Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

Chris Bryant MP

100 posts in this topic

I think that most gay people are born with those tendencies; most straight people aren't. The problems arise with the very small number of teenage kids who are confused about their sexuality. They could make a mistake, or be exploited and the experience could haunt and scare them for the rest of their lives.

I agree with that. Young people who are confused about their sexuality should be counselled properly and not exploited. However, I see no reason why a homosexual man cannot perform this task, I would actually go as far as saying a homosexual man may be in a better position to do this as opposed to a heterosexual person or a celibate.

I think that most gay people are born with those tendencies; most straight people aren't. The problems arise with the very small number of teenage kids who are confused about their sexuality. They could make a mistake, or be exploited and the experience could haunt and scare them for the rest of their lives.

No - ALL gay people are born with those tendencies. It cannot taught.

Anything other than consensual sex is rape no matter what the gender or sexuality of those concerned.

So a straight person could exploit a homosexual teen leaving them haunted and scared?

So a straight person could exploit a homosexual teen leaving them haunted and scared?

Yes.

Anyway, I'm fed up of talking about this topic. You are dragging it out with successive questions just like l'Angelo does. You are unprepared to say what you believe, just pick holes in what I believe. I find it pathetic.

You know where I stand and I'll leave it at that.

Against the wall with a terrified look on your face?

You don't think homophobia should be challenged?

Absolutely, yes, actions derived from or motivated by it should be challenged, but is it right to go round telling people what thy must think? Start where the need is greatest and the wins that much bigger.

The most dramatic contrast was found in attitudes towards homosexuality. None of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable. 1,001 non-Muslim Britons were interviewed. see http://www.guardian....y-homosexuality

or with the Catholic Church see http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19383571

is it right to go round telling people what thy must think?

Yup.

Yup.

Quite! If what someone thinks is simply wrong then it's a duty to tell them.

Start where the need is greatest and the wins that much bigger.

Alternatively challenge ALL bigotry, of ALL sizes, and on ALL possible occasions. That way the"wins" are more frequent and more numerous.

Quite! If what someone thinks is simply wrong then it's a duty to tell them.

Similarly, I expect people to challenge my own opinions.

I don't quite know how a debate is meant to work otherwise.

Alternatively challenge ALL bigotry, of ALL sizes, and on ALL possible occasions. That way the"wins" are more frequent and more numerous.

Here you go then: admin@mcb.org.uk and benedictxvi@vatican.va

Do tell us how you get on.

how Orwellian!

Free speech means having the right to say what you think.

And then having someone answer back.

Similarly, I expect people to challenge my own opinions.

I don't quite know how a debate is meant to work otherwise.

Quite so, though I always thought debate did not extend to accusation or diktat. Telling someone what they should think is a tad different to explaining why you think your point of view is correct.

Free speech means having the right to say what you think.

And freedom of though? telling them what they must think, too?

Here you go then: admin@mcb.org.uk and benedictxvi@vatican.va

Do tell us how you get on.

Will do.

Quite so, though I always thought debate did not extend to accusation or diktat. Telling someone what they should think is a tad different to explaining why you think your point of view is correct.

I'll happily call someone with homophobic views a homophobe.

Should I be politically correct and dress the wording up in some other fashion to make it less blunt?

Putting to one side the question of sexual orientation, for the time being, I think there is a fair point within some of Woler's posts, about what standards should be expected of a public servant when they are making information about themselves publicly available. If the alleged posting by Bryant was true, then I think it is unacceptable under the terms of conduct of many public bodies and would have been likely to have resulted in a disciplinary investigation; this would apply whether the advert was posted by a man, or by a woman, or by a heterosexual, or by a homosexual, or a bisexual. Lots of companies and voluntary organisations I have been involved with take a similar approach also.

Posting this shows a real want of judgement on Bryant's part. Some people seem to be unable to envisage the consequences of posting personal information on public websites that can damage their individual standing, cause upset to those close to them and potentially can result in reputational damage to the organisation for which they they work.

I'll happily call someone with homophobic views a homophobe.

Do what you like. its a free country. Jut make sure you are right, though. Homophobia is fear of homosexuality ( or I guess fear of homosexuals)

Will do.

Seriously, will be keen to hear if you get a reaction at all, as it is a big issue for those two organisations.