Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

allroughyed

today signing is ...

81 posts in this topic

Good signing and along with the last couple really starting to get interested in next season. Will this mean that Roden might play at loose forward at times this season as you cant afford to leave your best players off the field.

I've been calling for Neil to be switched to loose forward for last couple of seasons . Think he's too exposed at stand off and opposition are able to get in his face and rough him up but he will be able to come into the line where ever he wants from loose forward and will make it much more difficult to target him . This could give him a new lease of life and we may see the best of Neil again . Lewis Palfrey looks to be another good signing and it is encouraging that he too is looking forward to linking up again with our new coaching team in common with most of the other new signings.... just goes to show how highly they are rated .

Another good signing, has played at a higher level and as ruffyed says, he keen to link up with new coaching team.

Not wanting to be critical and dampen the enthusiasm in this thread but I think we're up to 19 signings now and the majority of the squad consists of a number of reserve players being promoted to the first team and a number of young lads with bags of promise. We dont really have much proven quality to guarantee we get out of this horrendous league at the first time of asking.

Two up for promotion gives us a good chance of going up but I'd like to see some proven quality to make certain of it.

Not wanting to be critical and dampen the enthusiasm in this thread but I think we're up to 19 signings now and the majority of the squad consists of a number of reserve players being promoted to the first team and a number of young lads with bags of promise. We dont really have much proven quality to guarantee we get out of this horrendous league at the first time of asking.

Two up for promotion gives us a good chance of going up but I'd like to see some proven quality to make certain of it.

Got to say I agree with this the signs look good so far but we do need a bit more experience to help these young lads along and guide them on the field this can't be done from the touch line and can't be done by Ratty alone.

If we could get something like Ellison, noone, Brocky and Lucas back that should cover the experience. Have to wait and see

If we could get something like Ellison, noone, Brocky and Lucas back that should cover the experience. Have to wait and see

Definatly Noone, but i am assured Lucas and Ellison are at Oxford unless they renage on the deals?

Naylor and Spencer clearly have their own plans and way of doing things that are going to be significantly different to the previous regime. Young lads are more maleable and keen. Brocky yes would be an asset the others would slow the game down which was evident last year. Good servants to the club but time to move on.New broom and all that.

Been on the cards for Noone to go to Barrow for a while now. Gave a good first season but was spoiled by injury last season. Would like to see the younger lads given a chance now.Belive Cookson has signed again which is a good addition with the other U25's we have from last years squad

Don't know for certain, no one does, but I do wonder if last season's players (with the exception of Greenwood) who are rumoured not to be resigning are not happy with what's expected of them from the new coaching regime. If not, thanks for your efforts, good luck in the future and we now move on. I hope I'm right in thinking that the new coaching team could be the breath of fresh air we have needed for a number of years. Lee Spencer's assertion that there will be no diminution in the standard he is used to working to should reap immediate and long-term benefits on the field. The results will prove or disprove all this, one way or the other.

Just sent off my cheque for my season ticket.The letters with the application form were like chalk`n`cheese>The one from Scott was brilliant-very stirring,raising hopes/expectations and setting out his stall (respect/honesty)..Pushed me into sending it off (plus I`d miss the craic);the other from CH was,frankly,embarassing asking people to sponsor part of the pitch for 10.00:either he`s been badly advised or he`s desperate or he`s taking the micky.Or maybe it`s me missing the point.I`m no marketing man but there must be more sensible ways of trying to raise cash.

I agree with some other people on the forum:I would like to see Brocky on board:he can cover a number of positions and he`s a good club man from what I`ve seen-just gets on with it.Plus Scott will know better than us,a couple of ``owd `eads` ,1 in the pack (enforcer),the other at half back.Also agree with putting Roden at 13.

Hey,John in Oz,maybe you WILL end up coming back if we get a Frank Foster type in the end-maybe he`s out there,somewhere,lol !!

Other than that,am getting a good feeling,as Afi said,about how the squad is taking shape.

Raff......let me when a reincarnation of the one and only Frank Foster lobs at Whitebank and I'll be on the first plane back !!!!

Raff....let me know when a reincarnation of the one and only Frank Foster lobs at Whitebank and I'll be on the first plane back !!!

Yes..............classic pic of the great man............got it in the "Star Players" section of the Complete History 1876-1997 book........all too brief spell ORLFC....happy days though !

Should be interesting to see whether there are any more signings this week . If not this may give a clear indication that we're going into partnership with Salford . We were told that we would be looking at a squad of 24 / 25 and so far we have signed 20 allowing the remaining 5 squad places to be filled by dual reg players from Salford .

I agree. If we are not running a reserve team (which woudl be sad) then no point having more than 24 max to keep harmony in the squad. We have a solid 20 I think so I wouldn't rush any more.

Last week was the first week of training together. Scott probably needs to have a good look at he's got before using up all the available money.

Agree with Ruffyed :without going into conspiracy theories or whatever,the messages seem to lead us to that conclusion.

Looks like Luke Stenchion is on his way to York. Good, solid prop when he was fit, but seemed to be injured for most of last season. Good luck, mate. Still think we need a bit more experience in the threequarters, at half back and in the pack. But, if I'm right about the new training regime being as close to SL as can be achieved with part-time players, as I've referred to previously, it may be difficult to persuade older players to change their ways so late in their careers.