Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foozler

Oldham

403 posts in this topic

So as to avoid taking another thread ever further off topic, I thought I'd start a new one in relation to Oldham.

Does anyone know which SL club the Roughyeds have linked up with?

talks have stopped.........hopefully its because chris hamilton has realized he'd lose the small amount of fans the club has left...

talks have stopped.........hopefully its because chris hamilton has realized he'd lose the small amount of fans the club has left...

Other than the fact that the club has a pretty decent history (albeit not so good in recent years), and that the Oldham area has produced some outstanding RL players over the decades, I don't know a great deal about the club. Would the fans really walk away if the club were to link up with a SL club?

I only ask as I was reading an interesting article about Swinton and how they are already benefiting from their link up with the Wolves, since they now have access to a standard of facilities and conditioning expertise they could only dream of before. Of course no-one knows how all this will wash out, but it certainly seems it could be positive if the tie up allows for the lower division clubs to access the know-how further up the food chain.

I only ask as I was reading an interesting article about Swinton and how they are already benefiting from their link up with the Wolves, since they now have access to a standard of facilities and conditioning expertise they could only dream of before. Of course no-one knows how all this will wash out, but it certainly seems it could be positive if the tie up allows for the lower division clubs to access the know-how further up the food chain.

The problem arises, I suppose, when some C1 clubs are left without a partner and they don't have that advantage. Some may opt out but others will simply be left out and so within a division there will be a kind of haves and have nots divide. This possibility is one of two aspects to this arrangement that leaves me feeling uncomfortable.

Other than the fact that the club has a pretty decent history (albeit not so good in recent years), and that the Oldham area has produced some outstanding RL players over the decades, I don't know a great deal about the club. Would the fans really walk away if the club were to link up with a SL club?

well we'll let other clubs be the guinea pigs.....and yeah fans would walk away from the club if we become a branch of a super league club

For most of my fellow Oldham supporters, rightly or wrongly it's seen as the final nail in the coffin.....and we are already struggling for air!

well we'll let other clubs be the guinea pigs.....and yeah fans would walk away from the club if we become a branch of a super league club

Cutting their nose off to spite their own face. Its a shame really.

not really........

we can build a club without the need of help from super league club..we have a development squad & a very good reserve team

we can build a squad without the help of another club

the club already has access to some of the regions newest and most modern training facilities via its sponsorship with OCL (oldham community lesuire, chris hamilton is actually on the board of OCL)..

the club is not far away from submitting plans for 2 new stands at whitebank....

we've even started a new amateur club "limehurst lions ARLFC" to get the local kids into RL instead of nicking cars!!

what the club needs is a injection of cash to get up back into the top half of the championship where the club should be at the very least...not to be someone else feeder club..

Of the squad announced so far by Oldham. Five of them have been produced through their own reserve team, Kenny Hughes,Jamie Dallimore, Danny Langtree, Phil Joy and Liam Gilchrist. this team has been run without massive handouts from the governing body, but because the people running the club despite the criticism they receive, saw this as the best way to take the club forward.

The proposed link ups between SL and CC/CC1 clubs will mainly benefit the SL clubs and in my view have come about as the greedy SL clubs do not want to spend any of their hand outs on developing this batch of players and therfore they are getting the lower league teams to do it for them. So if Oldham hold out without becoming SL reserves, well done to them. The RFL seem to be doing everything in their powers to try and kill off the games development in the town. The latest is to end the contracts of the towns development officers. This could see the demise of the Oldham Service Area.

Cutting their nose off to spite their own face. Its a shame really.

Who would they 'partner' with? Salford? No wait......I think you had a typo Gav as it certainly is a SHAM!

Who would they 'partner' with? Salford? No wait......I think you had a typo Gav as it certainly is a SHAM!

It isn't, but I'm not getting into it again.

Good luck making your club into a force in the Championship despite those meanies at Red Hall who clearly hate you. You're doing a sterling job so far.

Focusing on the potential demise of the Oldham Service Area, I had a quick think of who has probably come through this route in the recent past. With Kevin Sinfield as the latest, I make that the 3rd National Team Captain with Steve Molloy, Paul Sculthorpe. Not sure whether Iestyn Harris Captained his country or not. My point is it will be a great loss if this all comes to an end in December due to the RFL cutting their funding to the afore mentioned posts.

Is the Development Officer redundancies due to a cut in Sport England funding?

Is the Development Officer redundancies due to a cut in Sport England funding?

I think that, that is the underlying reason behind it. First all the area talent coaches went, now the pending loss of the development posts. This is compounded in Oldham as the previous very successful volunteers who ran the Service Area, resigned on mass. because they did not agree with the RFL introduced Pathway, which meant the Service Area's no longer played games.

So as to avoid taking another thread ever further off topic, I thought I'd start a new one in relation to Oldham.

Does anyone know which SL club the Roughyeds have linked up with?

St Annes

what if the few supporters that are left decide they don't want to watch a super league under 23 team playing in their club colours and either walk away from the game or even decide to follow the super league team instead.

Focusing on the potential demise of the Oldham Service Area, I had a quick think of who has probably come through this route in the recent past. With Kevin Sinfield as the latest, I make that the 3rd National Team Captain with Steve Molloy, Paul Sculthorpe. Not sure whether Iestyn Harris Captained his country or not. My point is it will be a great loss if this all comes to an end in December due to the RFL cutting their funding to the afore mentioned posts.

Phil Larder via BARLA was the driving force behind the schools program that developed those and earlier players. around that time Oldham had a cracking academy team that included one of my best mates who travelled there from Moorends for training and games.

Don't you guys know that there is no future for a RL club in Oldham.? This is counter productive to the welfare of SL if there is a senior club in the town. You are all to be good SL citizens and charter a mini bus or two and get to Salford City stadium for your RL entertainment.

Manchester is only big enough for one RL team and that is Salford. There is no room for a town of over 100,000 with a club with a stellar history of achievment in the game. You are to cease this Oldham can regroup and be successful heresy forthwith and march in lockstep to Salford. You cannot ever turn the clock back to your days of success today even if half the clubs in SL have done it, some in very recent years.

If you don't believe me check out the postings on the Salford are in trouble thread headlines " Oh dear".

...A town of over 100,000 with a club with a stellar history of achievement in the game.

That was then, This is now. Oldham has as much right as anywhere else to play rugby at top level. Indeed it has had more opportunity than most to do that. Does teh fact that it has not done so tell you anything?

not to mention oldham is home to over 200,000+.....also whitebank is closer to another 200,000+ people in tameside than ORLFC traditional home on the other side of oldham...

should we ever get our act together we'd have all of north east manchester and its nigh on half a million people all to ourselves..

god help you all if i ever win the euromillions :lol:

not to mention oldham is home to over 200,000+.....also whitebank is closer to another 200,000+ people in tameside than ORLFC traditional home on the other side of oldham...

should we ever get our act together we'd have all of north east manchester and its nigh on half a million people all to ourselves..

god help you all if i ever win the euromillions :lol:

2011 Census shows 224,900 people live in the metropolitan borough of Oldham.....and a further 219,300 in Tameside