Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Boy

Oh Dear! Salford in bother

275 posts in this topic

Sounds like a storm in a tea cup from what I could gather from the news bulletins on Radio Manchester tonight, dispute with a sponsor/management company, still its something for the doom and gloom merchents to get there teeth into with various end of the world scenerios as the knees jerk into action.

I don't think it is a joke and to some extent I have to agree with him. London Broncos are not exactly in the pink, the skolars are a joke, ditto, crusaders, south wales and I don't expect any of the three 'expansion' clubs to be anything other than struggling on attendances of 2-300 within a couple of seasons. Gateshead are a bunch of whipping boys.

This whole expansion will, eventually, come home to bite RL in the backside. I have always thought it would and have never had reason to change my mind.

London Skolars are NOT a joke. They've fought a hard battle over the years but I dare say their average crowd last season was in the same region as those heartland giants from Oldham & Rochdale. They also finished just behind both of those this last season and along with North Wales will push them both hard next season.

As for the expansion clubs - Hemel Stags are a fantastic Rugby League club with teams from 4/5 year olds all the way up to the big boys. They've supplied a large amount of the Broncos current youth setup and Sarginson and Dixon from their first team. Hemel have put in more hard work and have achieved more - and will continue to do so - than many two bob heartland clubs.

Ignore the ineptitude of the Broncos administration, there really is something special happening in the South East as far as Rugby League goes it just saddens me that so many Northern RL fans can never take their blinkers off. Stand alone and you'll die alone

stewpot, expansion won't come back to bite RL on the ###### but staying still definitely will.

Its not an either/or choice; its the only choice.

The investment that Salford RLFC are waiting for is from Peel Holdings, who, it seems, are williing to pay off the debts and run the club, but they are not prepared to pay anything for the club to the current owner, and that is why the situation is currently a stalemate!

PS Most people judge the state of Rugby League by what happens at Super league clubs, but there is plenty of hard work being done to promote the game by the so called "joke clubs" that would put many heartland clubs to shame, but its happening in schools and at amateur level. Where do you think Super League players come from? I would love Sky to pull their money out of Super Greed and then we would really say which clubs are a joke and which ones are not!

London Skolars are NOT a joke. They've fought a hard battle over the years but I dare say their average crowd last season was in the same region as those heartland giants from Oldham & Rochdale. They also finished just behind both of those this last season and along with North Wales will push them both hard next season.

I agree with you that Skolars are no joke but the average crowd thing is way off.

it's a joke, a laughing stock and a farce

when are people going to realise that Rugby League is a Northern game?

Salford are a Northern team CLOWN, love to know what your going to say when the RFL scrap licencing and bring back P + R because thats what will happen. Your either going to have to admit the RFL are the fools we have been saying all along, or admit your a complete clown and have been talking utter shiiite all these years. Cant wait. By the way you dont do sarcasm very welll make yourself look even more idiotic if that is remotely possible

Clearly this forum is proving a little too much for you. Try lying down for a while.

Salford are a Northern team CLOWN, love to know what your going to say when the RFL scrap licencing and bring back P + R because thats what will happen. Your either going to have to admit the RFL are the fools we have been saying all along, or admit your a complete clown and have been talking utter shiiite all these years. Cant wait. By the way you dont do sarcasm very welll make yourself look even more idiotic if that is remotely possible

Whoooosh! as the forum saying goes

Are stewpot and LOWFIELD RLFans regulars or something?

Opinions mean nothing without offering a solution.

If you bother to make a journey SOUTH of Crewe, you will see that we are no joke.We are in this for the long haul. We are more dedicated to the game than many in the 'Heartlands' because we have to be to get it off the ground and make it work. We travel further in one year for games then many of you will travel in three.There are lessons to be learned on the way, for sure but it will be worth it in the long term.

Are stewpot and LOWFIELD RLFans regulars or something?

Apparently its the latest government initiative for care in the community, you let people roam other forums first to see if they can hack communicating with real people.

Stewpots heading 'home'.

If you bother to make a journey SOUTH of Crewe, you will see that we are no joke.We are in this for the long haul. We are more dedicated to the game than many in the 'Heartlands' because we have to be to get it off the ground and make it work. We travel further in one year for games then many of you will travel in three.There are lessons to be learned on the way, for sure but it will be worth it in the long term.

I happen to agree with you mate. There's been some tremendous work done. I'm a big fan of the way Hemel have come through and can see the potential in the Hertfordshire area as well as others.

You will quickly learn on these forums though that there tends to be 2 camps.

One will tell you it'll all fail cos you've no history behind you and not enough infrastructure - the other lot will tell you that it'll all fail if you haven't several million quid and 10k gates.

A curse on both their houses!

One example of the way so called established clubs do not seem to take the game seriously, is the way the SL clubs have simply dumped their greed on the championship clubs by using them as feeder teams just to save themselves a few bob.

They should certainly take a leaf out of the many areas developing the game and working hard at it.

Gateshead are not a waste of time either. They have been shafted twice, once when they had to compete in SL with no TV money and then were forced to amalgamate with Hull to save Hulls bacon.

They started a second club, won CC1, were, promoted, stayed up but then some dispute over shares saw their money man quit and they requested demotion and have struggled to survive ever since but survive they have. If you have been paying attention they are signing up quite a few new players for next season and should do better, especially ina revamped CC1.

