Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Boy

Oh Dear! Salford in bother

275 posts in this topic

An official average gate of 7k was good in the 70s. Just out of interest, what was Wires average gate in the Wembley winning year of 74?

I can only go back as far as 75/76, when Wire were the fourth best supported side at 4711 with Saints (4759), Salford (5313) and Widnes (5949) above them. Just for interest, Wigan's average was 3933!

Salford is not a rugby area and never has been really. It doesnt have a strong amateur base it can use to bring in young players, crowds or work to help develop the club and game in the area. Its crowds are small and there never really has been much interest shown in Salford by locals for decades. Salford are just drifting through SL fighting to stay alive-much like a few others sadly. It has had chances to change itself, but has done very badly in promoting itself. I do feel the new Stadium should have been the springboard for Salford to be a top 8 side if not a top 6 one. Becoming a bigger and better club takes a few years, but it needs something to build off. It doesnt just happen. Salford wasted the chance.The New Stadium in a decent area, right next to the motorway and the chance to be "THE" Rugby club of either code in the Manchester area. Instead they have allowed Sale in and for me just simply waited and hoped things would happen. Even if a new consortium take over, its going to take many years to be a decent well run club. Salford has a negative vibe about it and to get rid of that reputation, will not be easy and no doubt will require money, time and patience. Its OK a new consortium coming in, but they have to get Salford to be something different and that is not just going to happen overnight. I dont feel much will change with Salford unless they have somebody who is willing to spend alot of money. A new owner will still have to initially work with small crowds, a club losing money and a negative vibe. And the problems now will be the same for the next few years. Unless the Consortium/Investors are willing to throw hundred of thousands of pounds at Salford, the financial millstone will bring them down once again.

Excellent post Lizzy....

Worth repeating the clubs statement?

As was reported recently, Salford City Reds were in court this morning in relation to a winding up petition brought by management consultants Steuer Gregsson. The result of the hearing was that Steuer Greggson withdrew the petition as the matter had been settled between themselves and Salford City Reds prior to the court date. The hearing was adjourned, as expected, until 7th January 2013 due to two players attaching themselves to the petition, however the club maintains that payments owed to these players will be made on time and in advance of the second court date. This matter relates to contractual payments not due to be made until the end of November. The Club are still in discussions regarding future investment. Meanwhile we welcome the players back to training in approximately one week and look forward to the new campaign.

Well we are still going. Just. Perhaps we will get a last minute new owner and manage to turn it around? But its not great right now. :( - I am truly fed up with it all at the moment. I just want to enjoy rugby not talk about financial c##p all the time.

We have 14 senior players contracted for next year that I know of - plus of course our remaining teenagers. It might be a bit more - we have not updated the website squad section yet!

Looks like a fun season ahead. :lol: - never mind, its only a game............... :rolleyes: .

Salford are already producing players, it's holding on to them that causes the problems!

The investment might not need to be too much, there are issues with the way the club is run rather than the amount of money.

On a brighter note - On SKY Sports News; Joel Moon is definately playing for Reds next year.

Phil Veivers has 5 players to sign on - he just can't do it until the money nonsense is sorted out ....... :unsure:

Worth repeating the clubs statement?

As was reported recently, Salford City Reds were in court this morning in relation to a winding up petition brought by management consultants Steuer Gregsson. The result of the hearing was that Steuer Greggson withdrew the petition as the matter had been settled between themselves and Salford City Reds prior to the court date. The hearing was adjourned, as expected, until 7th January 2013 due to two players attaching themselves to the petition, however the club maintains that payments owed to these players will be made on time and in advance of the second court date. This matter relates to contractual payments not due to be made until the end of November. The Club are still in discussions regarding future investment. Meanwhile we welcome the players back to training in approximately one week and look forward to the new campaign.

That is a load of nonsense, quite frankly.

The judge would have dismissed the petition if the money wasn't due, you can only legally petition once a debt has passed its due date. Salford's claim that it is for payments not due until November does not hold any water at all.

BTW, the players are owed around £40k each and are saying it is for back monies owed via a salary sacrifice scheme. When those kind of sums are involved you can not blame the two players for their actions. Also, HMRC have now joined the petition for an as yet undisclosed amount of unpaid PAYE, though I note that Salford have forgotten to mention that.

I didn't think HMRC had joined yet, They weren't represented at the hearing today.

The original petition was withdrawn.

By any measure the game is in better shape that it has been for many years - and I have been a fan since 1957.

