Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

First Hillsborough, now Orgreave

36 posts in this topic

I think, like Hillsborough, the recession, the disgrace of the bankers, the exposition of profiteering by the privatised rail and fuel companies, the decline in home ownership, the truth about Orgreave finally emerging is yet another example of the decline of Thatcherism, and its #### child,New Labour. This article in the Guardian says it all

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/oct/27/1980s-britain-thatcherism-final-reckoning

We played against Milnrow in the National Cup and about 10 of their players where policemen, we where a team with about the same number of striking miners, we had 3 tries disallowed and they won the game by a couple of points, we won the fight with ease and they bought the beer all afternoon not letting us buy a single drink.

I remember Greater Manchester Police having a team in the NWC League - although affiliated to the Rochdale ARL - I don't think they ever managed to get 10 serving police officers playing for them !

This article in the offshore tax havening Guardian says it all

Says all there is to say about this rag that is only in existence because it is sheltering behind tax avoidace and ruthless job cutting.

Style: Zero

Content: zero

Readership: zero

As an ex Squaddie I've asked this question many times simply because of the rumour going around was that squaddies where filling in for policemen on the picket line, not one ex or serving squaddie has ever said they had been drafted in to do a policemans job.

I doubt they asked the average squaddie, they needed people who would keep their gobs shut.

I doubt they asked the average squaddie, they needed people who would keep their gobs shut.

I'm fairly sceptical about the squaddie claim myself, what isn't in dispute is that "policemen" on the picket lines were wearing boilersuits without their numbers on them, which is itself illegal. Private security firms?

Says all there is to say about this rag that is only in existence because it is sheltering behind tax avoidace and ruthless job cutting.

Style: Zero

Content: zero

Readership: zero

Grow up John.

I'm fairly sceptical about the squaddie claim myself, what isn't in dispute is that "policemen" on the picket lines were wearing boilersuits without their numbers on them, which is itself illegal. Private security firms?

I repeat. I know for a FACT that there were HM Forces involved. Cannot say anymore.

Things people say are facts, are often not facts. :) FACT! ;)

B)

Not entirely sure about there being squaddies on the front line. But, after seeing documentary footage, I am pretty sure the police there that day had received military training and guidance. It is a matter of record that they were receiving training for weeks prior to the confrontation, using every (often completely illegal) tactic they ,could to prevent the miners congregating on the site until they were ready. I'd really like to know just how far up the 'food chain' those decisions were made; as it involved cross service (military and police) cooperation at a pretty high level I have always suspected those orders came from the top of government. Meaning we had, for a brief period, in certain areas of the country pseudo martial law with the police acting as the governments private army under military institution conducting a political, (and not as the police's role ought to be, anti criminal) attack on the country's own citizens. The 'enemy within' indeed.

I remember going for my graduation ceremony at Hull City Hall in July(-ish) 1984. On that day there was meant to be some coal coming into the port at Goole and the miners were set to picket there. When we got to the Goole exit on the M62 the motorway was closed and all cars were taken up the slip road whilst the police checked who was in the vehicles. We were then waved on and went down the entrance slip road and finished our journey. Don't what happened if they didn't "like the cut of your jib" but I suspect it involved being put back on the westbound carriageway.