Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joe elliot

Cumbrian League

131 posts in this topic

Regarding the finances, how much do clubs get from the NWC towards traveling? also, as I understand it, the league are trying to book a season long deal with one operator from Barrow and one from Allerdale/Copeland area to try and get the best possible deal for clubs to help make it sustainable?

Whether it comes off or not, I think the guys from Barrow and West Cumbria who are pushing it deserve some credit and support from the clubs as they have recognised there is a problem in the game as a whole and are trying to improve the quality of competition while at the same time reduce running costs for clubs as well as try to ensure that the Barrow clubs especially get home games, which was a problem last season according to this forum.

Just from a players point of view, i would want to have proper success by playing teams every week of a standard that was competitive.

All clubs need to do is look at what they are doing now in which ever league their currently in and ask themselves if they are acheiving anything other than getting by. Clubs used to compete for the top leagues and cups in the country, the effects of travelling for the past 15 years has caught up and the local game needs a shot in the arm.

So who is in this league then? and is it going ahead?

I think its Barrow Island, Walney, Cockermouth, Maryport, Distington, Seaton, Glasson and Wath Brow A. Should be a good league

It,s going to be a lot of travelling on that awful road for the Cents and Island lads,would have been better if another two or three Barrow sides had entered.

It,s going to be a lot of travelling on that awful road for the Cents and Island lads,would have been better if another two or three Barrow sides had entered.

Think that people are banking on once the league gets up and running two more Barrow sides will join in 2014 and maybe another two the year after

Have none of the clubs even looked into trains? we all know how bad this road is surely the train option must have been raised at at least one of the clubs?i would also hope that there is a few more south cumbrian teams in it next year, would make a cracking league.

I think the 2 island clubs have recognised there is going to be a problem next year in the North West mens league, it's not ideal that just 2 clubs have joined as it kind of defeats one objective of the proposed league, which was to give the Barrow teams more home games and less travelling.

Hopefully the other local teams will want the same things next season and opt for the Cumbrian League.

If say ulverston, pioneers and Hindpool did choose to switch then all the clubs would then benefit from the new structure, hopefully after the pilot season the league will be able to offer a professional well put together proposal to the remaining local clubs.

I noticed that Dalton's opponents couldn't raise a team yesterday!

So the League has got started, with last weeks fixtures being tight. It will be interesting to see how it goes, the big test being our friends from up the coast fulfilling their Barrow fixtures.

All the noise's suggest that they will which for me will then pose the question what could the league look like next season?

The playing standard looks very similar to the premier league without maybe the top sides in it. So playing wise it certainly would of suited Roose, Ulverston, Dalton and Hindpool than the leagues they are in at the moment.

So if the standard is more suited to our local side's and offers local derbies to every club that joins Barrow island & Walney in the division can you see anymore Furness teams joining the flagship Cumbrian League?

I know the downside of it is the Coastroad, apart from that though the positives for me seem to outweigh the negatives, especially if your club is wanting to prosper finance wise.

I'm pretty sure Glasson are traveling down the M6 and across tomorrow for their game, not sure which way Distington are going, the deal that the league has with the coach company means they can go either way for the same money.

I've also heard that Maryport are using a coach next week, and going on the train later in the season to Walney to see which is best for future games, my mate said the train was a lot cheaper than the coaches, and works out at £9.00 each. As each club gets £100 per trip towards traveling, that would only cost the club £125 for a party of 25!!

I know you can't use the train for all games, but certainly any team traveling to Maryport could easily go by train as the station is adjacent to both clubs, likewise if Dalston or Millom join in the future the train would be a good option, maybe they could get Northern Rail on board as a sponsor!

I do like the idea of the train, i cant see it costing alot for a few taxis from the station if needs be. A stop off at Foxfield on the way home as well. Happy days.

If dalton dont switch to summer can see lads moving away and them being in danger of folding as there not getting games in that winter league ..

If dalton dont switch to summer can see lads moving away and them being in danger of folding as there not getting games in that winter league ..

Got beat last Saturday

Massive crowd yesterday for barrow island v walney, it looks like the gamble the two clubs took is paying off.

If you had stayed in NWML you would have still played Walney this season and possibly Roose aswell.

The size of the crowd is nothing to do with being in the Cumbria league, it was the only game on for miles. Millom to the North and Heysham to the South were the closest other games taking place so you had a captive audience.

Whatever tiger, the Cumbrian league so far has been a success, you only have to ask the players. I still fancy you though shawy so just start agreeing with me.

You always get ratty when your hungry, must be the lack of a Burger King on the coast road

The difference is a more competitive division Shawy, if other teams join then it benefits everyone.

I hope the other clubs see the light and see how playing local derbies every other week would prosper them too.

I prefer the Bowness burger now on away trips, especially blondes

The difference is a more competitive division Shawy, if other teams join then it benefits everyone.

I hope the other clubs see the light and see how playing local derbies every other week would prosper them too.

I prefer the Bowness burger now on away trips, especially blondes

Another three very competitive games last weekend in the Cumbria Men's League, Cockermouth lost 10-4 to Seaton, Glasson and Maryport drew 10-all and Wath brow beat Distington by 28-24, only 10 points difference over three very hard games. And also good crowd at the Glasson v Maryport derby to compare with the crowd at Barrow Island and Walney game last week, I know it has its knockers, but so far this league is delivering everything it promised, so long may it continue!

see one of the best amateur teams in the country (LMR) couldn't raise a team to go to ulverston at the weekend shocking really.

this could be the one of the best competitions in the country if the rest of the local teams joined in.

What teams would be in it though?

IMO from furness 

B I 

Walney

Askam 

Hindpool

Roose

Ulverston

Millom A

From up north

Distington 

Seaton

Maryport

Glasson

Cockermouth

Brow A

would be class

couple more teams from up north maybe, but to me that would be great.

or am i just talking sh*te? :D

Couldn't see Millom A being strong enough to compete in this lead or having a big enough squad to do it. In a ideal world all off the cumbrian conference teams would join but this discussion has been had before and the will to do it isn't there

Realistically next year should be looking to increase to maybe ten teams from the current eight I believe Hensingham will be applying to join the league it would really benefit from one or two more furness based clubs. The league is going great at the minute and personally I cant wait to play both Barrow Island and Walney for the change of scenery from playing against the same old same old

I could see Pioneers and maybe Ulverston joining next year and if Dalton see sense and go summer it would suit them too. The away trips have been a big hit with walney and barrow island lads as they've been enjoying Bowness in the sun, just taking in the sights apparently.