The amateur game in the North East is very impressive, probably the best on heartlands area outside of London.

Crusaders are not a waste of time either. They have been shafted twice but are still alive and kicking. They had a decent season last year and are building further this year. Clive Griffiths is one of the best coaches in the whole of RL. They are aiming for 600 season tickets( I think I read that somewhere ) They are hosting a WC quarter final next year. The amateur game in the area has grown since they moved North. I think they too will be a force in CC1 next season

I wish Oldham and Rochdale and Hunslet and Swinton and York all the best but these expansion clubs have much more to offer than these souless feeder clubs and one who staggers from crisis to crisis and whose ground, whilst a step up from having no ground, is the worst on the whole league.

The way these clubs survive against incredible odds and who seem to be prospering set an example of perseverance and survival skills these struggling SL clubs like Salford and Castleford would do well to emulate.

The premier expansion club, the shining star of expansionism in the UK is Sheffield but there is a whole other thread about them.

They should certainly take a leaf out of the many areas developing the game and working hard at it.

Should they?

Don't they just get accused of exploiting everything if they so much as say they are sharing a pitch with an nearby side? Those areas you praise are just taking away resources from proper RL people anyway.

Should they?

Don't they just get accused of exploiting everything if they so much as say they are sharing a pitch with an nearby side? Those areas you praise are just taking away resources from proper RL people anyway.

In what way ?

In what way ?

Read the reactions to the 'feeder clubs'. No one knows what will happen yet but it is the usual....'super league exploiting this/that/the other'

L'Angelo is right. Nothing to see here folks, so move along please.

I think you owe me money. no I don't , I won't pay as I think you didn't do a good job. OK, I'll issue a winding up order to get your attention

I thought people issued county court claims for debts John? The issuing of a winding up order surprised me? I don't know the system, we have a couple of accountants on here and the odd legal eagle (booooo) thay may shed light on this odd situation.

exactly

look up the word irony in your ladybird dictionary.

I happen to agree with you mate. There's been some tremendous work done. I'm a big fan of the way Hemel have come through and can see the potential in the Hertfordshire area as well as others.

You will quickly learn on these forums though that there tends to be 2 camps.

One will tell you it'll all fail cos you've no history behind you and not enough infrastructure - the other lot will tell you that it'll all fail if you haven't several million quid and 10k gates.

Well I only respond to try to exonerate myself from either camp.

What do you mean by "fail"??

I'd say failure is a club who go into Superleague, can't pay the maximum wage bills even with the TV money, don't compete, lose players, then get a new ground and can't fill that, then run out of investment. That's Salford - they have failed at what they tried to do. It's a fact but it's not a criticism.

I'd say failure is a CC club who spend all they have and manage to get into the Championship but with little money left don't compete and eventually step forward as the first club to formally become a feeder club to it's local SL neighbour. That's Hunslet - they have failed at what they tried to do. It's a fact but it's not a criticism.

I'd say massive success is a semi pro club from a non heartland area that went bus but came back, that wipes the floor with the heartland Championship clubs and takes the Championship Grand final. A massive success to be celebrated. Sadly the celebrations are curtailed by setting the club up with ambitions they can't (IMHO) achieve.

I'd say success is a semi pro club from a non heartland area miles and miles away managing to survive in CC1 and gently building a (small but important) RL culture such that schools play, amateurs play and people start getting interested. To me that's a success not just for the club but a monster success for the game and it's attempts to become a truly national sport. Insert one of several names here.

Then round the corner to me there's a club way down the amateur ladder who have moved into the north Leeds Rugby Union playing belt (where many other clubs have failed) and they run two teams and a womens side, are a great social club and have wonderful links all over, down the road is a student team who amazingly can take on semi pros in the Challenge cup. Two massive successes.

Success and failure is relative.

If people have an axe to grind they'll have a go, but in the considered debates I've had with many level headed people I think they cheer success at all levels and sympathise with failure.

As I say Dave when you find people being insulting and mean spirited about RL clubs there's usually some self interest axe grinding away......

look up the word irony in your ladybird dictionary.

I looked this up...

Clowns are stereotypically characterized by colored wigs, stylistic makeup, outlandish costumes, unusually large footwear, and red noses.

I've always meant to look out for you at Leeds Akkies matches. It should be easy now I know what you look like Ange.

I agree with you that Skolars are no joke but the average crowd thing is way off.

Maybe I'm wrong - I looked in mid season and they werent that far apart. When I get a moment later I'll try to work it out (unless that kind of thing is already on the web somewhere?)

As for the expansion clubs - Hemel Stags are a fantastic Rugby League club with teams from 4/5 year olds all the way up to the big boys. They've supplied a large amount of the Broncos current youth setup and Sarginson and Dixon from their first team. Hemel have put in more hard work and have achieved more - and will continue to do so - than many two bob heartland clubs.

Ignore the ineptitude of the Broncos administration, there really is something special happening in the South East as far as Rugby League goes it just saddens me that so many Northern RL fans can never take their blinkers off. Stand alone and you'll die alone

Oldham have been a laughing stock for a while - to hold up crowds of 500 as a success is a joke. I go to amateur games that regularly get bigger attendances.