last night to check :)

I'm pretty sure they will have an idea...

This is unlikely. I doubt any of them have read an internet messageboard.

Don't bring back the Grey and Blue Kukri ball used in the National Leagues about five years ago. Couldn't see the bl00dy thing.

Happy, you're talking "balls" again! ;-)

Well I like... D'oh! :lol:

The first Rugby game I went to was Englamd/Wales at the RLWC '95, however I didn't really start getting into RL properly until about 2009. When I first joined TRL (in '09) I didn't really realise the differences between RL balls and RU balls. Now playing/training in both codes the differences are very noticable.

I hope the tenure process looked into the design of the ball rather than the Au$70 - Au$80 (guestimate) per ball of Steedens. ;)

They seemed pretty blank when i rung them yesterday for a quote. To be fair the announcement had only just been made so maybe the info just needs to trickle down from "up high"

There was actually an article in the Sydney press not long ago. Investigation over a few months revealed that the balls used in some other codes here were made in some atrocious conditions but no mention of Steeden.

Possibly still made in Aus because knowing the press over here, if there was even a sniff of child labour involved in the RL process then they wouldn't have held back.

Pretty poor as Steeden is a RL company in the same way Kookaburra is a cricketing company... Getting sold out for a Union mob is bad form from the RFL

There was actually an article in the Sydney press not long ago. Investigation over a few months revealed that the balls used in some other codes here were made in some atrocious conditions but no mention of Steeden.

Possibly still made in Aus because knowing the press over here, if there was even a sniff of child labour involved in the RL process then they wouldn't have held back.

Every Steeden ball my son has says "made in India".