Wrong Internationals in the 90s regularly had crowds of up to 70,000 watching unlike today. Has their ever been a period in the game where so many teams in the top division have gone in administration or had court order against them? And the game is in a very shaky state financially and I dont see how you can say that its never been in better shape. Theres rumours most weeks with clubs having problems. The clubs and RFL are killing the game at many levels with their selfish decisions and narrow thinking. Getting rid of the U20s to save money. forcing amateur clubs to play in summer etc. While you may think that the game has never been in better shape many dont

Wrong Internationals in the 90s regularly had crowds of up to 70,000 watching unlike today. Has their ever been a period in the game where so many teams in the top division have gone in administration or had court order against them? And the game is in a very shaky state financially and I dont see how you can say that its never been in better shape. Theres rumours most weeks with clubs having problems. The clubs and RFL are killing the game at many levels with their selfish decisions and narrow thinking. Getting rid of the U20s to save money. forcing amateur clubs to play in summer etc. While you may think that the game has never been in better shape many dont

Or looking at it another way, has there ever been a period in the games history when the tax man has pursued sports businesses with the so much vigour for unpaid bills.

Clubs have a long history of leaving tax bills in the bottom draw, it just happens that these days the revenue man is a bit more vigorous in chasing unpaid bills.

One thing that annoys me is think about how much money has gone into the pockets of so many average overseas players in the past 10-15 years.

stop signing them then.....simples

Correct.

Fortunately, we appear to be moving away from the mindset that "Even a poor overseas player is better than no overseas player".

It always surprises me that in the soccer transfer window, not signing a player is seen as a weakness/failure - if you are happy with what you have, or nothing better is available then stick with it.

Wrong Internationals in the 90s regularly had crowds of up to 70,000 watching unlike today.

Interesting. Can you help fill in the post-1990 gaps in my records? My Rothmans data only goes to the 54k at Wembley on 27 Oct 1990, the 46k at OT on 10th Nov 1990, and the 32K at Elland Rd Nov 1990 with 32k. Won one, lost two.

As for the rest, financially the game was on its knees in the 1st half of the 1990s as clubs struggled to match Wigan.

never know 70,000 crowds in my life for international RL.

Interesting. Can you help fill in the post-1990 gaps in my records? My Rothmans data only goes to the 54k at Wembley on 27 Oct 1990, the 46k at OT on 10th Nov 1990, and the 32K at Elland Rd Nov 1990 with 32k. Won one, lost two.

As for the rest, financially the game was on its knees in the 1st half of the 1990s as clubs struggled to match Wigan.

I was going to raise this point.

In 1992 we had 72k for the World Cup Final.

In 1994 we had around 56k (Davies' wonder try game).

In 1995 we had around 66k for the World Cup Final.

The comment 'we regularly had up to 70k' was slightly out IMHO, as the reality is that the 90's delivered many lower crowds than that.

This decade we have had a few 40k crowds - this IMHO is the figure that we need to start working towards on a consistent basis.

never know 70,000 crowds in my life for international RL.

One - 72k in 1992. Not sure how old you are to be fair!

This decade we have had a few 40k crowds - this IMHO is the figure that we need to start working towards on a consistent basis.

Overall there has been a big decrease in average attendances at Test matches. GB/England versus Australia/New Zealand had an average attendance of 37,656 from 1990-2000, but the period 2000-2010 has an average of 24,228 which is a drop of 40%.

Undoubtedly some of this is down to unambitious choices of small stadiums but the overall trend is downwards.

Maybe saying regularly was out but certainly International crowds were way higher and the game had a way higher profile than it does this century. Playing at Wembley a number of times helped and should have been built upon. And clubs have gone bust in any era or had many troubles that have seen court appearances, but the amount in the top league has likely never been as high as the past couple of years (Wakey, London, Crusaders, Bradford and Salford) To believe the game has never been in a better shape simply for me is not true at all and the game is very much at a junction where the wrong decisions could seriously take the sport backwards as a whole and not forwards. The decision to axe the U20s for example has to be one of the worst decisions to have been made for a long while. The decision to force the amateur clubs to play in Summer also is for many a poor decision. The Challenge Cup is struggling to get many fans interested except in the final

Overall there has been a big decrease in average attendances at Test matches. GB/England versus Australia/New Zealand had an average attendance of 37,656 from 1990-2000, but the period 2000-2010 has an average of 24,228 which is a drop of 40%.

Undoubtedly some of this is down to unambitious choices of small stadiums but the overall trend is downwards.

Yep. I agree with your last line too.

In every series I would look to stage a showpiece game, outside of the normal venues.

They did this in 2003/4 playing at MCFC and got 38k, and did it last year at Wembley and got over 40k.

The Challenge Cup is struggling to get many fans interested except in the final

Same can be said of the playoffs bar the final. It's partly the "season ticket" culture and the fact that people seem to think only one match matters - the final. Not too sure what can be done there, football seems to have a similar problem with it's cup comps.