Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

First Hillsborough, now Orgreave

36 posts in this topic

Is there any doubt at all that Orgreave is one of the biggest stains on this country's recent history?

Is there any doubt at all that Orgreave is one of the biggest stains on this country's recent history?

Am I right in thinking that BBC News colluded in the dissemination of lies regarding the events that day?

Gosh, is such a long time ago, though I do recall lots of graphic footage , lots of Scargill interviews.

The biggest shock is that people didn't think that the police behave like this daily, never mind after notable incidents. But people turn a blind eye to it because its usually to ensure the people get what they want and that "#### get locked up", so you'll have to forgive me if I find all of this faux shock and outrage difficult to stomach. Your average copper these days is no more law-abiding than anyone else, and this mythical notion about our 'wonderful bobbies' is rubbish. Hillsborough, Orgreave, wherever, you will find this happened, and continues to happen, at any event which the police are involved in - its nothing new and nothing will change no matter how many public inquiries you have. You can't change a programmed mentality that easily.

Am I right in thinking that BBC News colluded in the dissemination of lies regarding the events that day?

Yes they did, the BBC reported the miners attacked the Police first, when infact it was the other way round.

yes

Yes they did, the BBC reported the miners attacked the Police first, when infact it was the other way round.

It is alleged that the BBC edited the film so that the clip showing miners throwing stones (and pork pies apparently) at the police occurred before the police charge, whereas the opposite was the case.

I used to live next door to a police officer who pocketed some nice overtime during the miners strike. He used to boast that there was a command issued to the police officers to kick the shins of the strikers to provoke them into a violent reaction.

The biggest shock is that people didn't think that the police behave like this daily, never mind after notable incidents. But people turn a blind eye to it because its usually to ensure the people get what they want and that "#### get locked up", so you'll have to forgive me if I find all of this faux shock and outrage difficult to stomach. Your average copper these days is no more law-abiding than anyone else, and this mythical notion about our 'wonderful bobbies' is rubbish. Hillsborough, Orgreave, wherever, you will find this happened, and continues to happen, at any event which the police are involved in - its nothing new and nothing will change no matter how many public inquiries you have. You can't change a programmed mentality that easily.

I don't think its a question of turning a blind eye, I think for the vast majority who's daily lives don't bring us into contact with the police carry on in a blissful ignorance/state of naivety. I watched the Donald Trump film on Sunday night and was genuinely surprised at how the police acted towards the freelance journalist. Judging from the reaction on twitter I wasn't alone, although I can't even remember the last time I talked to a member of the police force let alone had dealings with one in a professional capacity.

It is alleged that the BBC edited the film so that the clip showing miners throwing stones (and pork pies apparently) at the police occurred before the police charge, whereas the opposite was the case.

Thats true, I was there.

Not all the boys in blue were serving police officers.

As an ex Squaddie I've asked this question many times simply because of the rumour going around was that squaddies where filling in for policemen on the picket line, not one ex or serving squaddie has ever said they had been drafted in to do a policemans job.

I used to live next door to a police officer who pocketed some nice overtime during the miners strike. He used to boast that there was a command issued to the police officers to kick the shins of the strikers to provoke them into a violent reaction.

We played against Milnrow in the National Cup and about 10 of their players where policemen, we where a team with about the same number of striking miners, we had 3 tries disallowed and they won the game by a couple of points, we won the fight with ease and they bought the beer all afternoon not letting us buy a single drink.

As an ex Squaddie I've asked this question many times simply because of the rumour going around was that squaddies where filling in for policemen on the picket line, not one ex or serving squaddie has ever said they had been drafted in to do a policemans job.

I know it to be true.

As I understand it, the trained "stormtroopers" in the Gwent Police were not generally deployed to police major gatherings of miners in South Wales ... probably because the authorities knew there was wholesale support for the Welsh miners and did not provoke confrontation; they did not want mates fighting against mates or the public joining in.

The riot police were primarily deployed elsewhere in the country, often as standby backup on a waiting brief, and paid generous overtime and lodging allowances ... hence a lot of them surreptitiously contributed generously to the Miners Support Fund.

With regard to our rugby union club in Yorkshire; the strike was a taboo conversation topic ... we were not in a strong mining area but there were too many hardened opinions for each side of the dispute.

If they were drafted in, in secret, acted, in secret and never had their presence acknowledged it's hardly likely they'd suddenly go, "Oh, you know what, seeing as it's you and we're having this pleasant drink and you're a stand up guy unlikely to blab in the future on something called the internet, yup, we did it ..."

I know it to be true.

One of my many roles in the armed forces took me into contact with many of the teeth arms and even today I still have many friends scattered all over the world, some have gone onto become highly ranked in the police force, some are still servingin the forces and many others have gone over to the dark side, not one has ever come across a member of the armed forces who have stated they helped the police during the miners strike.

Gingerjon I'm not sure if you ever served in the forces but if you did you will know where a soldiers loyalties would be.

One of the biggest occupation groups arrested during the strike were servicemen. They came back home on leave, joined their dad’s/brothers/mates on the picket line and piled in to help them when they were getting roughed up by plod.

so that'him off the hook! severance package, full pension, avoided any disciplinary action.

My very first thought when I saw the story; leave now and keep the very nice pension etc. Hang around, get found guilty of misconduct and get booted out with nothing. Nice work if you can get it.

My very first thought when I saw the story; leave now and keep the very nice pension etc. Hang around, get found guilty of misconduct and get booted out with nothing. Nice work if you can get it.

When I heard the criticism of him from the candidates for the Police Commissioner post in W Yorks, I thought he was left with little option but to resign. He had become a political embarrassment to the W Yorks Police Authority and the politicians that sit on the board would no doubt be keen for him to go. He obviously can't be taken through a disciplinary process as he has resigned, but he could still face criminal charges, but the latter is highly unlikely I think. A person's involvement in a conspiracy is notoriously hard to prove.

I'm from a mining village and obviously have no instinctive sympathy for the Police deployed in the Miners Strike.

However, Sir Norman Bettinson is innocent of any charges and remains so until the moment he is found guilty, or pleads guilty, in a court of law.

The BBC (local radio and television) seems to me to be rabble rousing by being selective about who it chooses to comment on his resignation. BBC Leeds might as well be Radio Merseyside on this issue.

:dry:

Just fancy that!! So, as predicted, by resigning he escapes any possible disciplinary charges and lives a wealthy retirement funded by you , me and the Hillsborough victims' families.

Sir Norman Bettison will receive an £83,000-a-year pension unless he is convicted over the Hillsborough cover-up, Merseyside Police Authority said. The police authority said the payments, from a central taxpayers' pot, will come into effect now he has resigned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eyside-20079755