Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EastLondonMike

Should the RFL take some responsibility from the clubs?

60 posts in this topic

Your last sentence is precisely the reason for revenue sharing. Does it work? Maybe not in the UK but in the NFL it is wildly siuccessful.

but we are not a major sport like NFL we are a niche sport and despite what many people want thats what we will be for a long time to come so to have central funding only would be a disaster as the local sponsors who put in say £10,000 a year for there local clubs would be lost to the clubs and if you add all those small sponsors up they add up to a pretty big amount and do you really think national sponsorships will increase to cover those losses let alone produce large additional income

I agree with that, but I do not see that the the theory breaks down. Rather, I see it that the RFL side of the deal needs to do better.

The RFL should in my view set, police and regulate the standards, which it very much does already. the comparison is say the Subway franchise..each one stands or falls by its compliance with the standards and by its own individual performance within that....but all within a strong and consistent framework that drives business (or fans) -strategic and tactical marketing, sales etc across the whole piece. I think the RFL have a long way to go in this but each year they are getting better.

I would agree with all of that in an ideal world. even spread across only the SL clubs however it would be quite an expensive project to operate effectively. As always it comes down to money and, if there is enough available to fund it, then it could only be a good thing.

We used to be sponsored upto the eye balls with six sponsored tournaments , heavily sponsored internationals etc but we were in partnership with companies who had something to gain i.e the beer and cigarette companies and the like. We need some realism with regards the basis of our game.

Yet the sport as a whole was still struggling financially even though the players and coaches were supposedly semi-pro.

Blame the clubs for that not the RFL.

Seem to remember 5 or 6 SL clubs voting against the deal but the RFL wen't ahead with it anyway ?

Seem to remember 5 or 6 SL clubs voting against the deal but the RFL wen't ahead with it anyway ?

The majority voted for it (although I believe the RFL voted for Catalan for some reason - I may have that wrong!)

Aye, thats democracy.

Saint Toppy,

Yes 5 did not vote for it, so the majority voted for it. Or do you think they should have gone with a minority decision? By your logic at the last general election the majority of the electorate did not vote for the coalition so Labour should have remained in power.

Saint Toppy,

Yes 5 did not vote for it, so the majority voted for it. Or do you think they should have gone with a minority decision? By your logic at the last general election the majority of the electorate did not vote for the coalition so Labour should have remained in power.

That seems about right to me.

Saint Toppy,

well thats conviinced me then lets go with the minority and get rid of the con/dems