Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EastLondonMike

No more Steeden..

77 posts in this topic

Ah! Weak joke.

Yes, but one that I've been trying to figure out how to make for the last few days...

Bang on! I'm guessing they will retail about £40 - £60 for 1 ball at retail price, rather that £90 for a Gilbert Virtuo used in the Aviva [RU] premiership, but I'm sure the RFL will have worked ot a really good deal for buying in bulk. Hopefully the training balls will retail for £8 - £ 12 as Steedens currently do.

Seeing as they're based in Somerset, I wonder if Somerset Vikings and Bristol Sonic [i know Bristol isn't Somerset, but close enough] will manage to wing themselve some really good deal? :D

Btw, its not exactly 'the end' of Steeden in RL, as I'm guessing they will be used in the Challenge Cup next year, the RLWC 2012 Balls are Steedens, and the Aussies will still use Steedens at all levels.

The Rhino CEO talks about 'Community RL' on the Super League website but I expect us amateurs will be using the good old £10 Steeden Match Balls, which are excellent balls if the grip hasn't worn off.

Whatever you may think of the decision to dump an RL company in favour of one associated with RU, there is something positive about this deal, a decent RL mention in the Times' business pages.

Page 48 of today's paper features the deal, worded as a 'breakthrough ..deal with the Rugby Football League and Super League Europe to supply match balls for the Super League, the Challenge Cup and all domestic rugby league competitions.' Quite something it would seem.

Apparently the chairman of Rhino, Andrew Moss, was former chief executive at Aviva who obviously sponsor the English RU Premiership. He obviously sees value in the sport, hopefully he found the RFL a decent organisation to deal with, and maybe someone like that can help get other companies on board with the game.

Lets hope the quality of the product is as good.

Yes, but one that I've been trying to figure out how to make for the last few days...

Few days? Or a weak? :dry:

Why? Just because they won the Grand Final?

Why? Just because they won the Grand Final?

No, just because they've got the same name

Is Tony Colquitt still on the board at Leeds Rhinos if so is it a conflict of interest

When did he join the board at Leeds?

Is Tony Colquitt still on the board at Leeds Rhinos if so is it a conflict of interest

Is he the former Saints bloke? Isn't he now involved with Gloucester or one of the other new teams?

Is he the former Saints bloke? Isn't he now involved with Gloucester or one of the other new teams?

Was at Saints, former executive with Gilette, now at the Oxford club.

He's at Oxford RL now. How is a ball manufacturer supplying balls for the best price a conflict of interest anyway?

How is a ball manufacturer supplying balls for the best price a conflict of interest anyway?

Because Leeds run the RFL

Are these the balls summer amateurs will be using next year?

Match Balls:

http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=638

Training Balls:

http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=638

The Rhino Vortex XIII was used in the Oxbridge Varsity match earlier in the year but I guess that is the 'cheaper' model as the Vortex XIII is RRP at £30 and the 'Vortex Elite' [Rugby Union version used in the RaboDirect Pro12] is RRP £90? Or does that just mean the RL balls are lower quality? :huh:

http://www.rhinorugby.com/store/blog/?p=510

Think I'll buy myself a Rhino Tornado XIII training ball to see how it compares to Steeden training balls.

Had my first look at the Rhino balls yesterday and have to say they are not a patch on the Steeden balls. Steeden's have much more grip and the Rhino feels slightly heavier.

Noticed at the weekend Saints using a Steeden in their game against Salford also..

Watched 5 games with the new balls and have not heard one comment , good or bad from the players .

Watched 5 games with the new balls and have not heard one comment , good or bad from the players .

Youre not looking in the right place!

On Twitter, someone complimented the Salford and Saints players on twitter for good handling in poor conditions on friday. The Salford players (Gibson and Broughton I think) replied saying that it was because they were playing with a yellow Steeden ball! There have been a few other grumbles from players on twitter too.

Had my first look at the Rhino balls yesterday and have to say they are not a patch on the Steeden balls. Steeden's have much more grip and the Rhino feels slightly heavier.

Noticed at the weekend Saints using a Steeden in their game against Salford also..

I must read previous posts more carefully! Yes they played with a Steeden, I assume because Rhino havent provided a yellow ball yet! As already posted, a few players commented on it being better to handle despite the arctic conditions.

Youre not looking in the right place!

On Twitter, someone complimented the Salford and Saints players on twitter for good handling in poor conditions on friday. The Salford players (Gibson and Broughton I think) replied saying that it was because they were playing with a yellow Steeden ball! There have been a few other grumbles from players on twitter too.

Would be interesting to compare the offloads and errors stats from Friday night when Saints used a Steeden and Wire/Hudds used a Rhino.

Anybody have these comparisons - I know these stats are on SL Fulltime?

Would be interesting to compare the offloads and errors stats from Friday night when Saints used a Steeden and Wire/Hudds used a Rhino.

Anybody have these comparisons - I know these stats are on SL Fulltime?

Having looked at the Super League website and the error stats on there, the error counts were as follows:

Warrington v Huddersfield - Rhino Ball used

Warrington errors - 17

Huddersfield errors - 15

Total errors - 32

Warrington offloads - 12

Huddersfield offloads - 7

Total offloads - 19

St Helens v Salford - Steeden Ball used

St Helens errors - 8

Salford errors - 12

Total errors - 20

St Helens offloads - 6

Salford offloads - 6

Total offloads - 12

There concludes the hugely unscientific research that conclusively(!) proves that the Rhino ball causes more errors!

Obviously its not as black and white as that but i was surprised at the difference in the two. Warrington do tend to play a more carefree style, shown in the offloads made, which does result in more errors.

Interesting nonetheless (even if it can be easily dismissed as coincidence!)

Having looked at the Super League website and the error stats on there, the error counts were as follows:

Warrington v Huddersfield - Rhino Ball used

Warrington errors - 17

Huddersfield errors - 15

Total errors - 32

Warrington offloads - 12

Huddersfield offloads - 7

Total offloads - 19

St Helens v Salford - Steeden Ball used

St Helens errors - 8

Salford errors - 12

Total errors - 20

St Helens offloads - 6

Salford offloads - 6

Total offloads - 12

There concludes the hugely unscientific research that conclusively(!) proves that the Rhino ball causes more errors!

Obviously its not as black and white as that but i was surprised at the difference in the two. Warrington do tend to play a more carefree style, shown in the offloads made, which does result in more errors.

Interesting nonetheless (even if it can be easily dismissed as coincidence!)

Cheers - it is interesting, unfortunately it's quite difficult to make a reasoned point due to the massive difference in playing styles, as you say, Wire are pretty well known for having a high error count.

It does show that St Helens played a very conservative game on the night.

The ratio of offloads to errors was nigh on identical in both games.

quite conicidently i'm sure, but on this weeks SL show Brian Noble commented on how impressive the handling and low error count was for Saints and Salford in such obviously bad conditions.