Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wonky

Jamie Acton

55 posts in this topic

Funny you should say that , I actually wrote oldfashioned loose forward then scrubbed it out . I know what you mean . Shame really , look at older games on YouTube and you see so much more ball playing . I was staggered watching some footage of the 82 kangaroo tests , brilliant stuff with Ray Price and Wayne Pearce playing with great skill . Power , muscle and tackle counts now take over from finesse in this age to a big extent. I'd much rather watch a Brad Clyde or a genius like Jason Smith to a Dallas Johnson or , I can hardly say it , Ryan Bailey . Nowadays they have to be out n out forwards working tirelessly and making 50 tackles . There are still some ball players around here n downunder but not as many as years back . Back to Lupton , no doubt that's his position .

Gotta disagree with you a bit there price and Pearce were the first powerhouse 13s and didn't play like extra pivots, they were a pair of machines though

Ok just clips I saw ... Brad Clyde , Fittler in his youth , Tawera Nikau and Jason Smith who I saw lots of are better examples. Still years back . Fantastic ball playing talents which most teams had.

I don't think we've had a proper loose forward since Craig Walsh, who was an outstanding ball player. But unfortunately we only had him for a few games. Dave p is about the closest we've had over recent years but I would still say he's more a work horse than a ball player. If you have a creative half back pairing then I would go for the likes of petersen who put the workload in.

Yes that's the main point isn't it wonky . Teams now rely heavily on the halves for creation , and if they're outstanding you don't need any extra help - you see that in the NRL where they , and often just one half , takes all the burden .

Get a good half pairing and they'll do the job . If not then a Lupton type is very useful . Dave who can do a little ball playing to add to his massive shift would be ideal either way . He would be the man to go for .

Jason Smith unbelievable , how often was he smashed up and knocked out and battered around and carried on !!!

I don't think we've had a proper loose forward since Craig Walsh, who was an outstanding ball player. But unfortunately we only had him for a few games. Dave p is about the closest we've had over recent years but I would still say he's more a work horse than a ball player. If you have a creative half back pairing then I would go for the likes of petersen who put the workload in.

Aye craig walsh outstanding for haven in 2004 scored around 30 tries that season got in the end of season champ team at 13 then gotta serious injury at barrrow in the NRC start of the next season was never the same player again

I've always liked Westerman , thinking of today over here . He has something .

Funny you should say that , I actually wrote oldfashioned loose forward then scrubbed it out . I know what you mean . Shame really , look at older games on YouTube and you see so much more ball playing . I was staggered watching some footage of the 82 kangaroo tests , brilliant stuff with Ray Price and Wayne Pearce playing with great skill . Power , muscle and tackle counts now take over from finesse in this age to a big extent. I'd much rather watch a Brad Clyde or a genius like Jason Smith to a Dallas Johnson or , I can hardly say it , Ryan Bailey . Nowadays they have to be out n out forwards working tirelessly and making 50 tackles . There are still some ball players around here n downunder but not as many as years back . Back to Lupton , no doubt that's his position .

It may be Lupton's position but that would leave us needing TWO halfbacks.

Yep, but I just don't see Lupton as a natural dynamic half . With his lack of pace but his experience and guile , I think he's a 13 and seems more at home there . With Olstrum and maybe Dave or Annakin ,we'll probably still see him playing half though , and he can of course with his class and vision ... If fit of course . That's still a big if , certainly early doors. Even if he does play half we'll need 2 or 3 new ones with his injury issues. A top amateur and one who's done it at this level would be ideal.

Good to see we're building our squad in the offseason ... Woodsy in the star saying he doesn't mind building up his squad n changing it as the season goes along .

I honest think, from what both players have said in the past, we will see both petersen and annakin in a town shirt next season. If it was one or the other I would have to go with annakin, on the simple basis that dave will be in the super league squads more than he will. Maybe a season long loan for annakin and dual reg for petersen would suit all parties best.

Both more than welcome , can't have enough good players . And Dave has utility value . Newton is welcome to as we still look for hooker cover , but as I thought Walne must be very much in Salfords plans seeing we've looked elsewhere. He'll make a SL impact next year.

I think the club wont to get some kind of contract with CALLUM PHILLIPS mutch better half back than we have at this time, Very good passer of the ball and a very good eye for an opening get in there before them lot down the road.

You can forget about signing James Newton, DavidM, he has signed for Haven. Someone from the south end of the county where Newton's from says on the Haven forum that he signed for Haven because Town didn't want him as they had already signed someone for his position!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that one of Annikin or Petersen???

Just for the record Newton played 3 games for us Rochdale (away) where he struggled; Crusaders (away) where he had a decent game from the bench and against Scorpions at home he had a fine game and showed what he was capable of, so he showed a bit of promise but if we have signed Annikin or Petersen then I am more than happy with that.

Yes your right about the small sample , we may need another natural hooker as cover and I was just thinking of him because he was here . Any good player would do . And correct about the other two lads, either is fine !

We have a fine lad there in Olsturm who can do the hooking job for matty and then you can always think of Bamber or forber can slot in there too as well as fill in for our new half back when he flys over from the southern hemisphere

Alister Leak from Egremont, have a look at him Town! Promise hes class.

Hire me! I could be a scout from the Mont hah. :lol:

Alister Leak from Egremont, have a look at him Town! Promise hes class.

Hire me! I could be a scout from the Mont hah. :lol:

Didn't I say that a few weeks ago on here. :lol: :lol:

You can forget about signing James Newton, DavidM, he has signed for Haven. Someone from the south end of the county where Newton's from says on the Haven forum that he signed for Haven because Town didn't want him as they had already signed someone for his position!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that one of Annikin or Petersen???

Just for the record Newton played 3 games for us Rochdale (away) where he struggled; Crusaders (away) where he had a decent game from the bench and against Scorpions at home he had a fine game and showed what he was capable of, so he showed a bit of promise but if we have signed Annikin or Petersen then I am more than happy with that.

i didnt think we would sign newton so thats no suprise really keith. He will get a jersey at haven where as i dont think he would have as much at town.

I don't think we can make a real judgement on Newton, because of the little we seen of him. Although no doubt he is a better player than matty according to the idiots down the road. I always thought he was an out and out hooker, so I don't see petersen or annakin being the player we have for his position. Also on another note I would prefer to see Karl at loose forward rather than at hooker, and get a proper experienced player in that position to back matty up.